The Law Marijuana Legalisation

Should Marijuana be legalised in Australia?

• Yes, for both Recreational and Medicinal purposes.

Votes: 136 81.9%
  • Yes, but only for Medicinal purposes.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • No.

Votes: 13 7.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

28166517_2088835768003346_2580317619315190242_n.jpg

From Fiona Patten, the only politician in Victoria that deserves their pay:

Fiona Patten Challenges Premier and Opposition Leader With New ‘Tough on Drugs’ Paradigm – Media Release

Monday, 19 February 2018

Reason Party MP, Fiona Patten, has challenged both the Premier and the Leader of the Opposition to enact new laws around drugs that would be the toughest ever introduced in Victoria. She said they would smash the $8 billion dollar illegal drug empire overnight and reduce the crime rate in the state by a staggering 20%.

“My tough on drugs strategy begins by legalising cannabis which is the toughest measure that any government could apply to organised crime groups who make most of their money from the sale of illicit drugs”, she said. “Up until now, the tough on drugs strategy has been applied to the end users of the drugs and not the crime gangs who push them. This has been a disastrous misunderstanding of how to be ‘tough on drugs’.

Current estimates place the wholesale trade of illegal cannabis in Victoria at $1.5 billion which equates to more than $8 billion in retail sales. “We are spending millions while the criminals are making billions.”

“If Victoria legalised and regulated the sale of cannabis and taxed it a 30%, then that’s $2.4 billion that could be invested in schools, roads, hospitals and public transport. More importantly, it is $8 billion removed from the hands of hardened criminals and international crime syndicates who use those funds to build meth labs, purchase guns and even fund terrorist activities overseas,” said Patten .

“Our current legal framework criminalising the production, sale, possession and/or use of cannabis in Victoria is a Government endorsed racket which enables an unregulated multi-billion dollar black market industry to flourish”, she said. “That’s not a tough on crime strategy – mine is!

California, the fifth largest economy in the world has just undertaken this paradigm ‘tough on drugs’ shift which is expected to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in state taxes and smash crime syndicates. Canada will allow the national retail sale of cannabis from 1 July 2018. They expect to completely eradicate the black market sale and criminal profiteering of cannabis through taxation and government regulation.

Fiona Patten sits on Victoria’s Law Reform, Road and Community Safety Committee and initiated its current inquiry into Drug Law Reform in December 2015. The inquiry is Australia’s largest and most extensive inquiry into Drug Law Reform. Its report and recommendations will be tabled in Parliament at the end of March 2018.

https://fionapatten.com.au/news/challenges-leader-to-be-tough-on-drugs/
Legalisation is only the first step - making hemp a true cash-crop is the second.
1 ha of hemp produces as much paper pulp as 4 ha of pine plantation, the fibre has many manufacturing uses beyond just clothing and paper.

Never seen a street brawl where the participants were all stoned either (it's freaking impossible).

Ms Patten has had what may be described as a checkered, and unconvincing career to date......
Why not address the point and not attack the person?
There is serious merit in this.
I’d also legalise a safe party substance. Youngsters use anyway so why not give them a safe substance to use and get some money back in the tax, so we can sustain our country going forward.

Why not address the point and not attack the person?
There is serious merit in this.
I’d also legalise a safe party substance. Youngsters use anyway so why not give them a safe substance to use and get some money back in the tax, so we can sustain our country going forward.
Right.
So why is everyone attacking Barnaby?

I didn’t defend her I defended her policy. I encouraged you to be an adult and discuss the issue. It’s too bad you are obviously incapable...
Sorry.
But people need credibility before you blindly follow them.
She hasn't got any (check out her history as I did), and I don't need to get personal like you do......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with the country in deficit and looking at 50 years before the debt will be paid off surely the Government is going to have to look at new revenue streams

Legalizing marijuana and getting tax revenue from the sales rather than spending money in criminalizing it seems like a no brainer

with the country in deficit and looking at 50 years before the debt will be paid off surely the Government is going to have to look at new revenue streams

Legalizing marijuana and getting tax revenue from the sales rather than spending money in criminalizing it seems like a no brainer
Totally agree but that would require imagination from the government as yet unseen in the last seven years. *puffs spliff*

Even if it brings in a few bucks taking it away from the bikie gangs I don't see how its good for the country encouraging more people to be losers that sit around getting stoned all day.

Are you under the impression that people in this thread are for the forced consumption of marijuana? No one can force you to smoke a joint mate.

You can go to jail for a substance that is irrefutably less dangerous than tobacco or alcohol, stuff you can buy from your local IGA. Compared to other first world countries, our laws are beginning to look like a joke.

Even if it brings in a few bucks taking it away from the bikie gangs I don't see how its good for the country encouraging more people to be losers that sit around getting stoned all day.
I ran out of weed recently, so I contacted a random from a classifieds ad on the internet and was back home getting high in fifteen minutes. It's that easy to get.

The losers who sit around getting stoned all day are doing it anyway and you can't stop them.

People that sit around smoking it all day would be in the minority. It’s a bit of a stereotype really. You’d be surprised how many older people do it for pain, professionals do it for stress relief etc.

Its also just very easy to get anyway. Most people over here still get it the illegal way because it’s just cheaper and more convenient.

Making something legal doesn’t mean it’s for everyone. People should be trusted to make a decision.

Weed might make me a little dull around the edges and I'm never going to be the sharpest tool in the box in the first place but dealing with folks like you it's not like you need your a game anyway.

Weed might make me a little dull around the edges and I'm never going to be the sharpest tool in the box in the first place but dealing with folks like you it's not like you need your a game anyway.
An A game maybe not required but your problem is your game is down at the D or F level.

Last edited:
Not everybody who smokes weed sits around all day being a loser. Same as not everyone who drinks alcohol gets aggressive and punches on or the same that not everyone who gambles becomes a degenerate

Look up someone like Joe Rogan who openly confesses to smoke weed every day. He just signed a $100m deal for his podcast. Bill Gates, Brad Pitt, Michael Phelps & Seth Rogan are some other extremely successful people who frequently smoke weed.

So do tell me what has your successful anti-weed ass ever done?

Not everybody who smokes weed sits around all day being a loser. Same as not everyone who drinks alcohol gets aggressive and punches on or the same that not everyone who gambles becomes a degenerate

Look up someone like Joe Rogan who openly confesses to smoke weed every day. He just signed a $100m deal for his podcast. Bill Gates, Brad Pitt, Michael Phelps & Seth Rogan are some other extremely successful people who frequently smoke weed.

So do tell me what has your successful anti-weed ass ever done?

Yep...

any argument you have against pot you need to use that arguments against booze.
People will smoke and drive, yes people drink and drive. I pass 6 bottle shops going to and from work. id never drink and drive
People will get high at work, very few people would drink at work
etc
etc

the only weakness i can see, and i believe that the US has made some in roads to this where is has been legalised, is the control on the strength (THC levels) of the stuff. if the stuff is being sold in the shop it cant be Jimmy McKnackerbags dodgy bush bud. there has to be some sort of control and reconciliation from seed to store front.

Back