VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, willing to dismiss his opinion now. Calls a bloke he almost certainly wouldn't have seen live a spud but wants to keep a key forward who couldn't kick a goal for his last 6 games.

Have I missed something? Has he officially unretired?
He's going to Mal Michael us?!

I love watching smackernan. Hope he does get a gig and play some more games.

Have I missed something? Has he officially unretired?
Essendon didn't offer him a contract. The telecast in R18 jumped the shark when they saw him address the playing group after the game. That's where the 'he retired' thing came from.

When Essendon got around to doing a proper statement on the club website, it was that he wasn't offered a contract (alongside four others).

Now St Kilda are apparently sniffing around šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø If he'd retired he would have to be traded but as a delisted player he can move as a free agent.

Essendon didn't offer him a contract. The telecast in R18 jumped the shark when they saw him address the playing group after the game. That's where the 'he retired' thing came from.

When Essendon got around to doing a proper statement on the club website, it was that he wasn't offered a contract (alongside four others).

Now St Kilda are apparently sniffing around šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø If he'd retired he would have to be traded but as a delisted player he can move as a free agent.
Surely the delisting process takes into account whether other clubs might be interested?

In a year where points for NGA may be important this feels like a minor fail to assume noone would wanna trade Smack in for a 4th.

Surely the delisting process takes into account whether other clubs might be interested?

In a year where points for NGA may be important this feels like a minor fail to assume noone would wanna trade Smack in for a 4th.
He was a free agent regardless, we were never going to be able to trade him.

Go well Smack!

And as I've already posted elsewhere...

He was already an Unrestricted Free Agent because he had already been delisted twice prior to 2020 (once by Adelaide years ago, and once by Essendon when they re-rookied him a couple of years ago).

Thanks to that, he qualified for lifetime free agency when that came in last year, and was an Unrestricted Free Agent the moment he came out of contract, whether Essendon chose to delist him or not.

So while he was not offered another contract, he is not a "Delisted Free Agent". Delisted players are still tied to their clubs until the end of the trade period, they don't qualify for free agency until after the next list lodgement date has passed.

The proof for this is that AFL House specifically said he is an Unrestricted Free Agent, and he has moved within the Unrestricted Free Agency period.

DFAs also don't qualify for any compensation at all, whereas this one did qualify to be assessed for compensation, but didn't get any because his contract offer is too low to qualify for Band 5 (which are the rules that apply to a UFA).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol you don't have to tell me, I'm not a fan either. Although I'm not as adamant or noisy about it
Meh. I like being adamant, they're a great band, plus they're noisy too.

Okay I'll show myself out

We delist him and he immediately gets picked up by another club. One going considerably better than us, no less.

Heā€™s plenty good enough. St Kilda know better than you do.
He's going to be 30, never had a 20 goal year, and averages less than a goal a game. He didn't kick a goal in his last 6 games.

He's no good.

So why did the Saints pick him up?
Why did Essendon pick up Jacob Townsend? Why did Hawthorne give Kyle Hartigan a 3 year contract? Why does GWS redraft Sam Reid every other year? Because clubs make poor list management decisions all the time.

But sure, a 30 year old key forward who hasn't even cracked the 100 games mark in 12 years of being on a list and averages 0.8 goals/game is a good player. I get flak for it but at the end of the day, his record proves me right and you wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back