VFL Game Day Round 12: Carlton vs Essendon, Princes Park, Sunday 11/06/2023 @ 2:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Baldwin and Bryan the stand outs. Hunter very impressive and looks like a nice kick.

Tsatas was ok but don’t think he did anything that hurt the opposition. But only his second game.

Thought Baldwin and Bryan the stand outs. Hunter very impressive and looks like a nice kick.

Tsatas was ok but don’t think he did anything that hurt the opposition. But only his second game.
For a kid in his second game, it's all about moments for me and he showed a couple of glimpses today that made you sit up and go "who was that?"

A clean pick up at pace in a stoppage, clean as a whistle, another was a stabbed pass into our F50 late in the third iirc. Genuinely makes you excited about what he can be

5. Elijah Tsatas: Looks very smooth at the ground. Was weighting his kicks well, one of our best.
13. Nik Cox: Not a midfielder. Try him forward next week I reckon, Voss needs a change IMO.
18. Lewis Hayes: felt like he was playing a step off his direct opponent. Kicking wobbly.
24. Nick Bryan: Dominant. Not sure he can learn much more as solo ruck in the VFL
26. Kaine Baldwin: BOG again. Was intercepting everything but kicking wasn't his usual standard
28. Alastair Lord: play him forward, has struggled off half back. See if he has something.
33. Alwyn Davey: played really well to 3QT but struggled in the last. Building nicely, keep him playing midfield.
39. Patrick Voss: Struggling. Wouldn't mind seeing him play midfield for a few weeks.
41. Cian McBride: unremarkable game. Kicking was okay. Didn't really notice him tbh.
43. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: Had some highlights but looked gassed in the second half.
49. Jaiden Hunter: Very excited about him. Marked well, kicked well. Needs to add size but still only 22. Can see him playing second half of the year

Felt like we won it at the stoppage most of the day (and the stats at 3QT supported that) but poor kicking and lack of pressure allowed them too much freedom to score from half back. Last quarter it seemed like we were gassed and they were running on top of the ground.
Agree on davey.
Reckon he'll make a good pseudo mid at afl level. Start at HF but work back to support the midfield.

Maybe swap voss and lord and shift some magnets around. Slambrose time for voss?

Baldwin looks a bloody good find as a defender. Strong. And he's generally a good user on his day..

Question for the VFL watchers; how far off a start does Hunter look? What does he need to work on?
Probably a month off. But I'm being conservative. Needs to add size for me.

Question for the VFL watchers; how far off a start does Hunter look? What does he need to work on?
He's getting there. Has very broad shoulders that are pleading for a pre-season in the gym. He's not ready for a full-time gig IMO, but a few games (late in the year) to show him the level would be good.

Gabe251
Jaiden Hunter (1min 32) Highlights

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a question of whether Hunter is as built as he's gonna be, it's can he perform better than Weid.

The answer is... probably.
Yeh as i said wouldnt think so

You dont go from not being good enough to be on a list 10 days ago to being ahead of someone who had 22 scoring shots over a 7 week patch at AFL level overnight

And scott was happy with weid based on post presser

Remove this Banner Ad

Back