Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 3 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting rid of sweet unless we had 2 ruckmen coming in (assuming Trengrove goes) would be a crazy decision. Leaving just English with no guarantee of a ruck coming back in would be horrendous list management.
The fact is though that when English is not rucking, we have opted to play Bruce, Cordy, Dunkley, or Macrae in there. Our "ruck" emergency has been Lewis Young, who has played a little ruck in the past, but not at any great level.

It appears as though our belief is that we have a better chance of winning with smaller or bit-part ruckmen in the side than Trengove or Sweet. Rightly or wrongly, there is a lot of evidence for this, and if that's the case, there may not be any sense in keeping them on the list in favour of mids/forwards - most of which we have cycled through at various stages.

Devil's advocate here.

Would Richards have sentimental value for Collingwood?
Eddie made it clear he wanted him eventually, but whether that's changed who knows. I feel we can replace him with someone like Hunt and instantly improve as a side. Richards has had basically 3 full seasons of consistent games and still isn't showing enough imo, and I'm not entirely convinced he'll make it as a player, or at least not in the next couple of years. Really don't care if we keep or trade at this stage, but only if the trade is worthwhile (i.e. not a token late pick)

Schache is an interesting one with people suggesting wing, back up ruck etc.
Is there any chance we can learn from the past and try to Liam Jones him into a key position defender?

Eddie made it clear he wanted him eventually, but whether that's changed who knows. I feel we can replace him with someone like Hunt and instantly improve as a side. Richards has had basically 3 full seasons of consistent games and still isn't showing enough imo, and I'm not entirely convinced he'll make it as a player, or at least not in the next couple of years. Really don't care if we keep or trade at this stage, but only if the trade is worthwhile (i.e. not a token late pick)
Agree completely on richards not so much on hunt. Alot of talk on here about downhill skiers, his the biggest of the lot

The fact is though that when English is not rucking, we have opted to play Bruce, Cordy, Dunkley, or Macrae in there. Our "ruck" emergency has been Lewis Young, who has played a little ruck in the past, but not at any great level.

It appears as though our belief is that we have a better chance of winning with smaller or bit-part ruckmen in the side than Trengove or Sweet. Rightly or wrongly, there is a lot of evidence for this, and if that's the case, there may not be any sense in keeping them on the list in favour of mids/forwards - most of which we have cycled through at various stages.

Devil's advocate here.
Sweet has been named as emergency more than any other player in the competition this season.
The 'not ready' comment was later clarified to being his forward craft is a 'work in progress'. His ruckwork is ok and he can be a back up to English. Unlike English, he can't play anywhere else so he can't be played while we have English in the side.
I'd certainly keep. We're thin for ruck depth as it is.

Jong looked great when he played this year so he should keep. Provides valuable speed too. Greene And Cavarra also should be kept.
I don't think he is any risk of being delisted, but if another club wanted a mature breakaway mid it might be time for Jong to find a new home.
He has had wretched luck at the kennel and may get more opportunity and possibly a better contract elsewhere.

Schache is an interesting one with people suggesting wing, back up ruck etc.
Is there any chance we can learn from the past and try to Liam Jones him into a key position defender?
I would be happy to try Schach anywhere, I really think he could become a good player and I'm one of those advocating for the wing. That being said, I'm not sure about defence for Schach as he doesn't fly for it like Jones did / does. I like the idea but I'm not sure if its the right place for him, but like I said I want to give him as much time as possible.

Sweet has been named as emergency more than any other player in the competition this season.
The 'not ready' comment was later clarified to being his forward craft is a 'work in progress'. His ruckwork is ok and he can be a back up to English. Unlike English, he can't play anywhere else so he can't be played while we have English in the side.
I'd certainly keep. We're thin for ruck depth as it is.
Re: the emergency side of things, has he been named much in the back half of the year? Actually not sure of the answer to this but I feel like I've seen Young a lot recently. Although I note Sweet was travelling emergency this week per the Dogs site which is obviously a better sign.

I hadn't heard the forward craft part of it which is reassuring. Certainly hope he is up to it, just wasn't getting the impression that Bev thought so.

