Opinion 2020 Draft picks 1/9/22/23/40/56/66/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, 4th, Haw 4th)

which mythological creature you think would win in a fight, Bigfoot or Santa?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Crows Draft Hand Tweet

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates​

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Last edited:
It's a win-win for us. Unless the AFL wants to fu** us, which is always a possibility, we're in a position to do what's best for us.
We keep Crouch, great. He's one of our best players. He's still pretty young.
We let him go, it's because someone has thrown him a big enough contract that we get pick 2. Which is good for us, and it's good for Crouch.
We've basically set the market for him. Pay Brad enough to get us Pick 2, or we keep him. You want him, pay the man.
The problem is Wright has 2 years to run on his contract on healthy money by all reports, unless GCS are prepared to pay some of his salary for the 2 years he's contracted to them for he's not that attractive of an option.

Ive said from Day 1.

Brad is answer to everything.

He shapes the entire draft. He shapes the short term futures of those Clubs after us, it isnt funny.

Pick 2 gives us power to get a deal to lead to multiple 1sts even. If the Hawks lose Gunston, they may look at our Pick 2 for their Pick 4 and their 2021 1st to not only get ahead of North but even us as well?

What strategies to be played out is going to be so fascinating. The only caveat here is that it assumes Brad's compo is Pick 2.

Its the AFL. So anything could happen Pick 2, to a end of 1st rounder too.
one other issue the AFL has is that if they dont give us band 1, it drops to band 3. band 2 and band 3 are exactly the same pick in our situation!!!! today the AFL media are reporting a brad likely salary which would more likely suggest band 1... who bloody knows

The problem is Wright has 2 years to run on his contract on healthy money by all reports, unless GCS are prepared to pay some of his salary for the 2 years he's contracted to them for he's not that attractive of an option.
we do not want wright under any circumstances

we have talls one is 21 the other is 22

how old are our best mids? 26,27,27,30

look im taking a tall with pick 2 if we have it but not if we only have pick 1
The 21 and 22 yr olds are playing as forward/ruck chop outs.
So we’ve got those, not a true key forward.

The 21 and 22 yr olds are playing as forward/ruck chop outs.
So we’ve got those, not a true key forward.
thats because you had hart coaching the forward line nothing else

wait til mr bassett arrives and lets see

thats because you had hart coaching the forward line nothing else

wait til mr bassett arrives and lets see
Have you factored in to our list profile who haven’t or hardly played.
Worrell, Tall utility
O’Connor, Tall mid
Gollant, Tall wing/forward
McHenry, mid/pressure forward
Whats missing? key forward.

Can you imagine the uproar if we didn’t pick tilthorpe with our first.
Not today, believe ROB improvement has changed a lot of people's minds re Thilthorpe as the 1st pick,
At this Thilthorpe is not a standout Key Forward replacement at the Crows, nor is he going to replace ROB, in the next 4-5 years, barring injury.
For me, At this time if we take Thilhorpe over Hollands or McDonald that would be a bigger crime.

Have you factored in to our list profile who haven’t or hardly played.
Worrell, Tall utility
O’Connor, Tall mid
Gollant, Tall wing/forward
McHenry, mid/pressure forward
Whats missing? key forward.
And if your midfield cannot win the ball and get it into the forward line the best forward has no value, A Grand final is not won by the key forward, they are won by winning the ball.

Not today, believe ROB improvement has changed a lot of people's minds re Thilthorpe as the 1st pick,
At this Thilthorpe is not a standout Key Forward replacement at the Crows, nor is he going to replace ROB, in the next 4-5 years, barring injury.
For me, At this time if we take Thilhorpe over Hollands or McDonald that would be a bigger crime.
with emergence of himmelberg they will only take TT at 8 if he there bit he be gone by 5.

And if your midfield cannot win the ball and get it into the forward line the best forward has no value, A Grand final is not won by the key forward, they are won by winning the ball.
This is about pick one alone. You don’t think mids will be on the radar after that?

Personally I don't see any difference in Zac Williams contract worth and Brad Crouches ......in fact there's an argument that Brad is more valuable to some teams as a "known" midfielder

In 2019, the average player wage was more than $401,000 for players who featured at AFL level. While that figure reduced by roughly 29 per cent in 2020, it is expected to level out heading into 2021.

Luring a target out of his original home typically forces the new club to pay overs, while destination clubs are often happy to pay even more for free agents knowing they won't have to part with a draft pick.

