VFL Game Day Round 4: Essendon vs Casey @ The Hangar, 2pm Sun 16 April 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I kinda wonder if the goal for Bryan should be to become the main ruck and have Draper be the resting ruck in the forwardline who chops him out. Sammy's got enough x-factor as a forward that he can probably make up for any defincies Bryan may have when he's not rucking.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would be my goal 👍

I kinda wonder if the goal for Bryan should be to become the main ruck and have Draper be the resting ruck in the forwardline who chops him out. Sammy's got enough x-factor as a forward that he can probably make up for any defincies Bryan may have when he's not rucking.

Personally, there is no reason Bryan can't basically become what Phillips was yesterday.

On talent, Bryan has Flip done for skill and upside.
However, Phillips has the guile and the mature body. Structurally, if we can have Bryan develop to share the ruck/forward like Draper and Phillips did yesterday it could be a massive advantage.

Last edited:

What is working now is Draper doing a mix of ruck and going forward. Bryan still needs some percentage of being able to do a role somewhere else when Draper is in the ruck.

edit: I'm not sure how Draper would go as a perma forward. What was working against Grundy was burning him back the other way (working in tandem with Flipper). He might not be able to find that space with someone permanently minding him.
I'm not suggesting Draper ever be a permanent forward. Just that he plays back-up like Phillips has been doing for him.

The knock on Bryan is forward craft. Draper's good at that. So you rotate them through the ruck and forwardline in a way that maximizes their strengths and hides their weaknesses.

Was hoping to see a bit more from Tex at this stage. Has really struggled to get involved.

Munkara has been better this week.

Walla quiet stats wise but has been working up and down the ground a bit more this week. A lot less walking.

Was hoping to see a bit more from Tex at this stage. Has really struggled to get involved.

Munkara has been better this week.

Walla quiet stats wise but has been working up and down the ground a bit more this week. A lot less walking.
I must have been very lucky. Tuned in for a quarter and saw Walla jog, and at one point sprint. Looks very far from ready.

I would like to see them play Tippa on the back flank for a couple of weeks to bring him into the game a bit more and to fast track his fitness base. I don’t want him playing that position in the one’s but he used to do quite well there before he played AFL.

I must have been very lucky. Tuned in for a quarter and saw Walla jog, and at one point sprint. Looks very far from ready.
Never said ready . Just less walking compared to last week 👍

Hobbs and Bryan best on for the EFC listed players.
Hobbs - 30 disposals, 9 clearances
Bryan 16 disposals (most in the first half maybe 13?), backing it up with 31 hitouts.
Voss kicked the first goal of the game, then another one later on.

Last quarter we got ran over the top, despite kicking to the scoring end.

Munkara 7 disposals
AMT - 9 disposals but all were class.
Wanganeed - was quiet and didn't handle the conditions very well.
D'Ambrosio - also quiet.

Hobbs and Bryan best on for the EFC listed players.
Hobbs - 30 disposals, 9 clearances
Bryan 16 disposals (most in the first half maybe 13?), backing it up with 31 hitouts.
Voss kicked the first goal of the game, then another one later on.

Last quarter we got ran over the top, despite kicking to the scoring end.

Munkara 7 disposals
AMT - 9 disposals but all were class.
Wanganeed - was quiet and didn't handle the conditions very well.
D'Ambrosio - also quiet.
That’s pleasing from Bryan. What I seen he was winning some ground balls as well.

It was a scrappy game but I did notice Alistair Lord popping up a few times. Seemed to be prolific. Does anyone know how many disposals he ended up with?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

21 disposals, was on the end of a few of those early handball chains out of defense. Do you think he'll make it?
Thanks I appreciate that. That’s not too bad. I think he could make a running half back flanker. He seems to have good burst away leg speed and gets reasonable distance out of his kicks.

Thanks I appreciate that. That’s not too bad. I think he could make a running half back flanker. He seems to have good burst away leg speed and gets reasonable distance out of his kicks.
There is an app called Footy Live (ie not the main AFL app) that gives you live VFL scores and player and team stats. I use that app for AFL games too as is more user friendly to look at.

There is an app called Footy Live (ie not the main AFL app) that gives you live VFL scores and player and team stats. I use that app for AFL games too as is more user friendly to look at.
Thanks I just installed it 👍🏻.

Windy day with passing showers. Not a game that reached any real heights. We turned over too much footy and held on for a while but a run of 4 goals to Casey from the 18 minute mark of the third quarter put the game out of reach. One of the main difference was they had a good target in Josh Schache while we struggled to find a target inside 50.

Hobbs was Hobbs. Great work rate . 9 clearances . Was our best. I will chip him on one thing. Now people say he is a bad kick but it is not he is a bad kick but more the fact he sometimes tries to bite of passes Darren Jarman would struggle to hit. He had one turnover that cost a goal where he tried to thread the needle through the corridor . He needs to know his limits. Generally if he has a 30 to 40 meter option he is very reliable. He is ready to go whenever he gets his chance. Playing big midfield minutes.

Hayes. Coming along well. Reads the ball well and can get involved a bit. Just waiting for the body to fill out a little. So far so good.

Bryan. First game back and he was very good. Easily won the hit outs against former Saint Rookie Jack Bell. Had 6 marks and 17 possessions. Played pretty much all ruck with limited forward. Looks to be back in the groove straight away.

Lord . Much better game. Took the game on a bit more and used his speed and run. Had 21 touches in the end and defended okay.

Montgomerie . Another solid game although conditions where against him as far as intercept marking goes. Looks a handy player so far.

Voss. Not a great day out for Vossy. Sprayed a couple of set shots and got swamped in the pack a lot of the time. Was not a good day for him him to shine as delivery was all over the place with the wind so leading up at the footy was difficult.

Wanganeen. Would like to see him doing more really. Is just struggling to get into the game and have any impact.

D'Ambrosio . Not a great day out for Mass. Found a bit of the footy but had a hard day at the office defense wise. He really struggles as far as finding his opponent or an opponent as he gets stuck ball watching so his defensive actions are generally from his second and third efforts. It is great that he makes multiple efforts but he needs to transition a lot quicker or he will need a new position to play.

Walla . Was just a game but he did manage to get around the ground a bit more and their was less walking . Still did a few good things. Building. Body language has been good and he looks like he is enjoying it despite him running out of steam at times. Passed it to Munkara a few times including the pass to get his first goal.

Munkara. Another little step forward today. Made a couple of tackles. Kicked a goal and had 3 shots at goal. Showed his agility in a tight space a couple of times. Still a long way to go as he build confidence but it was a step in the right direction. Was move involved in the game a bit more.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back