Agree completely on richards not so much on hunt. Alot of talk on here about downhill skiers, his the biggest of the lot
He kicked 3 in a one point win over Carlton, so hopefully not too much of a downhill skier.

Regardless, I'd take that over someone who rarely performs, win or lose, like Richards.

Re: the emergency side of things, has he been named much in the back half of the year? Actually not sure of the answer to this but I feel like I've seen Young a lot recently. Although I note Sweet was travelling emergency this week per the Dogs site which is obviously a better sign.

I hadn't heard the forward craft part of it which is reassuring. Certainly hope he is up to it, just wasn't getting the impression that Bev thought so.

Sweet has been emergency the last three weeks. Looks like it was only rounds 13 and 14 that he wasn’t in the back half of the year. So would’ve been emergency 14 times

Last edited:
He kicked 3 in a one point win over Carlton, so hopefully not too much of a downhill skier.

Regardless, I'd take that over someone who rarely performs, win or lose, like Richards.
Personally I wouldn't be getting rid Richards, I love watching the kid play and I reckon he'll be someone really solid in the coming years. At the moment he is getting played out of position but at his best he breaks lines, takes the game on, gains meters and can kick a goal or two. If we let him go, he will go straight to HBF for the opposition and make a killing and the POS pick we receive in the trade will not be worth it.

This is just my opinion of course and I agree he hasn't had the best 2020, but I think he has a massive upside.

That wasn't a normal one point game, think Melbourne kicked the first 7 goals and then Carlton kicked the last 7 or something like that haha. Very strange match.

Hunt doesn't really do anything for me. Hes 25 now and has shown no level of consistency and is in and out of a fairly ordinary Melbourne team. I'd rather take a chance on a 21yo Richards, 20yo West and 19yo Weightman at half forward rather than gamble that Hunt will turn into a consistent performer.

Sweet has been emergency the last three weeks. Looks like it was only rounds 13 and 14 that he wasn’t in the back half of the year. So would’ve been emergency 14 times
Much better signs than I'd thought, then - hopefully shown enough to stick around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I wouldn't be getting rid Richards, I love watching the kid play and I reckon he'll be someone really solid in the coming years. At the moment he is getting played out of position but at his best he breaks lines, takes the game on, gains meters and can kick a goal or two. If we let him go, he will go straight to HBF for the opposition and make a killing and the POS pick we receive in the trade will not be worth it.

This is just my opinion of course and I agree he hasn't had the best 2020, but I think he has a massive upside.
Yeah it's hurting me all this talk of trading him. I get it, he's not been the best this year, and we could use another pick or two for points, but I'm certain we'd end up regretting it once he reached his potential.

Much better signs than I'd thought, then - hopefully shown enough to stick around.

Can’t say I know anything about him. Hopefully being named emergency is a sign that he isn’t far away and it’s not just a token selection. Trengove and Lewis Young were named emergencies a fair bit during the year as well, it would’ve been interesting to see who came in if English was a late out. I feel like R13 and R14 would’ve been around the time that English was struggling with an ankle(?)

Can’t say I know anything about him. Hopefully being named emergency is a sign that he isn’t far away and it’s not just a token selection. Trengove and Lewis Young were named emergencies a fair bit during the year as well, it would’ve been interesting to see who came in if English was a late out. I feel like R13 and R14 would’ve been around the time that English was struggling with an ankle(?)
Yeah, I think that's what piqued my interest - the rounds where we thought English out could be a very real possibility, Young seemed to be the preferred option. But it's impossible to know since he never did go out - guess we'll have to wait and see!

He also adds zero defensive pressure. Can't remember him ever laying a tackle.

Richards I'd only trade for a decent pick and if that wasn't offered I'd start him in the 2s next year, still has youth on his side even though I've been disappointed so far. Hunt however is at his peak

I am staunchly against trading Richards and am really confident that the club wouldn’t even consider it, unless for massive overs.

I am of the opinion that he has been played out of position, potentially for development’s sake. He is a natural HBF who isn’t yet comfortable in the forward or wing role that we have tried him in.

Probably can’t have Richards, JJ and Caleb all on the HB let alone Crozier and Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back