VFL Game Day Round 17: Geelong vs Essendon, Kardinia Park, Sunday 16/07/2023 @ 2:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baldwin was a clear standout - he should go into the seniors if Lav goes out
Voss decent and certainly provides a presence up forward - surely he has more to offer than Weideman..??
Loved McBrides game - maybe he is worth a shot on the list next year?
Tsatas is ready - but dont mind keeping him in the twos to develop and make him hungry
Davey, Tippa and especially Munkara all good

Baldwin was a clear standout - he should go into the seniors if Lav goes out
Voss decent and certainly provides a presence up forward - surely he has more to offer than Weideman..??
Loved McBrides game - maybe he is worth a shot on the list next year?
Tsatas is ready - but dont mind keeping him in the twos to develop and make him hungry
Davey, Tippa and especially Munkara all good
McBride was the one that surprised me as I don't watch a lot pf VFL and hadn't seen a lot of him. He was one of our best I think. Juregnson was the other

From my sporadic TV viewing:

#5 Elijah Tsatas: Looked good but a couple of poor tackling efforts in the first half were costly. Building.
#13 Nik Cox: Only played the first half but was pretty good for me. Would like to see him in next week.
#18 Lewis Hayes: Has put together a good year. Nice hands.
#26 Kaine Baldwin: Get. Him. In. He's a 10 year key defender. Yes his kicking was a little off today but seriously...
#28 Alastair Lord: Kicking was off apart from the sealer. Play him forward rest of the year. He's probably gone but might as well.
#33 Alwyn Davey jr: Probably best on again. Really pushing for a recall.
#38 Rhett Montgomerie: Intercept work was good but missed a few kicks that he should be hitting.
#39 Patrick Voss: felt like an "almost" game to me. Had a few nice efforts though.
#40 Tex Wanganeen: Again I feel like his stat line belied the way he played. Should get a gig soon IMO.
#41 Cian McBride: Best game he's had in defence. Think he still gets cut but he's making a fist of it.
#42 Massimo D'Ambrosio: clearly a cut above VFL level but not sure if he's there at AFL level
#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: He is so close. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets a call up
#45 Anthony Munkara: His pressure was at its best. Felt like a lot more than 7 touches too, every one was dangerous.

Really good win but frustrating that it's taken so long to get there again.

From my sporadic TV viewing:

#5 Elijah Tsatas: Looked good but a couple of poor tackling efforts in the first half were costly. Building.
#13 Nik Cox: Only played the first half but was pretty good for me. Would like to see him in next week.
#18 Lewis Hayes: Has put together a good year. Nice hands.
#26 Kaine Baldwin: Get. Him. In. He's a 10 year key defender. Yes his kicking was a little off today but seriously...
#28 Alastair Lord: Kicking was off apart from the sealer. Play him forward rest of the year. He's probably gone but might as well.
#33 Alwyn Davey jr: Probably best on again. Really pushing for a recall.
#38 Rhett Montgomerie: Intercept work was good but missed a few kicks that he should be hitting.
#39 Patrick Voss: felt like an "almost" game to me. Had a few nice efforts though.
#40 Tex Wanganeen: Again I feel like his stat line belied the way he played. Should get a gig soon IMO.
#41 Cian McBride: Best game he's had in defence. Think he still gets cut but he's making a fist of it.
#42 Massimo D'Ambrosio: clearly a cut above VFL level but not sure if he's there at AFL level
#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: He is so close. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets a call up
#45 Anthony Munkara: His pressure was at its best. Felt like a lot more than 7 touches too, every one was dangerous.

Really good win but frustrating that it's taken so long to get there again.
Does Munkara look like he's developing?

If Lav is out then you have to play Baldwin this week. If they don’t then would expect he’s headed for delisting. TBH he’s earned a shot I think…..wouldn’t play him ahead of any of the three tall defenders but he’s worthy of a game if one of them is missing.

I imagine Cox plays given he was rested for second half.

Davey should be picked - he will energise us. Play him in 2-3 game spurts…he’s due for a run with the seniors.

Tsatas….I dunno. I see the good stuff (really good ability to take possession cleanly at speed). What he does when he gets it isn’t that great though. Lacks the composure to use his power and carry the footy and rushes his disposals. I’m not quite sure what he is….he’s a hybrid inside/outside mid….which sounds great….but not if you’re neither one nor the other to AFL standard. Think of an all-rounder who averages 20 with the bat and 35 with the ball. Not putting a line through him at all, but have some concerns. If I had to choose between him and Bailey Humphrey today for the next ten years…I take Humphrey.

Tippa definitely on the up. 2 more weeks and then inject him I reckon.

If Lav is out then you have to play Baldwin this week. If they don’t then would expect he’s headed for delisting. TBH he’s earned a shot I think…..wouldn’t play him ahead of any of the three tall defenders but he’s worthy of a game if one of them is missing.

I imagine Cox plays given he was rested for second half.

Davey should be picked - he will energise us. Play him in 2-3 game spurts…he’s due for a run with the seniors.

Tsatas….I dunno. I see the good stuff (really good ability to take possession cleanly at speed). What he does when he gets it isn’t that great though. Lacks the composure to use his power and carry the footy and rushes his disposals. I’m not quite sure what he is….he’s a hybrid inside/outside mid….which sounds great….but not if you’re neither one nor the other to AFL standard. Think of an all-rounder who averages 20 with the bat and 35 with the ball. Not putting a line through him at all, but have some concerns. If I had to choose between him and Bailey Humphrey today for the next ten years…I take Humphrey.

Tippa definitely on the up. 2 more weeks and then inject him I reckon.
It's not playing him ahead of them. It's the fact that he actually plays as a key defender which means Ridley and Laverde don't and are released somewhat.

It's not playing him ahead of them. It's the fact that he actually plays as a key defender which means Ridley and Laverde don't and are released somewhat.
I get it….but yeah, I personally wouldn’t play him if all of BZT, Ridley and Lav are available.

As I said, he’s earned an opportunity if someone’s out….but I’m not yet convinced he can play as a genuine AFL level key defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back