Delisted GM, Football - Dan Richardson - Club confirms, has been sacked, 29/10

Remove this Banner Ad

When he gave Saad a whack on the way out I definitely questioned whether he was the right person for the job.

There's no way Neil Balme is saying s**t like that.

Dont really care on timing, we need to change, and all we have to go on is what the new president and board decide at the moment.

Not saying he shouldn't go, but a month ago would have been better than now.

Unless they were lining up a replacement, there's nothing on the EFC website as yet about it.

They've gone with the 'look-over-here' method of a new sponsor announcement instead.

This going to be interesting to see if it's a knee jerk reaction to some of the odd things he has pulled and said, or we have someone lined up and had to get out the machete quick smart.

Ohhh this club... 🙂

What are we doing?

We're going to leave it to our list manager, and knowing that there has been tension between him and the footy manager, to manage the trade period and draft period with no football oversight. The same guy whose 20 year career is most generously assessed as a giant "?".

While I can't say listening to Dan Richardson has ever filled me with confidence it seems to me that he needed some clear water to implement the strategies that the geniuses on the board and in the executive were convinced by only 20 months ago. Not to mention that we are stuck with his coaching succession plan (not having done any form of recruiting process to work out whether there was a better option). I'm not sure how you could sensibly attribute the stagnation to anything Richardson has done.

Sheedy's appointment to the board. The club's fending off attacks for its mediocrity which is instilled by its culture that everyone in football other then Essendon can see through. It feels like we are cleaning house of external influences. Frankly, that's a terrifying idea.

Short of installing Ross Lyon in a GM type role, with ultimate control over the entire program, at least initially, I am not sure how I could be convinced that making this decision when we made it is a good thing. Even with the Boss' appointment my satisfaction would only be a leap of faith based on his history of valuing football that is the opposite of the football we have played during the same time (and the success that has brought his teams with talent which was above average at best).

Last edited:
Classic dodo outlasting another bloke from a successful club get ready for offering Snelling a 2nd and a 3rd for Dunkley

Has the clubs favourite child Dodoro gotten sick of Richardson overruling him on list management decisions (Shiel trade, possibly Daniher last year)?
GM of dept that has really underperformed the last 3 years.
Fingerprints on the Shiel & Daniher trade decisions.
Im out of the loop on this - what was his role in the Shiel trade and why did that go against St. Dodo?

Im out of the loop on this - what was his role in the Shiel trade and why did that go against St. Dodo?
rumour has it AD was holding out on the 1 pick.
Richo came in late to get the deal done.

Shiel was a nice to have. And was OOC the following year.
We were silly to blink. Even if it meant we missed him, but i reckon he would have waited a year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested to know how much this might just be down to $. Might be some shuffling and a position or two no longer exist.

I'd like to see Dodoro and Campbell follow, but timing of trade week and the draft make that problematic.

Interested to know how much this might just be down to $. Might be some shuffling and a position or two no longer exist.

I'd like to see Dodoro and Campbell follow, but timing of trade week and the draft make that problematic.
I think if anything this is confirmation Dodoro will not be let go.

Apparently we were holding the line for the Shiel trade - 1st rounder and 2nd rounder.

Richardson intervened to ensure we gave the 2x 1st rounders.
rumour has it AD was holding out on the 1 pick.
Richo came in late to get the deal done.

Shiel was a nice to have. And was OOC the following year.
We were silly to blink. Even if it meant we missed him, but i reckon he would have waited a year.
Pretty sure this was reported by Damian Barrett, and there was a full page feature in one of the major papers or something as well 'how the Shiel deal got done'.

It was framed as anti-Dodoro at the time. 'Dodoro hard to deal with, Richardson had to intervene'.

It's too sudden for that. Pretty sure we completed our 'right sizing' stuff already as well.

If it was just that, he wouldn't be "sacked" he'd be "let go with our best wishes and will work his notice period (because we can't afford to pay him out)"

I don't actually know if he's working his notice period. Sounds like not.

I trust the process that's led to this decision. Brasher did state he was looking at all areas of the club and I'd imagine this is one he saw a need for change.
Why? Do think it is a problem?
What's the process? How'd they come to this decision?

Yes I think sacking someone this large in the football department right before their off-seasons biggest month is an error.

It's too sudden for that. Pretty sure we completed our 'right sizing' stuff already as well.

If it was just that he wouldn't be "sacked" he'd be "let go with our best wishes and will work his notice period (because we can't afford to pay him out)"

I don't actually know if he's working his notice period. Sounds like not.
I wonder if it has to do with the proximity to trade week. If the club identified that they wanted to terminate his employment relatively recently they clearly had their reasons (as to their legitimacy....?) and so whatever shortcomings they saw they may have seen them having an impact on our trade and FA period and so they pulled the plug.

Its the only logic i see to doing it now of all times.

What's the process? How'd they come to this decision?

Yes I think sacking someone this large in the football department right before their off-seasons biggest month is an error.

People are very excited for change and are viewing it as cleaning out the "old Ways" to move forward.

What if the club is now cleaning out external influences and embracing the old. Brasher. Sheeds. Dodoro.

We could be becoming more insular which for a club that seemingly has not been well run since the turn of the century is not a good thing.

Should always be wary of any change, especially when we are all on the outside looking in.

People are very excited for change and are viewing it as cleaning out the "old Ways" to move forward.

What if the club is now cleaning out external influences and embracing the old. Brasher. Sheeds. Dodoro.

We could be becoming more insular which for a club that seemingly has not been well run since the turn of the century is not a good thing.

Should always be wary of any change, especially when we are all on the outside looking in.
You've nailed it. It's not change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back