Preview 1st Semi-final: Geelong vs Collingwood, Sat 10 Oct GABBA @ 7.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just that, It takes Collingwood's focus solely off Hawkins.
I posted a similiar point earlier about the same thing - although less specific than you were - about making Moore and Roughy accountable all game long.
Tomma will do his thing but whomever the #2 KPF is ( Sav in your case) must must must take their opponents attention the entire game long.

If they disregard him, we are done.

Go Catters

I posted a similiar point earlier about the same thing - although less specific than you were - about making Moore and Roughy accountable all game long.
Tomma will do his thing but whomever the #2 KPF is ( Sav in your case) must must must take their opponents attention the entire game long.

If they disregard him, we are done.

Go Catters
agree

Our 2nd KPF/marking target has to score goals or create them. Faking it won’t do the trick.

There’s no doubt some of Rohan’s efforts during the year have been phenomenal.... but if he is invisible yet again this week, it’s gonna be impossible to ignore the fact he simply can’t perform under the pressure of finals. Would be an absolute indictment on the club to continue playing him.

I’m a Gryan Miers fan. Have rated him since he debuted last year. But gee whiz, a pattern is emerging. He simply doesn’t like the contest. In frenetic, high pressure finals like last week, his game virtually disappears. It’s a huge concern, and his position in the team must be very shaky.

There’s no doubt some of Rohan’s efforts during the year have been phenomenal.... but if he is invisible yet again this week, it’s gonna be impossible to ignore the fact he simply can’t perform under the pressure of finals. Would be an absolute indictment on the club to continue playing him.

I’m a Gryan Miers fan. Have rated him since he debuted last year. But gee whiz, a pattern is emerging. He simply doesn’t like the contest. In frenetic, high pressure finals like last week, his game virtually disappears. It’s a huge concern, and his position in the team must be very shaky.
I think Miers just gets asked to do too much. He's picking up disposals all over the ground. It worked when sides paid no attention to it because he'd be off in space but now they know too look out for the extra mid he's not having the same impact.

Miers is a small forward pocket goal poacher and that's it. Liability anywhere else on the ground.

Rohan is a victim of slow ball movement, not surprisingly in big games where Geelongs ball movement is stifled, Rohan can't get near it. He needs pace on the game to get space in the forward half to use his number 1 asset, speed.

I know its kinda the elephant in the room...

But this could be ( hopefully not ) GAJ last game.

Really dont want to go out like this.

GO Catters

Miers is a small forward pocket goal poacher and that's it. Liability anywhere else on the ground.

Rohan is a victim of slow ball movement, not surprisingly in big games where Geelongs ball movement is stifled, Rohan can't get near it. He needs pace on the game to get space in the forward half to use his number 1 asset, speed.
yeah its hard for him to impact using his speed when he's in a pack of 5 going for a mark.
Delivery is key.

Go Catters

I guess much depends on whether you take the broader view on our efforts in the last 9 years. And don't overrate an average playing list in doing so.
An average playing list that somehow has the best win loss record in the comp out of 18 teams in the past 8 years.

we beat both teams that made the prelims comfortably this year.

Last edited:

I cant believe that Rohan in the Collingwood side V WC could not have had an impact.. the quick play on , ball into fowardline allowed some situation that Rohan would have liked. A slow crowded game which we devolve into for finals and against some opponents doesn't seem to suit him.. the ground just gets smaller. He is one player ..the bigger the ground the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have wondered about the onfield leadership for some time. I've wondered if Scott is a manager by delegation. I wonder if it's left up to everyone else yet the gaps in that approach are what is hurting. Everyone thinks everyone else is doing it whilst no-one actually is doing it.
That's how Fagan operates. He said so himself. He delegates coaching to others and is more about the overall environment.

Last edited:
Hard to build the mental side and heart and playing for the couch, when the coach hardly speaks to most of the players. Scott is a delegation coach. Leaves the smaller stuff and the talking to other coaches. Fagan strikes me as a bomber coach, a mentor. No wonder they played well the other night as a single driven unit. Hate that my club is the opposite.
What a ridiculously longbow to draw.

So we are in week 2 of the finals (1 of 6 teams remaining), and suddenly, Chris Scott doesn't talk to his players and delegates, and Fagan is the better coach. That's literally off one game that you're making this comparison.

How did it work out during the season when the Lions were hot and premiership favourites and the Cats smoked them? Do you think that during that game Fagan didn't talk to his players and Scott did?

If we missed the finals - then you could point out that we had no synergy as a team and there might be a disconnect. But we didn't miss the finals, we had a really good percentage, we had some really great wins - and all the while hardly ever playing at home with minimal complaints. The reason that we lost against Port was because of terrible conversion and execution.

Well he can’t hit a target atm:straining:

Well regarded by the older vets. The young players he’s probably never spoken to. If the rumours are true.
Not true. In recent times, so many younger players have mentioned him with familiarity. He also talks about them in his interviews.

Maybe it happened a few years back, it was raised by journalists. But it hasn't been brought up since then.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. The pressure is only going to continue to mount with every poor finals showing - it's obvious as heck, but the only way to get over it is to start performing better when the crunch moments come around. It just sucks massively that it's gotten to the point where it appears previous finals experience is actively hampering us rather than proving beneficial as it would in 99% of cases.
If Kolo nailed his very simple goal, that would have sparked the players and we would have run over the top of Port. I don't think he could have had an easier kick to be honest.

I’m not ready for this to be the last time a Gary Ablett plays for Geelong, and the thought of it is stressing me out.

For some reason I feel I'm the opposite... aside from maybe that side step against Sydney it's been a while since he's contributed in a way you kinda expected of him which is harsh because he's not always going to be how he was. Even if he has had a few flashes this year I just feel his time has come to allow someone else try to be brilliant.

He has improved over the last year or 2. Flat out refused to talk to the younger players earlier in his coaching career
I think you added a bit of mayonaise to that comment. "Flat out refused"... yeah sure.

What actually happened was that he delegated the primary task of coaching the younger players into the system to the line and development coaches. He didnt refuse to speak to them, rather he trusted his team of coaches to do their jobs without micro-managing them. It's a fairly normal and effective business practice to do this.

If Kolo nailed his very simple goal, that would have sparked the players and we would have run over the top of Port. I don't think he could have had an easier kick to be honest.

Same with many of the goals we missed on Thursday. There is the confidence factor that comes with nailing a few of those and the momentum would have shifted a fair bit more in Geelong's way I reckon.

Gryan was worst on ground v Port. He had 7 disposals (at 29% eff), 0 tackles, only 8 pressure acts. I was at the game and he looked like he didn't want to be there.

Maynard will absolutely poleaxe him this next game. Rattle him like the Richmond and Port boys did. It's up to Gryan to work out if he can deal with this. I look at Liam Ryan, who is also lightly built and guess what - he loves the hard stuff.

So Miers is 21 and in his 3rd year.. aside from Joel, were many players that great at the same time?

If the match committee is worth their salt, they'd make the tough calls to drop Harry and Miers this week.

Both were huge liabilities last week. I know Dixon only kicked one goal, but those at the game would know that was more of a team effort. Port's smaller mids were coasting past Harry, he couldn't get near them.

Blicavs to take his spot down back, Ratugolea to come in and share the ruck with Stanley. Miers makes way for Narkle/Close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back