Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'Halloran's main attributes seem to be burst speed and gut running, we could definitely use more of that. Also seems like an intelligent and dedicated player. I'm keen, assuming GWS don't decide to be pricks about it. Sounds like a great value pick up (and probably the most we could afford to spend without losing too many points for JUH).

His skills are very very good in this albeit short highlight package, a nice burst of speed too, strong in the air, good step in traffic and a penetrating, direct style of play... Bailey Williams vibes anyone? Maybe even Hugh Mcclugage on the right wing vibes?

My memory of him from his draft year is he was a real solid, strong leader type who did everything well enough. Wouldn’t say he’s a desperate need but one of those players who could come in to the team to replace anyone from half back to wing to hff, considering some of the players we’ve played through those positions at times this year that’s not a bad thing to add to the list if he comes cheap. can’t have enough players who can hit a leading Player inside 50 as well.

I feel like he’d definitely be fighting with McLean and Lip for a position but I hate to say it as Toby is one of my absolute favs but when a player does a knee these days it’s more of a bonus if they make it back for me, I’m not planning around them. How many players do we have that have done one knee? It always seems to be do the first and your chances of a second are tenfold. Plus he relies on his agility Toby. Still so shattered for the bloke.

My vision for the wings is Hunter defensive wing JJ attacking wing - half forward, on the other side Vander attacking wing to HF maybe O’Hallaran can be the defensive wing we lack on this side? The role Rourke is playing quite well at the moment.

Last edited:

From memory O'Halloran was described as an impact-per-possession based player. I'd take that considering we have a fair few accumulators. What's his kicking like, especially inside 50?
So basically could be an upgrade on Richards. Not sure we can carry both unless O'Halloran is somehow contributing immediately

Knightmare's analysis on XOH:
A developing piece. Has acceleration and skills are clean so he'd bring balance from that perspective to the Dogs midfield if a trade there is facilitated. Not much of an accumulator or ball winner and will need to start finding and winning more of it. If he can, as he is a high impact per possession player, that would make him into something, but he's until then still a developing player who you hope comes good.

I'm on the more conservative side in my position on O'Halloran as I'm just not positive as to a specific spot he can play and find enough of it to impact games consistently, as more that type who is good in glimpses. Though there are others who see him as a sure future best 22 player.

Small sample size of AFL games (2) and with so many ball winners on that GWS side, and with no NEAFL games to go off of either, it's possible he's more advanced than I'm thinking he is, but he isn't one I'd feel confident betting/spending much on at this time until I see more of that ball winning component.

My draft time view was 38th on my board, but featured pick 22 and today I wouldn't be wanting to spend more than a late pick or depth player to get him, though I'm sure a club would offer more than that.

His value wouldn't be exactly sky high either. Second round pick, has played 2 games of AFL over the last two years. They'd be lucky to get a pick in the 30s.
GWS have offered him a Multi- year contract And he has us , Geelong, Essendon and Lions interested in him. Be interesting what he will do

Don't think I've seen this reported anywhere but I do happen to know that Brisbane was the club that showed the most interest pre-draft
Tom Morris Wrote article about him Go to page 316 on this forum you will find the whole article their if you are interested

Attachments

• 4987330F-FA38-4DD3-9A66-9F62EC902C6C.jpeg
    4987330F-FA38-4DD3-9A66-9F62EC902C6C.jpeg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 141

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the two games he played against Essendon and Sydney. GWS were awful in both of them so hard to judge him too much. Didn’t get involved a lot but looked to be a penetrating kick and was clean when he got it. Draft highlights were also impressive but everyone’s are. I’d be for O’Halloran, on the limited viewing, looks like a decent wing prospect but I’m sure our recruiters will have a better idea. Don’t think you can have too many of those types on the list and will be more developed than anyone we draft this year.

Hard to get a gauge on what his worth. My guess would be late second or early third if he’s available. GWS have had a heap of these types of trades the past few years but a lot of time they are trading them for draft points for an academy player rather than a draft pick so it’s hard to compare.

Here’s the list of midfielders traded in the last five or so years
- Aiden Bonar (pick 11), six games in two years, traded with a future round four pick for a future round three pick
- Will Setterfield (pick 5), two games in two years and an ACL, traded with pick 71 for a future second round pick and pick 43
- Matt Kennedy (pick 13), 19 games in two years, traded for pick 28
- Jack Steele (pick 24, bidded on at pick 16), 18 games in two years, traded for a future second round pick
- Jonathan O’Rourke (pick 2), 9 games in two years, traded for pick 19 and a slight pick upgrade

Bont, Libba and VDM are probably our best kicks into f50 at the moment. X O’Halloran would challenge them. He is very direct in his play and is a good decision maker. I would rather have XO with the ball than most other players. He might be a player who gets you 10 meters of run plus 40 meters kick to a target on each possession.
The knock on XO is he does get enough of the ball. To fix that, you increase his endurance (which he has worked on) and have him train to be the link man. XO will run back to defend but we really want him to be involved higher up the ground.

I get the feeling O'Halloran will be in direct competition with Lipinski, Mclean, Rourke Smith etc. Could probably include a couple of others.

I don't really see the need. He's not any sort of upgrade on any of them.

Seems to have them covered in natural leadership. Captained Vic Metro the year of the super draft. Also looks to be a more natural forward, which would differentiate him from Lipinski and McLean who are both more impactful in the guts. I see him as a distributor or a medium forward. A more offensive version of Richards. There is definitely space for a player like that on our list.

The mail today I got from someone is it's going down to 40 (38+2).

Most clubs carry around 44 players so to bring them into line with the new edict, they need to delist 4 players. However, it is compulsory for every club to use three draft picks every year so that means most clubs will have to part with a minimum of 7 players overall before they even look at trades & Free Agency.

Thanks so basically the loss of 2 senior spots and 2 rookie spots. I’m guessing that does not include the loss of category B rookies as they are outside the cap and offical list size so will remain?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/510272

This article points to the same guys that have been raised here. Ronke, Macpherson, Higgins, Lonie, Hunt. Not sure who my preference would be from that list. Higgins probably has the most runs on the board.
Pretty slim pickings really. Would be surprised if Higgins leaves after everything he’s been through. I still think Ronke could be worth a punt. Might even get him as a DFA?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/510272

This article points to the same guys that have been raised here. Ronke, Macpherson, Higgins, Lonie, Hunt. Not sure who my preference would be from that list. Higgins probably has the most runs on the board.
Has Ronke been injured this year? If Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray are consistently being played ahead of him that is serious cause for concern.

Looking at our current out of contract players (excluding wood as we know he will sign a new contract) and if list sizes will be 40 (38/2) this is what I would do:

New Contracts:
Duryea
Cavarra
Jong
Sweet (R) - think he stays on the rookie list
Gardner (R) - think he will get upgraded
Roarke (R) - think he stays on the rookie list if possible

Retire:
Dickson
Suckling

Trade/delist:
Lynch
Porter
Gowers
Greene
Trengove
Hayes
La Young (R)

That would leave us with 5 senior list spots and no rookie list spots. I think we will need to take 4 open spots to the draft to match a JUH bid.

So to bring more than one player in through trade or free agency we will need to move on a jong or cavarra or trade a contracted player. Unless we are happy to go in with 3 picks to the draft and go into deficit.

Personally I would prefer us to split our first rounder this year for more picks and trade out next years first for a player/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back