Bluemour Melting Pot XXVI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the Bluemour File OP, this is a thread for discussing Carlton related rumours.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bluemour-file.1085141/

Rumour posters should post their rumours in both threads for those that like just to read rumours and for those that like to have get lost in their rumour files.

Remember ... #Bluemour

Continued from here ...

Continued here:

Last edited by a moderator:
There were very strong rumours that his initial operation and recovery didn’t go as perfect as planned. It does match the timeline.

Having over 12 months off will do him really well. He’ll be as good as new next year and in hindsight not having him this year wasn’t a huge issue. Write off year.
Yeah if he gets through preseason without any setbacks he should be good to go round 1. Seemed to be moving around really well at the end of the year, pace, change of direction, tackling. So has confidence in the knee again and it's holding up well.

It sounds like he wants to come, but still can't see a deal getting done.

Also, seeing Richmond on the weekend and the powerhouse they have built from a simple mix of 1st rounders, decent trades, development of rookies and a rock-solid culture, I've got no problem with going down the same route. They recruited Lynch of course but that was after they won 2017 easy.

The route we're going down with recruiting everyone we can is a bit Essendon-ish. Williams and Saad will be fantastic pick ups, happy to leave it there and build from within, unless something lands in our lap for cheap.

What are you talking about, we’ve been heavily invested in the last 5 drafts, we’ve built the backbone....now we are after the cream

We will be one position deficient, forward pocket...doesn’t have to kick a lot of goals just pressure, harass and be at the fall of the ball. I back is to find a half decent one easily

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Even without Wines Melbourne has plnety of inside ball winners, losing Oliver isn't going to hurt that much when they have Petracca, Viney & Brayshaw. Not saying they will agree to a trade but they would be mad not to explore the opportunity to use a surplus to address a deficit.

That looks wrong on face value, but makes for a very good point.
Petracca is much more damaging as a mid than Oliver is and if his fitness can be clocked up a little more, there's a very high ceiling for him.
Oliver is Melbourne principle extractor, but seems to me that with opportunity, others can pick up that slack.

Still think that Melbourne need forwards and speed, more than they need inside ball winners
If indeed Oliver is a bad apple amongst the group, Melbourne could take full advantage of the situation.

People thought that when Hawthorn lost Buddy in 2013, Hawthorn would go backwards....2 Premierships later....

It sounds like he wants to come, but still can't see a deal getting done.

Also, seeing Richmond on the weekend and the powerhouse they have built from a simple mix of 1st rounders, decent trades, development of rookies and a rock-solid culture, I've got no problem with going down the same route. They recruited Lynch of course but that was after they won 2017 easy.

The route we're going down with recruiting everyone we can is a bit Essendon-ish. Williams and Saad will be fantastic pick ups, happy to leave it there and build from within, unless something lands in our lap for cheap.
Richmond went out and got Prestia and won the GF the next year.

For sure, I put that down to shrewd necessary trading, rather than chasing the biggest stars. Remember Treloar publicly rejected them and they settled for Prestia who was their second choice.

What are you talking about, we’ve been heavily invested in the last 5 drafts, we’ve built the backbone....now we are after the cream
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree. Saad and Williams are excellent additions as 'cream'. Am I desperate to land another big name like Oliver? Not really, I think our star power will be some of the best in the league in the next few years.

Blue Thunder
Where are you mate?

Am still around HBF - enjoy reading these threads 😂

It is correct that C Oliver would like a new home at the Blues however a deal would be very difficult.

His Manager has both clubs but Melb will not likely let him go and will back themselves in to resettle him.

His Manager will not announce this to the public whilst a deal is unlikely to be achievable.

Lots of moving parts but club exploring all options.

Okay, so what we know:
1. Oliver wants to come to us. He's informed the club but from our end, we're clearly towing the line and trying to keep it hush in the event a deal can't be done.
2. Melbourne equally don't want to publicly acknowledge this and perhaps don't want to lose him at all, so are also keeping things hush.
3. It may hinge on Melbourne bringing in another player (see: Wines) before they sign off.
4. We have enough draft capital but it remains to be seen whether a young player of ours will be used.
5. If we manage to get Oliver across to the club with Saad (Williams a monty at this point), this club will go apeshit as will the entire football fraternity.

EDIT: thanks for confirming point 2, Blue Thunder

What? Saints are targeting Shaun McKernan? 🤣
Why???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Splitti

Splitting 7 is the pivotal play.

Late 1st, early 2nd (equivalent) for Saad, maybe a 3rd back our way (but we don't need picks? We do need a KPD and a small forward - rookie?)

So Oliver gets the Dees - our future 1st (they'll presume that's a top 10 pick), our current 1st (the leftover from the split of #7) and steak knives, if necessary.

How is that not ample in light of the Judd, Shiel, Treloar, Neale deals?

Very gutsy move at a Blackjack table.

Even without Wines Melbourne has plnety of inside ball winners, losing Oliver isn't going to hurt that much when they have Petracca, Viney & Brayshaw. Not saying they will agree to a trade but they would be mad not to explore the opportunity to use a surplus to address a deficit.

True that.

Would be highly unprofessional for their list management team to only consider our players. They'll take a week or so to make some calls and see what they may be able to get elsewhere. If they can find one or two they like, or can se a way to trade further up the draft board to target a particular draftee, then we could be in business.

Might still take a player from our side to get it over the line, but I think it would be a steak knives type situation rather than swapping premium players.

More likely that Melbourne have no interest in moving him from what I’m told. There’s been issues but they believe that it can be worked out. It’s going to take something not worth our while to make it happen.
It wasn't worth Fremantle's while to make Neale happen, either. Collingwood didn't want to lose Beams the first time around.

What this will be is akin to the Gibbs trade; we asked for players, and Adelaide said no, so we then set our price and until they met it they didn't get him. In this situation - unlike Adelaide's, where they both waited a year too long and imploded - we have more time, we have better currency, and we've not actively sought to bring it out into the public eye (which keeps Melbourne onside).

If we wind up paying two firsts, that's fine. It's the contract amount that's troubling me.

Edit: and your comment has sent me down a rabbit hole as I try to find the origin of the phrase 'worth your while'.

Last edited:
Seems they are concerned about Membrey or King getting injured and they like playing two tall forwards together.

If they were that concerned, they could've gotten Mitch Brown last year. He's a much better forward than McKernan is, and much less of a prat.
probably ruck/forward cover for Ryder. I’m sure they’re hoping he wouldn’t be playing games.
... which is a bit of a forlorn hope. Ryder's always missed games.

Am still around HBF - enjoy reading these threads 😂

It is correct that C Oliver would like a new home at the Blues however a deal would be very difficult.

His Manager has both clubs but Melb will not likely let him go and will back themselves in to resettle him.

His Manager will not announce this to the public whilst a deal is unlikely to be achievable.

Lots of moving parts but club exploring all options.

Great to see you post again.
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

The Richmond that missed out on finals in 2016 was already more advanced than where we are now having played finals in 2013, 2014 and 2015. It wasn't a sudden rise to the premiership in 2017. The players we add this year will hopefully make us certain finalists, there's still some way to go before we're competing for flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back