Delisted GM, Football - Dan Richardson - Club confirms, has been sacked, 29/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Both can be wrong though.

How many people in positions to actually impact on performance are still around from 5 years ago? Let alone 10 or 20?

Dodoro is really the only one, and it's arguable as to whether he's anything other than simply average at what he does. I doubt replacing him mysteriously turns things around.

We can have been unsuccessful for a long period of time without it necessarily being one single long-running thing causing it.

Sheedy was past his use by date and needed to go.
Knights was never really given the resources to succeed, but also seemed to not be a particularly good coach.
Hird seemed to get the players on-side and playing for him, but the events from 2013 - 2016 killed any chances, and I'm not sure he was anything special as a coach anyway.
Daniher looked our generational FF in 2017, so we went and built around him and then his body fell apart, killing 2018 - 2020.

I think it's a cumulative effect of a number of short-term decisions being made.

As it stands the board the executive are largely made up of the people who survived the supplements saga.

They've appointed 3 coaches in a short period of time, not even pretending to go through a real recruitment process. They approved Richardson's succession plan as they are the one who ultimately appoint the coach / ratify the decision.

We've chased a comeback story for 4 years now and made some appalling football decisions in the process. A lot of which had to go high enough up the chain to be ticked off by the most senior people. The stupid contracts to Hurley, Hooker and Heppell, trading ourselves out of the first round 3 years in a row getting sucked into the potential of 2017.

All of the people who have landed us in this position are at the club seemingly conducting reviews of themselves. They've scapegoated Worsfold and now Richardson. It is not at all clear to me what the long-term strategic planning that has led us to this point, I would say is close to our lowest ebb (even if there is potential for a significant and quick rebound), had to do with the scapegoats.

None of the executive or the board are fit to stay in their positions. Brasher has been sucked in once. I suspect Sheedy and Dodoro have probably done a number on him and our expectations at this point are anything but rebuild. He's refused to utter the words to this point. We've now left Dodoro in charge of one of the most important recruiting and drafting periods, possibly the most important ever and we're linked to Caldwell, Dow and O'Brien (because they're former high picks).

Not exactly, for me proper process is, if you know they are the best then you hire them. He's been football boss for 9 grand finals in 23 years, 6wins. Nobody else weve been hiring has those sorts of runs on the board.

On that basis why wouldn't you hire Leigh Matthews or Kevin Sheedy as coach?

I'm not saying that Balme isn't good at what he does, but you have to ensure the fit is correct.

Not exactly, for me proper process is, if you know they are the best then you hire them. He's been football boss for 9 grand finals in 23 years, 6wins. Nobody else weve been hiring has those sorts of runs on the board.

Worsfold had plenty of runs on the board for the time period we brought him in too.

I just think, either there's a proper process or there's not. Picking and choosing who the process applies to is the same as not having a process.

As it stands the board the executive are largely made up of the people who survived the supplements saga.

They've appointed 3 coaches in a short period of time, not even pretending to go through a real recruitment process. They approved Richardson's succession plan as they are the one who ultimately appoint the coach / ratify the decision.

We've chased a comeback story for 4 years now and made some appalling football decisions in the process. A lot of which had to go high enough up the chain to be ticked off by the most senior people. The stupid contracts to Hurley, Hooker and Heppell, trading ourselves out of the first round 3 years in a row getting sucked into the potential of 2017.

All of the people who have landed us in this position are at the club seemingly conducting reviews of themselves. They've scapegoated Worsfold and now Richardson. It is not at all clear to me what the long-term strategic planning that has led us to this point, I would say is close to our lowest ebb (even if there is potential for a significant and quick rebound), had to do with the scapegoats.

None of the executive or the board are fit to stay in their positions. Brasher has been sucked in once. I suspect Sheedy and Dodoro have probably done a number on him and our expectations at this point are anything but rebuild. He's refused to utter the words to this point. We've now left Dodoro in charge of one of the most important recruiting and drafting periods, possibly the most important ever and we're linked to Caldwell, Dow and O'Brien (because they're former high picks).

Eh I think a lot of this is you speculating to be honest.

Brasher has had the reins for what, a month? In that time he's given two lengthy public facing addresses that actually mention a number of our concerns, Richardson has been turfed out, assistant coaches (including Harvey, a quintessential EFC person) have been turned over or moved on, he's mentioned Dodoro working closely with other people through this draft period, spoke directly to Zac Merrett when there was rumours around whether he was interested in leaving.

The direction the club was on is clearly changing, and I think we have little choice but to give Brasher & Rutten some time to see where that takes us.

We're upset about the status quo, but then getting upset about changing the status quo?

Wasn't Brasher also the one who started asking questions that ended up discovering the missing money that was going to Dank et al?

We're also talking about a significant period of time pre-saga, pre-Brasher, of being a middling side on-field.

How is Xavier still there? Selected Woosha and Richardson. Amazing how the line of responsibility always seem to stop short of Essendon people.

Didn't Brasher say at some point that Xavier would have less (or nothing) to do with the football side of things in his first speech?

In terms of financial position / memberships / sponsorships he's actually done quite well.

On that basis why wouldn't you hire Leigh Matthews or Kevin Sheedy as coach?

I'm not saying that Balme isn't good at what he does, but you have to ensure the fit is correct.

Im talking about the actual best at the time. Not the best from 20 years ago.

