Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Is it possible? Would you want to?

I want to watch my sport in an unambiguous, competitive league. The AFL isn't it. The State league is the only alternative, despite it being decimated since 1990 and currently feeding on the AFL's teat through funding and the SMA.

But many of us here are old enough to remember the halcyon days of state league footy and the great games, rivalries and players we had in our league.

The VFL ripped that off us. I want it back, somehow.

Thoughts?

I've always thought for the most SANFL to become more relevant in this era it needs to move/remove the weaker clubs and either bring in promotion relegation or have a Hills team/Victor Harbor/ Mount Gambier type teams to appeal to the masses.

Or have Norwood, Centrals, South and the Eagles (that covers each area, but happy to debate which teams )approach a breakaway group of the VFL and set-up a southern league

In my opinion, SANFL in its current form really has lost its relevance

I've always thought for the most SANFL to become more relevant in this era it needs to move/remove the weaker clubs and either bring in promotion relegation or have a Hills team/Victor Harbor/ Mount Gambier type teams to appeal to the masses.

Or have Norwood, Centrals, South and the Eagles (that covers each area, but happy to debate which teams )approach a breakaway group of the VFL and set-up a southern league

The biggest hurdle is funding. The SANFL sold its soul to the VFL some years ago to gain junior development funding from the AFL and more recently from the SMA deal.

I honestly don't know how we would disconnect all that and remain financially viable.

Is it possible? Would you want to?

I want to watch my sport in an unambiguous, competitive league. The AFL isn't it. The State league is the only alternative, despite it being decimated since 1990 and currently feeding on the AFL's teat through funding and the SMA.

But many of us here are old enough to remember the halcyon days of state league footy and the great games, rivalries and players we had in our league.

The VFL ripped that off us. I want it back, somehow.

Thoughts?
Rowey is that you?

Depends on what you’re after, if it’s elite football it’s not and never will be.

If you want to watch decent footy with mates, having a beer and banter, without the corruption (except when North win finals with 19 men), cheaper and easy access, the SANFL is a good comp.

The umpiring Adelaide cops in the SANFL suggests the league could be more corrupt than the AFL. Not to mention the disgraceful rules around lists and finals eligibility designed specifically to make us uncompetitive
Who cares, we shouldn't be in the comp.

Who cares, we shouldn't be in the comp.
Need to play somewhere.

An AFL reserves is best option but for now this is what we got. If you are in it you need to try an win it. And I hope we do. And I hope all the 70000 crows members get on board and support the club to get that SANFL Flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest hurdle is funding. The SANFL sold its soul to the VFL some years ago to gain junior development funding from the AFL and more recently from the SMA deal.
Absolutely, but at the end of the day propping up clubs just because they existed like the AFL does with North isn't viable
I honestly don't know how we would disconnect all that and remain financially viable.
Keep the money from SMA , just do it differently.

The biggest problem with the SANFL is the fact many players quit the league once they fall out of AFL contention they run off to the bush leagues to play with mates and earn big coin. The SANFL shouldn't rely on tradition because they don't have the product that really appeals to the bulk crowds. They should look to increase teams including regional teams.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely can’t get excited about a second tier comp no matter what they try.
Big crowds make a difference too, which sanfl will never have again.
I don't think it has helped their cause having whinging traditionalists bag the reserves teams. I think it's alienated a lot of potential attendees from going to those games.

I don't think it has helped their cause having whinging traditionalists bag the reserves teams. I think it's alienated a lot of potential attendees from going to those games.

Which is exactly what the traditionalists want
Never mind they'll die out soon enough, the crows and port will join the AFL reserves and the SANFL will lose any shred of relevance it had left
A shame but didn't move with the times

Need to play somewhere.

An AFL reserves is best option but for now this is what we got. If you are in it you need to try an win it. And I hope we do. And I hope all the 70000 crows members get on board and support the club to get that SANFL Flag.
Winning an SANFL flag would be amazing as the Crows. It means either Port have to accept we won another flag, or admit SANFL flags don't mean anything to AFL clubs.

I think having a promotion and relegation structure makes sense. Would show the VAFL a thing or two about making the league interesting
The problem will come back to money though. Particularly if player movement through some of the amateur leagues is driven on being able to attract much bigger match payments.

The problem will come back to money though. Particularly if player movement through some of the amateur leagues is driven on being able to attract much bigger match payments.
The Ammos pay players down to divvy 4 largely due to funding provided by the SANFL for junior development. It's a joke actually. The money from the SANFL is basically paying senior players.

The whole system broke down when the AFL forced the SANFL to come under its umbrella for junior and community leagues with the threat of withdrawing funding. It was basically blackmail.

Now that the SANFL no longer have an interest in the AFL licenses, they should be focussing on league development, but they can't, because they rely on SMA/AFL funding to remain solvent, a situation brought about by the AFL's funding model. This is all possible because the AFL quietly dissolved the NFC in 1995 which was the national body, representing ALL states, overseeing aussie rules. The AFL, under Oakley and later Demetriou, quietly hijacked the sport in this country.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back