With Gold Coast's concession (now with Geelong) and a host of first-round compensations predicted, this year's second round could start around pick No.24-25.

JACKSON HATELY (GWS)

Draft picks:
Mid-to-late second round pick
Value on open market: $300,000-400,000 per season

Has played 13 games in his two seasons at the Giants after being taken at pick No.14 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft. The South Australian has interest from the Crows to return home, but don't expect them to pay through the roof for a player entering his third season.

BRAD CROUCH (ADELAIDE)

Draft picks:
First-round / end-of-first-round compensation pick
Value on open market: $650,000-750,000 per season

The Victorian is searching for a five-year contract and admitted this week he doesn't have a contract offer from the Crows. He looks to be out the door but now it's about finding a club willing to offer enough that will secure Adelaide a first-round compensation pick (would fall at pick No.2). Five years at more than $700,000 would likely be enough and it would avoid the Crows matching and forcing a trade. Like all restricted free agents, suitors would be willing to pay more for the contract to avoid a trade, however the interesting watch on Crouch will be
the length of term, given his history of soft tissue injuries. Geelong has interest and while Port Adelaide have been linked, it's unlikely they'll offer five years

ZAC WILLIAMS (GWS)

Draft picks:
First-round compensation pick
Value on open market: $800,000-900,000 per season

Locked in on a long-term deal at Carlton believed to be upwards of $800,000 per season after the Blues edged out North Melbourne for his services. It will net the Giants a first-round compensation pick that will fall after their first selection at pick eight (a selection that's in the possession of the Crows after a trade last year).

Could not agree more with Williams/Crouch.

On the face of it, looks like Carlton haven’t learnt their McGovern lesson and are spending upwards of $800K per year on someone who is essentially a half-back flanker.

In 2020, Crouch has averaged more disposals (22.0 v 16.9), contested possessions (10.2 v 5.0), clearances (5.0 v 1.1), tackles (3.8 v 2.3), effective disposals (13.9 v 11.7) and score involvements (3.2 v 2.7).

Yes, Williams is slightly ahead in effective disposal % and clangers, but this would be normal for a player getting a significant number of your possessions uncontested in the back half.

Williams certainly does not appear to have the attributes needed to help Cripps and co., particularly when it comes to the contested side of the game. Need to ask the same durability questions as well.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is about pick one alone. You don’t think mids will be on the radar after that?
Not arguable the best Mid in the draft, and one who can play forward. Holland will not last past pick 4. he will go before Thilthorpe,
Most of the Other top mids are small around the 180 size, Or aligned to other clubs thru the NGA ( Jones and Davies) unless your think about Perkins
The Crows currently have a few small mids some would say too many, (M Crouch, Liard, Jones, Mchenry, Sloane, Schoenberg) and I do not see a Rowell or anyone close to his ability in this draft. Our taller mids consist of Brad at 186 and 2 untried mids in O'conner and Gollant.

The Crows are better suited today in the tall area than they are in big-bodied Midfielder.
Yes pick the best talent but when you believe they're not much separating them you go for needs,

Not arguable the best Mid in the draft, and one who can play forward. Holland will not last past pick 4. he will go before Thilthorpe,
Most of the Other top mids are small around the 180 size, Or aligned to other clubs thru the NGA ( Jones and Davies) unless your think about Perkins
The Crows currently have a few small mids some would say too many, (M Crouch, Liard, Jones, Mchenry, Sloane, Schoenberg) and I do not see a Rowell or anyone close to his ability in this draft. Our taller mids consist of Brad at 186 and 2 untried mids in O'conner and Gollant.

The Crows are better suited today in the tall area than they are in big-bodied Midfielder.
Yes pick the best talent but when you believe they're not much separating them you go for needs,
We are not better suited in the tall area as Tex and Lynch are waning big time.
He is the best Forward/mid, love him, fantastic tricks. Not a pure mid. Predominantly forward with occasional spurts in the mid.
If you approach it the right way without shiny eyes you’d understand that Hollands isn’t a big bodied mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could not agree more with Williams/Crouch.

On the face of it, looks like Carlton haven’t learnt their McGovern lesson and are spending upwards of $800K per year on someone who is essentially a half-back flanker.

In 2020, Crouch has averaged more disposals (22.0 v 16.9), contested possessions (10.2 v 5.0), clearances (5.0 v 1.1), tackles (3.8 v 2.3), effective disposals (13.9 v 11.7) and score involvements (3.2 v 2.7).

