Home & Garden Spiders can get ****ed

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's one I had in my backyard recently. 10997012_10153454235859973_5932319413256715984_n.jpg

Whatever you reckon about the spiders that build them, you have to admit those webs really are a work of art. Incredible.

They're some of the most brilliant architects of the critter kingdom.

Charlotte's web certainly caught my imagination as a kid ( if you'll pardon the pun)…..That's why I always try to dissuade others from killing them out of fear.

Last edited:
I looked after a friend's dog last Summer, and walked it most nights around Bentleigh/East Bentleigh. I saw several redbacks next to front fences on the footpaths. It was pretty much the first time I'd walked anywhere since my dog died about 7 years ago, and I don't remember seeing redbacks back then.

I saw 'disorganised' webs, always low to the ground, spun being fences and the ground, and wondered what the fa'r'k they were. I had a closer look and spotted the redbacks. I kept an eye out for them after that, and saw probably 20!!! So, look out! :D

I also spotted a few around my garden. Again, they're always close to the ground, and spin their shabby against a wall or fence.

Doing some gardening the other day - saw a ladybird. Bent down to pick it up - woah! - redback! (little one).

Anyway, got a stick, coaxed it on to the end, and took it to the deck to show the wife. She said - 'How come you can basically pick up a deadly venomous (if tiny) spider, yet if there is a totally harmless huntsman on the wall, you run off to your mum's house for several days?'.

My arachnophobia is purely size-based.

I looked after a friend's dog last Summer, and walked it most nights around Bentleigh/East Bentleigh. I saw several redbacks next to front fences on the footpaths. It was pretty much the first time I'd walked anywhere since my dog died about 7 years ago, and I don't remember seeing redbacks back then.

I saw 'disorganised' webs, always low to the ground, spun being fences and the ground, and wondered what the fa'r'k they were. I had a closer look and spotted the redbacks. I kept an eye out for them after that, and saw probably 20!!! So, look out! :D

I also spotted a few around my garden. Again, they're always close to the ground, and spin their shabby against a wall or fence.
I don’t remember ever seeing Redbacks around my folks house or surrounding area (Adelaide Hills) as a kid, have seen as an adult in recent times, along with every summer around my own property. I’d go with they are much more prevalent these days. Bloody mass extinctions of wildlife due to man isn’t sending enough species extinct 😡

Doing some gardening the other day - saw a ladybird. Bent down to pick it up - woah! - redback! (little one).

Anyway, got a stick, coaxed it on to the end, and took it to the deck to show the wife. She said - 'How come you can basically pick up a deadly venomous (if tiny) spider, yet if there is a totally harmless huntsman on the wall, you run off to your mum's house for several days?'.

Same here. I can deal with small, deadly spiders, but a hunstman or a trapdoor spider will paralyse me with fear.

Same here. Though I'd add speed to the mix. Half my fear of huntsmans comes from the fact they can scale your leg in about half a second.

Same here. I can deal with small, deadly spiders, but a hunstman or a trapdoor spider will paralyse me with fear.

Huntsmen, in spite of their name, are harmless.

Just leave them be to scrouge about your house for a week or 2, & they'll mop up all the creepy crawlies for you in no time....Job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just leave them be to scrouge about your house for a week or 2, & they'll mop up all the creepy crawlies for you in no time....Job done.
As long as they stay up in a corner away from me I've managed to (just) suppress my instinct to kill all spiders with Huntsmen in the house. More so these days as they'll kill redbacks. Gardening tiny (non-red back) spiders, as long as they aren't touching me don't freak me out, but get beyond the size of a 10 cent piece and the anxiety starts to rise. Definitely the worse are the few huge redbacks encountered. Those make me shiver just thinking of them.

i cant stand the sight of huntsman spiders in the house, i know they are harmless, but the can gtfo of the house, the wife is pretty good at catching them and releasing them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back