AFL 2020 - AFL Round 18 (no aftertiming allowed)

Remove this Banner Ad

1u riccardi 2g+ @2.60 tab
0.5u riccardi 3g+ @6.50 tab
0.2u riccardi 4g+ @19 tab
1u daniels ags @2.05 tab
0.5u daniels 2g+@6 sb
0.2u daniels 3g+@23 sb
& tailing that Greene tip at lads..

on for 1u, 0.5u, 0.2u
c'mon one of you!

Do people agree This named gws team is a better team than saints on paper?
i think if they show up the'll win, but they've been quite unpredictable sometimes which is the only worry. Still if they dont fight for finals its their own bloody fault.

Im not sure its even possible to watch an AFL game today unless its your team, if your not having a bet.

Its just awful viewing. Its actually getting to a stage where I even applaud and get excited about a point scored if its a team Im backing, because its at least a score. I mean these campaigners are sometimes either kicking out of bounds or not even making the distance.

Im not sure its even possible to watch an AFL game today unless its your team, if your not having a bet.

Its just awful viewing. Its actually getting to a stage where I even applaud and get excited about a point scored if its a team Im backing, because its at least a score. I mean these campaigners are sometimes either kicking out of bounds or not even making the distance.
I wonder if id bet if this s**t was remotely entertaining. Im a big mma/boxing fan (which I admittedly bet on) but i can easily watch the fights with nothing on. Footy this year without something to follow? Id prefer to run laps in the rain ffs

It isnt sportsbet creating gambling addicts, its s**t standards of sport giving us no choice haha

I wonder if id bet if this sh*t was remotely entertaining. Im a big mma/boxing fan (which I admittedly bet on) but i can easily watch the fights with nothing on. Footy this year without something to follow? Id prefer to run laps in the rain ffs

It isnt sportsbet creating gambling addicts, its sh*t standards of sport giving us no choice haha

The Eagles won 7 goals to 4. Where 5 would have been enough to win.

Do you know how f**king boring that is? Its not even exciting when you win, its become so mind numbing.

There is a solution to fix the game, but the AFL will never do it. You genuinely need to reduce the number of players on the ground drastically, its just way too many for modern day footy. It made sense back in the old days to have 18 on the ground because those old guys wouldnt run, today all we have is athletes on the ground, its the reason why they can run out and run games hard and cover so much ground, but have just such a lack of skill.

At the very least, they should be banning kicking backwards, ie not counting it as a mark. That would be a simple start. They made this simple adjustment in soccer, where you used to be able to kick it back to the goalie and he could collect it with his hands, now he cant. That rule did change the game a lot.

The other rule I would have, is to call holding the ball a lot quicker. These campaigners have too much time to be able to get rid of the ball in modern day footy.

GWS is just such a flakey, badly coached team. How does a team that manages to beat the Tigers, Cats and Pies and still not make the 8 is beyond me.

The irony is that if they get into the 8, they could be a genuine wildcard for the finals. Like Ferraris, they only need to perform on special occasions.

The goal scorer bets with them, just depends if they turn up mentally to the game.

The Eagles won 7 goals to 4. Where 5 would have been enough to win.

Do you know how f**king boring that is? Its not even exciting when you win, its become so mind numbing.

There is a solution to fix the game, but the AFL will never do it. You genuinely need to reduce the number of players on the ground drastically, its just way too many for modern day footy. It made sense back in the old days to have 18 on the ground because those old guys wouldnt run, today all we have is athletes on the ground, its the reason why they can run out and run games hard and cover so much ground, but have just such a lack of skill.

At the very least, they should be banning kicking backwards, ie not counting it as a mark. That would be a simple start. They made this simple adjustment in soccer, where you used to be able to kick it back to the goalie and he could collect it with his hands, now he cant. That rule did change the game a lot.

The other rule I would have, is to call holding the ball a lot quicker. These campaigners have too much time to be able to get rid of the ball in modern day footy.

I think alot of tactics have been taken from soccer and basketball. I used to hardly watch soccer but only started to watch a bit more when I bet on 'unders' in certain games. When you bet on unders, you appreciate the defensive efforts alot more, goalkeeping and you gain a greater appreciation that high scoring games in soccer aren't the be all and end all. I still bet on 'unders' in certain games in AFL, and i leave the game feeling wasted and lost of my own time. The goalkicking, decision making inside the 50 and slow tempo are the big reasons- not necessarily anything to do with 'defence' of opposition.

In basketball they have a 24 second countdown clock for each possession. You get a 14 second reset if you get an offensive rebound. In AFL, you could technically on a slow play, take around 4 minutes to move from defence to forward. AFL wouldn't ever go down the path of a shotdown clock but if it was implemented, I have no doubt it would increase the scoring rate. I think teams should be rewarded for going more down the corridor. No teams will go down the middle anymore- unless its a game that has rain. (thats why i enjoy the wet weather matches much more) You only take on that risk , going down the corridor if your down by a few goals late in a game. Not even the good teams will take the route of going down the middle. In the 90's teams didn't mind transitioning the ball from defence to forward in a quick manner. Unless you have a good marking targets and crumbers, 95% of the teams will kick the ball towards the boundary and play safe. I also having a feeling AFLX which ironically was introduced last year has had a bit of a role to play. Maybe in future we will see more of a 9 pointers for shots outside the 50? (like they do with the 3 pointer in basketball) As much as I am a traditionalist- I think it is not a bad idea- it would open up the game more and force defenders to defend deeper down the field not just be clogged up in the defensive line. Another possibility, is to introduce some Bonus Point system whereby if you score a certain amounts of points you get rewarded with more points on the ladder.