Yes, Williams is slightly ahead in effective disposal % and clangers, but this would be normal for a player getting a significant number of your possessions uncontested in the back half.

Williams certainly does not appear to have the attributes needed to help Cripps and co., particularly when it comes to the contested side of the game. Need to ask the same durability questions as well.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Crazy isn't it. Add Crouch to Cripps and top 8 likely.
Now they just have a Simpson replacement

These values are all over the place.
How is Daniher worth so much?
How is Brown worth so little?
How is Williams worth 150k more than Crouch?
How is Viney worth so much?
How is Caldwell worth more than Daicos?
If Wright is only going to cost league average and a third rounder, you'd pay that in a second.
Daicos is the player I would pay up for. Will be an out and out star winger. Collingwood don't have the salary either. We should target him.

Lol. Will never leave pies
Put contract on hold until end of the season. Pies pretty tight on the cap with needing to sign Moore, Degoey and a few others. Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves ( more likely he would go to a Vic club) but worth an enquiry.

We are not better suited in the tall area as Tex and Lynch are waning big time.
He is the best Forward/mid, love him, fantastic tricks. Not a pure mid. Predominantly forward with occasional spurts in the mid.
If you approach it the right way without shiny eyes you’d understand that Hollands isn’t a big-bodied mid.

Suggest you look closer at Hollands, at 17 he was 188, 85kg he is taller today and I would say heavier due to more time in Gym.
Without his Injury, Hollands would have been regarded as the Best Player in the Draft by a long way,
And Without COVID I doubt McDonald would be regarded and a top 5 Pick

Also, have a closer look at our tall forwards,
Walker replacement is Playing today, Lynch is more a Flanker than a key forward, I would almost Say Lynch is closer to running tall Midfielder.
Also don't rule out McAsey, Worrel,

And note there a reason Richmond, Geelong and you can Brisbane and Even Port are having good seasons, They have a decent Midfield
a Midflied that wins the football.

Put contract on hold until end of the season. Pies pretty tight on the cap with needing to sign Moore, Degoey and a few others. Wouldn't be surprised if he leaves ( more likely he would go to a Vic club) but worth an enquiry.
Who are we paying the big $ to? We should have heaps in the cap to prise out players like Daicos with seriously more money than Pies can afford.

Suggest you look closer at Hollands, at 17 he was 188, 85kg he is taller today and I would say heavier due to more time in Gym.
Without his Injury, Hollands would have been regarded as the Best Player in the Draft by a long way,
And Without COVID I doubt McDonald would be regarded and a top 5 Pick

Also, have a closer look at our tall forwards,
Walker replacement is Playing today, Lynch is more a Flanker than a key forward, I would almost Say Lynch is closer to running tall Midfielder.
Also don't rule out McAsey, Worrel,

And note there a reason Richmond, Geelong and you can Brisbane and Even Port are having good seasons, They have a decent Midfield
a Midflied that wins the football.
Read back my previous posts in this thread today. Reasonably aligned. My only difference is the first round pick being a key forward.
I also disagree that COVID has boosted McDonald into contention. That’s just bollocks. He’s a stand out.

Who are we paying the big $ to? We should have heaps in the cap to prise out players like Daicos with seriously more money than Pies can afford.
His f***ING name is DAICOS.

His brother is coming next year. Zero chance he leaves.

Maybe not quite as quick but certainly equally athletic and far superior endurance to Josh Jenkins ,and incredibly good below his knees for a 200cm giant. And as for chop out Ruck don't even go there, there's no comparison, Jenkins' ruckwork was sub standard.

:thumbsu:

I’d have paid a top 10 pick for a peak Josh Jenkins with respectable ruck work / could take a contested mark.

It’s the unpredictability around big kids like this translating dominance to AFL level that makes me feel a bit uneasy about taking Thilthorpe. There’s a catalogue of cautionary tales for spending early first round selections on the 2 metre forward/ruck unicorn.

Read back my previous posts in this thread today. Reasonably aligned. My only difference is the first round pick being a key forward.
I also disagree that COVID has boosted McDonald into contention. That’s just bollocks. He’s a stand out.
He a Stand because there is no competition coming from Victoria, Due to COVID the one State who dominate the Top 10 in Drafts,
The Crows need Ball winners, and we have a chance to get one, in this draft, there are tall Forwards at pick 8, However, I doubt we will pick one.
We need Ball winners and some bigger Bodied ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back