Worsfold had plenty of runs on the board for the time period we brought him in too.

I just think, either there's a proper process or there's not. Picking and choosing who the process applies to is the same as not having a process.

Runs on the board is not the same as the best. Once Clarkson said no it should have been interview process.

This year would have been perfect for interviews except.......

Essendon Football Club can confirm general manager of football Dan Richardson will depart the club after three seasons with the Bombers.

CEO Xavier Campbell explained the club’s decision to not renew Richardson’s contract as its internal football review continues.

“Dan is a good football person and has played an important role in the development of our senior coach Ben Rutten and has helped attract a number of talented people to the club,” Campbell said.

“But the decision to not offer Dan a new contract was made following ongoing discussions about football performance and the future direction of our football program, and we believe now is the right time to make this change in leadership.

“The football department requires an experienced leader to oversee the next critical stage of our football program’s growth and provide important support to Ben Rutten, who we have great confidence in as our senior coach.

“We wish Dan nothing but the best for the future and thank him for his contribution since joining the club at the end of the 2017 season.”

The outgoing Richardson made the following comment.

“I believe the current coaches and football staff that have been brought into the club over the last three years puts this football program on the right path for future success and I wish them all the best,” Richardson said.

The club will undergo a targeted and thorough search to find an experienced and senior replacement for this critical football leadership role.

The internal football review is ongoing and being led by President Paul Brasher and football governance director Sean Wellman.

The club will provide an update on this process upon its completion towards the back end of November, including identifying and addressing any shortcomings from the 2020 season and establishing key insights and learnings to be actioned for 2021.

Is Xaviers head on the chopping block next? he's hired and fired people that have not worked, or does he get 1 last chance to make Rutten decision work?
Probably depends, if he's been making decisions without a lot of oversight due to the absence of the president then he probably just gets told to stay in his lane and let the governors do the governing.

He's good at being a CEO. Not so much if he's also President and GM-Football.

He knows the game as well as anyone but I do not see in him someone to oversee a whole footy operation.

He seems more suited to individually mentoring players and coaching day-to-day.

Depends what you want out of the role.
If its your standard reporting point who just guides the different departments and ticks things off I reckon any standard experienced football person would do if I'm being brutally honest.

If you want an actual GM who sets the goals of the department from a recruiting, game style sense and effectively sits above the coach as the person in charge of how we do on field I reckon you target a Ross Lyon, Clarkson or Paul Roos.

Probably depends, if he's been making decisions without a lot of oversight due to the absence of the president then he probably just gets told to stay in his lane and let the governors do the governing.

He's good at being a CEO. Not so much if he's also President and GM-Football.

If he's being head hunted by the AFL for his commercial talent we would be foolish to get rid of him, just redefine his role to him and tell him to keep in his lane as you said. The biggest criticism of this club often is that we focus too much off field and not the business of football. It would be stupid to burn that down as we attempt to rebuild our presence as a club on field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts.
Not an ideal time to part with your football GM but if he can not play well with the list manager then you have an issue.
In three years you can only really do maybe 60% of things you need to do in building something new and different so it is not a long time but .....
If you are the football boss and at the end of your third year the club has had a bit of an implosion then you have to be held responsible.
He was also the one of the people who was responsible for giving Worsfold and extension and the coaching change over which did not really work in the end.
All I hope is that after this draft period Dodoro is reviewed and at the minimum put on notice as there are elements that smack of it being an "Essendon" decision.

Right now only Brasher was on the board in 2012 when the saga was in swing. It was his second year and he was actually the one who smelt a rat as far as Dank and his unlimited funds go. All the other directors have only come on board between 2015 and 2019 until Sheedy this year.

My thoughts.
Not an ideal time to part with your football GM but if he can not play well with the list manager then you have an issue.
In three years you can only really do maybe 60% of things you need to do in building something new and different so it is not a long time but .....
If you are the football boss and at the end of your third year the club has had a bit of an implosion then you have to be held responsible.
He was also the one of the people who was responsible for giving Worsfold and extension and the coaching change over which did not really work in the end.
All I hope is that after this draft period Dodoro is reviewed and at the minimum put on notice as there are elements that smack of it being an "Essendon" decision.
Wouldn’t be surprised if we parted ways with dodoro after the draft this year

Is Richo contracted or might this have simply been an opportune time to change direction rather than signing a new contract?
The Essendon Statement about it seemed to indicate not renewing his contract.

Essendon Football Club can confirm general manager of football Dan Richardson will depart the club after three seasons with the Bombers.

CEO Xavier Campbell explained the club’s decision to not renew Richardson’s contract as its internal football review continues.

“Dan is a good football person and has played an important role in the development of our senior coach Ben Rutten and has helped attract a number of talented people to the club,” Campbell said.

“But the decision to not offer Dan a new contract was made following ongoing discussions about football performance and the future direction of our football program, and we believe now is the right time to make this change in leadership.

I called this a couple of weeks ago - Sheeds is deadset living out a fantasy.

His mentoring of Rutten will in fact be white anting and Rutten, having foolishly taken the false advice, will fail miserably plunging the club into even greater crisis.

Who can we turn to? Who can lead us out of the wilderness the Board wonders.....ever so slowly Sheeds raises his hand. “ I have an idea, now just hear me out....”

All of this is just leading up to that moment.
It’s begun...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back