Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone think we have a few players who might be on the trade table? Lewis Young, Lipinski and Schache all spring to mind. Young and Schache seem very unlikely to ever play for us again, but I expect they would both get a look in elsewhere; whereas I think Lipinski is a player who would be easily best 22 at any other club, but is behind a host of other midfielders we have, and he is struggling to really adapt to the role we have been playing him in. I'm not sure that any of them will have very much in the way of trade value, however.

If it is 38-2 I would be doing the following:
8x Delist/Retire: Khamis, Dickson, Suckling, Trengove, Gowers, Lynch, Porter, Hayes
5x Draft Selections- Jamarra, Raak, Macpherson, Gardner, Roarke
Leaves 38 on the main list, and 2 rookies in Sweet and Lachie Young.
Also means re-signing Duryea, Wood, Jong, Cavarra and Greene

Anyone think we have a few players who might be on the trade table? Lewis Young, Lipinski and Schache all spring to mind. Young and Schache seem very unlikely to ever play for us again, but I expect they would both get a look in elsewhere; whereas I think Lipinski is a player who would be easily best 22 at any other club, but is behind a host of other midfielders we have, and he is struggling to really adapt to the role we have been playing him in. I'm not sure that any of them will have very much in the way of trade value, however.
Lewis Young is 21 years old.
Dale Morris was rookied at 22, debuted at 23.

Perspective.

Don't think we'll let Lipinski go for various reasons (especially with McLean now out for 2021).

Lewis Young will be a long term prospect, so unless someone actively chases him hard, I expect we keep him around.

Schache and Dale are the two with currency who I'd expect to be put on the trade table. Neither are best 22 (Dale borderline), but could be at another club

You can get around that by doing rookie upgrades, which count as a selection in the draft. That is, by selecting JUH, Raak, and upgrading Gardner, we will satisfy the three draftee requirement without technically 'losing' anything extra.

For example, the below scenario (based on comments about Porter being ready for pre-season and Roarke being in the team) satisfies the two off the main list and two off the rookie list while only delisting 6 players:
Gardner & Roarke to main list (42 main, 2 rookie)
JUH, Raak draft (44 main, 2 rookie)
Retired: Suckling, Dickson (42 main, 2 rookie)
Delisted: Lynch, Gowers, Hayes, Trengove (38 main, 2 rookie)

Could also delist/upgrade one of Sweet/Lachie Young if we wanted to keep Roarke on the rookie list, and keep one of those that was delisted from the main list (e.g. retain Trengove, delist Young), while still meeting the requirements.

Not necessarily what I'd do, but just an example based on where I think it's headed.
Yep exactly. I posted this earlier in the thread.

I'm pretty keen to upgrade 1 or 2 from the rookie list if the numbers do in fact get cut as we don't really need the list getting any younger.

If we promoted say Roarke and Gardner, it helps a) getting around the 3 draftees rule which would be a problem with reduced list sizes and b) means we're getting guys onto the list that are familiar with our systems and procedures, as well as both of those guys have 5 years experience in the AFL system which is why they are playing like decent depth players at the moment. Certainly more useful than pick 80ish 18 year old.

Lachie Young is a prime candidate to stay as a rookie, huge upside IMO. Sweet could be kept as ruck backup.

I think there's 5 clear delist/retires: Lynch, Gowers, Suckling, Dickson, Porter.

Trengove, Hayes also potential to go but they both play in positions where we lack depth on the list so could be kept on 1yr minimum type deals.

So much in the air until the actual list changes are announced.

I'm pretty keen to upgrade 1 or 2 from the rookie list if the numbers do in fact get cut as we don't really need the list getting any younger.

If we promoted say Roarke and Gardner, it helps a) getting around the 3 draftees rule which would be a problem with reduced list sizes and b) means we're getting guys onto the list that are familiar with our systems and procedures, as well as both of those guys have 5 years experience in the AFL system which is why they are playing like decent depth players at the moment. Certainly more useful than pick 80ish 18 year old.

Lachie Young is a prime candidate to stay as a rookie, huge upside IMO. Sweet could be kept as ruck backup.

I think there's 5 clear delist/retires: Lynch, Gowers, Suckling, Dickson, Porter.

Trengove, Hayes also potential to go but they both play in positions where we lack depth on the list so could be kept on 1yr minimum type deals.

We can also delist guys like Porter and Hayes, giving ourselves the ability to carry more picks into the draft to help with bid matching, then commit to redraft those two. Basically the same thing as extending them, but makes paying for JUH, Raak and Macpherson much easier with little risk to our list position (since if Porter or Hayes are taken, we can just draft a mature aged state league player if necessary)

If it is 38-2 I would be doing the following:
8x Delist/Retire: Khamis, Dickson, Suckling, Trengove, Gowers, Lynch, Porter, Hayes
5x Draft Selections- Jamarra, Raak, Macpherson, Gardner, Roarke
Leaves 38 on the main list, and 2 rookies in Sweet and Lachie Young.
Also means re-signing Duryea, Wood, Jong, Cavarra and Greene

If we do the following our first 3 draft picks will need to hold a ton of points as I don’t think draft picks to upgrade rookies count towards points as those picks are locked in to applying to that upgrade prior to the draft.