We are also taking alot of tactics from soccer with passing behind the ball and going backwards. Tactically, in soccer the team that is worser off, will try to slow down the tempo of the game. A game like tonight, North were trying to slow down the pace.

You watch a soccer game for 90 minutes and an AFL game this season, and i swear the soccer games are more entertaining (even the low scoring games in soccer that finish 1-0 or 0-0). From a betting perspective, you can bet on all sorts of things to keep the game entertaining still eg yellow cards, penalties, shots on goals, Correct Score, Corners just to name a few. It feels like AFL, you only really have three to four main betting options: total points, match odds, line betting and disposals. If its a slow paced game with low scoring, that there ends your chances on disposals and goalscorers bets. (Most of the punters will generally bet 'overs' on these kind of markets eg 2+ goals , 30+ disposals etc.) Even the commentators tonight were bemoaning the standard of the game, for goalkicking and ball movement.

JK played like an old fossil, wtf happened to his mid season form?

Surely he plays his last game in 2 weeks, looks finished
WTF?

He is probably, arguably the best forward and contested mark in the comp and has kicked BAGS of goals against the other Top 4 teams.

The last few weeks he has played in wet dewy conditions in QLD which is hardly ideal for a player like him. Roos players were double and triple tagging him last night and I50 delivery was awful.

He is kicking at ~62% accuracy. In a year where 5 goals is enough to win a game and forwards cannot kick to save their lives, he is as reliable as they come.

Capable of winning the flag for the Eagles.

WTF?

He is probably, arguably the best forward and contested mark in the comp and has kicked BAGS of goals against the other Top 4 teams.

The last few weeks he has played in wet dewy conditions in QLD which is hardly ideal for a player like him. Roos players were double and triple tagging him last night and I50 delivery was awful.

He is kicking at ~62% accuracy. In a year where 5 goals is enough to win a game and forwards cannot kick to save their lives, he is as reliable as they come.

Capable of winning the flag for the Eagles.
The end can come pretty fast for some players, I certainly won't be betting on him to kick any more bags.

Only get burnt once, looks finished for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tricky times for overs even for the last round. Rain, dew and teams potentially having a crack like NM.

2.5u Hawks vs GC
1.5u Bris vs Carl
2.5u Melb vs Ess

Hawks game is a pure dead rubber. I think Ess vs Melb will be quite free flowing.

The end can come pretty fast for some players, I certainly won't be betting on him to kick any more bags.

Only get burnt once, looks finished for sure

Getting burnt once? If youre hitting 6/10 you will always be ahead.

While I do agree once you hit the end it can come first and quick, he still is still a massive threat. Aside from the awful conditions, the Eagles have fielded weaker teams compared to the middle of the year.

The end will happen for him but assuming this new injury is not an issue, Im backing him to continue to be a threat in the Finals. He wont hit the end till towards the end of next year.

3.5u Coniglio 20+ $1.77 (lads)
2u GWS SU $2.05 (lads)
2u Greene 2+ $3.50 (TAB)
1u Greene 3+ $10 (TAB)
0.5u Greene 4+ $41 (TAB)
0.25u Greene 5+ $101 (SB)

Overs on all of these prices.

Coniglio has been battered in the media and although form hasn’t been great, disposal numbers are still reasonable compared to this price. Last time he received heavy media attention he bounced back with a hot patch of 20+ for 7 consecutive weeks. Big performance required from the skipper.

Expecting to see GWS start as favourites here. Money coming in for them. Don’t need to bang on about how much talent and how badly they’ve underperformed, season on the line, let’s see them stand up.

Massive percentage play for Greene here. He’s the man that knows how to get his team going and these odds are simply way over when compared to his season and career records.

Is being used as a tagger at times, so need to be prepared for that, but a reasonable bet i think.

I personally think brad hill for over 15 possies is a better bet though- all but guaranteed (team rules are to put it in his hands) and not too dissimilar odds

they may put De boer On Hill though?

Huge game in terms of the makeup of the 8 tonight

Ass a Dees fan I would love to see GWS win by more than 4 goals

Last nights SGM was refunded due to Kennedy going down and me hitting 4/5

Tonight's SGM

Z Williams 15 or more
Hopper 15 or more
Coffield 15 or more
Steele 20 or more
= $3.75

Is being used as a tagger at times, so need to be prepared for that, but a reasonable bet i think.

I personally think brad hill for over 15 possies is a better bet though- all but guaranteed (team rules are to put it in his hands) and not too dissimilar odds
How can you say Hill for 15 is "all but guaranteed" when he's hasn't had 15 in his last game, and in numerous other games throughout the year?

put a bet on saints to not make the 8 a few weeks ago and was quietly confident until Giants lost too the Dee's last week. $50 bet with $80 cash back now (paying out $450) but it doesn't look very likely anymore. Should I cash out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back