Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the clubs to the north are basically underwritten by the AFL in the name of growing the game so they can't be part of a block. Freo would be materially bigger than the three smaller Melbourne clubs. So it is really just Port that can join the block.

GC & GWS would be first in the gun, so I dunno about that.

At the end of the day we can't be relocated or merged by anyone else, so they can "express all the concern's" they like.

Always thought he was a bit floggy with a propensity for saying stupid things, but the way he talked about the different 'types' of clubs and the importance of them all really, really, impressed me. Almost surprising that a businessman is so in touch with the non-business aspects of the sports.
Koch's dad played for Port, I think. So he gets the tribal aspect of it.

Yeh I was taking that as a given so was curious what extra tidbit he needed to comfort him.

I gathered that the general thrust of Wayne’s barrage was the lack of communication. I have to admit it is driving me a little mental not quite knowing what’s going on. However, we have to accept the club is in a really awkward position. The draft/trading period really can’t come quickly enough for me. I might actually expire from angst before then.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely stunned was the response from Kochie when the viability of the 18 teams was raised in the media.

20 minutes in when asked about the Presidents meeting.

So Caro and Whateley were making their story up that North were in trouble and other clubs were worried. Who would’ve guessed that :think:

So Caro and Whateley were making their story up that North were in trouble and other clubs were worried. Who would’ve guessed that :think:

Not quite. It appears they are being fed this from some bigger clubs. Koch described it as a “land grab” by some bigger clubs.

Probably clubs hat are about to announce multi million dollar losses.

All of the clubs to the north are basically underwritten by the AFL in the name of growing the game so they can't be part of a block. Freo would be materially bigger than the three smaller Melbourne clubs. So it is really just Port that can join the block.

I think there's still some shared interests though - it's teams like Fremantle that end up having to play games in Tasmania / Geelong every year because the AFL never sends big Melbourne clubs to these places.

Not quite. It appears they are being fed this from some bigger clubs. Koch described it as a “land grab” by some bigger clubs.

Surely Essendon is feeding that narrative to cover up the problems they have. We might have our issues but we haven't had players come out and demand to leave the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's something for the "big" clubs to remember. Kill off all the existing smaller clubs, there will still be a club at the bottom of the financial food chain getting eyed off.

Personally I think very few of the bigger (Melbourne) clubs want to kill off smaller Vic Clubs - it suits them to have smaller Melbourne clubs vulnerable but around to maintain their Vic based fixturing and prime time. I think more likely bigger interstate clubs (so they can push towards a more equal fixture and better access to those same big Vic Clubs), although ironically their best chance of achieve that would be to push for more support for smaller Melbourne teams (IMO). A team like West Coast might not want to travel to Tasmania every 5 mins but the reality is that they're doing it because a) we can't live off the VIC scraps we earn and b) the AFL doesn't want to turn the $$$ tap off by having Essendon, Collingwood etc play in Tasmania, Geelong or wherever.

Personally I think very few of the bigger (Melbourne) clubs want to kill off smaller Vic Clubs - it suits them to have smaller Melbourne clubs vulnerable but around to maintain their Vic based fixturing and prime time. I think more likely bigger interstate clubs (so they can push towards a more equal fixture and better access to those same big Vic Clubs), although ironically their best chance of achieve that would be to push for more support for smaller Melbourne teams (IMO). A team like West Coast might not want to travel to Tasmania every 5 mins but the reality is that they're doing it because a) we can't live off the VIC scraps we earn and b) the AFL doesn't want to turn the $$$ tap off by having Essendon, Collingwood etc play in Tasmania, Geelong or wherever.

The bigger clubs want us to be the AFL's version of the Washington Generals. They don't want us to disappear completely but we have no right to be successful in their eyes.

Spot on, koche indirectly confirming that they did in fact discuss the future of some smaller clubs.

Caro is then provided that info and happily attaches the North and st kilda name to it.

Here’s the hilarious thing, regardless of her intentions, who would have told us about this disturbing news if not for Caro? Lol
The cow that wants us dead is giving us a heads up 😂

"land grab" to me reeks of the Swans v GWS & Brisbane v Gold Coast, and the powerful clubs vs NGA academies.

When you think about it, what other context would it most likely be?

It certainly has little relationship to North, or supporter markets, it's about access to players.

I gathered that the general thrust of Wayne’s barrage was the lack of communication. I have to admit it is driving me a little mental not quite knowing what’s going on. However, we have to accept the club is in a really awkward position. The draft/trading period really can’t come quickly enough for me. I might actually expire from angst before then.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Time really does seem to slow down between the end of the home and away season and trade week when we aren't playing finals. We have discussed every reasonable trade scenario and a mountain of ridiculous ones and there are still a couple of weeks to go.

I didn't read it like that.

He said that he was surprised by the pessimism of some of the presidents regarding the health of the comp and some wanting drastic change, when he thinks the health of the competition is fine considering the circumstances.

It reads like a few of the bigger clubs might be trying to push forward some conditions if they have to pay part of the salary cap out of their own pockets.

"land grab" to me reeks of the Swans v GWS & Brisbane v Gold Coast, and the powerful clubs vs NGA academies.

It certainly has little relationship to North, or supporter markets, it's about access to players.

I think it’s solely about money. The big clubs have already stated they will demand the AFL pay 100% of the salary cap, which to this point the AFL haven’t agreed to.

These same clubs will announce massive losses for 2020, and are probably fearful of more big losses in the next couple of years. They haven’t needed to run a tight ship to this point.

They see the $12 mill plus the extra in disequal funding north get and say, we could just get rid of north and get an extra $1 mill a year.

Not at all imo.

This reads like WCE, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn etc wanting some sort of competitive compensation for their $$$ imo.

I think it’s solely about money. The big clubs have already stated they will demand the AFL pay 100% of the salary cap, which to this point the AFL haven’t agreed to.

These same clubs will announce massive losses for 2020, and are probably fearful of more big losses in the next couple of years. They haven’t needed to run a tight ship to this point.

They see the $12 mill plus the extra in disequal funding north get and say, we could just get rid of north and get an extra $1 mill a year.

This just does not make any sense to me.

The cap thing is about getting it down from $13.8 mill to $12 mill, right?

Not at all imo.

This reads like WCE, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn etc wanting some sort of competitive compensation for their $$$ imo.

How?

By driving up the inflation of the sport?

If that's the case, then it ultimately goes back to them being put over a barrel by players.

Less clubs in the Vic landscape equals more pie for those who remain. If we die or relocate it’s in every other Vic clubs interest. With exception of maybe the next smallest club who will start getting talked about in the same terms we do. However, I doubt any of those clubs would be thinking about this. They’d be too busy trying to make a grab for our supporter base.

I don't doubt Caro gets fed by Richmond as well as her working arrangements with Eddie. She's a big club shill through and through.

This just does not make any sense to me.

The cap thing is about getting it down from $13.8 mill to $12 mill, right?

How?

By driving up the inflation of the sport?

If that's the case, then it ultimately goes back to them being put over a barrel by players.

The freo chairman said that they will announce a $1 mill plus loss for the year. And that was a good result. And they got to play some home games.

There will be losses closer to 10 mill for the year I think. And it’s worrying some of those big clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back