I doubt we trade lipinski with McLean out for basically all of next season, as he is the next player into the midfield should any of our starting mids get injured

Id keep Lippa for sure and I like Lewis Young. Who knows what is going on with him but he is a better player than Gardner thats for sure. Bevo picking his faves as per usual... Schache also on the outer which is strange as we play better with him in the side for sure. We can say for sure the following are gone:

B Lynch, F Greene (again wtf is going on with him), Cavarra (want to keep him but goneski if we get Lonie), L Young, Trengove, Suckling, Gowers, Dickson

Who else is in trouble?

Id keep Lippa for sure and I like Lewis Young. Who knows what is going on with him but he is a better player than Gardner thats for sure. Bevo picking his faves as per usual... Schache also on the outer which is strange as we play better with him in the side for sure. We can say for sure the following are gone:

B Lynch, F Greene (again wtf is going on with him), Cavarra (want to keep him but goneski if we get Lonie), L Young, Trengove, Suckling, Gowers, Dickson

Who else is in trouble?

I think Lynch, Cavarra, Gowers, Porter and Greene in trouble.

Suckers and Trengove to retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who else is in trouble?
Young better than Gardner for sure? Bevo picking his favourites?

Could it be that Gardner is actually better? I would trust the coaches more than anyone

I would be very disappointed to move on Cavarra after a few games where he’s hit the scoreboard on each and pressured.

I'd pay Lloyd out of his contract before I got rid of Cavarra. No way should he be under the pump.

Gowers, Porter, Suckling, Dickson, Trengrove, Lynch (delist/retire)

Schache, Lewis Young, Dale to be traded.

Le.Young and maybe Dale are the two that stand out to me. Possibly Richards although I think he has upside.

I'd be hoping to keep Lipinski

The rest seem to be in the delist/retire category.

I am still no great fan of Roarke, but you may be right that upgrading him is a reasonable way to offset the list size changes and avoid getting too much younger.

As far as I see it, Lynch, Gowers, Suckling and Dickson are locks to go. Porter would certainly be in this group for me if not for the comment on the Dogs page, but I still think he's long odds to stick around.

Trengove and Hayes are up against it and much more likely to go than not - but one of these (or Porter) could be saved if we stick to bringing in JUH + Raak + rookie upgrade(s).

If we want to take extra rookie / main draft picks, or bring in some players via trade / FA, these players are at risk (assuming no players are traded out):
  • Sweet - I know many want him to play, but Bev's continued statement that "He's not quite ready" does not fill me with confidence about his ability, considering Bev had no issue playing English when he was not quite ready (or fit). I think he's possibly at risk of being a Panos-esque delisting if we want to keep Roarke on the rookie list, or take an extra selection at the rookie draft.
  • Lachie Young - I don't mind him, but tried in various roles and not settled; struggles to get involved. In the same situation as Sweet.
  • Greene - I really like Greene, but he's not playing for a reason. I think he's in trouble.
  • Cavarra - do we rate him at all? I thought he was good but the coaches clearly disagreed. If he's not up to it now, you would think he's longer odds to be up to it in the future than some others.
  • Jong - how many injuries are too many? Back having surgery again after showing some solid form early in the year. At some stage you have to cut loose players that aren't available for most of the year - but as a mature player with a big body, he certainly offers some attributes we don't have a heap of.
It all just depends on whether we have our eyes on players from other clubs, and whether we want to take any extra draft selections beyond our academy kids.

I am still no great fan of Roarke, but you may be right that upgrading him is a reasonable way to offset the list size changes and avoid getting too much younger.

As far as I see it, Lynch, Gowers, Suckling and Dickson are locks to go. Porter would certainly be in this group for me if not for the comment on the Dogs page, but I still think he's long odds to stick around.

Trengove and Hayes are up against it and much more likely to go than not.

If we stick to bringing in JUH + Raak + rookie upgrade(s), they're all the changes we need to make.

If we want to take extra rookie / main draft picks, or bring in some players via trade / FA, these players are at risk (assuming no players are traded out):
  • Sweet - I know many want him to play, but Bev's continued statement that "He's not quite ready" does not fill me with confidence about his ability, considering Bev had no issue playing English when he was not quite ready (or fit). I think he's possibly at risk of being a Panos-esque delisting if we want to keep Roarke on the rookie list, or take an extra selection at the rookie draft.
  • Lachie Young - I don't mind him, but tried in various roles and not settled; struggles to get involved. In the same situation as Sweet.
  • Greene - I really like Greene, but he's not playing for a reason. I think he's in trouble.
  • Cavarra - do we rate him at all? I thought he was good but the coaches clearly disagreed. If he's not up to it now, you would think he's longer odds to be up to it in the future than some others.
  • Jong - how many injuries are too many? Back having surgery again after showing some solid form early in the year. At some stage you have to cut loose players that aren't available for most of the year - but as a mature player with a big body, he certainly offers some attributes we don't have a heap of.
It all just depends on whether we have our eyes on players from other clubs, and whether we want to take any extra draft selections beyond our academy kids.

Out of that grouping Lachie Young would be most at risk imo. Our backline is very settled and 3rd tall defenders/mediums can be found from anywhere.

Getting rid of sweet unless we had 2 ruckmen coming in (assuming Trengrove goes) would be a crazy decision. Leaving just English with no guarantee of a ruck coming back in would be horrendous list management.

Jong looked great when he played this year so he should keep. Provides valuable speed too. Greene And Cavarra also should be kept.

Young better than Gardner for sure? Bevo picking his favourites?

Could it be that Gardner is actually better? I would trust the coaches more than anyone
Lewis Young has shown more as a KPD than Gardner. Gardner has been doing well of late and is good depth if he keeps improving but I'd prefer young from what I've seen but would keep both on the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back