VFL Game Day Round 11: Essendon vs North, Hangar, Sunday 04/06/23 @ 1:35 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Norf 2’s looks a little bit better then us at this stage to be honest. Not worlds apart but still better.

Nice to see the big forwards coming into the game. Nice pass by Wanganeen. He’s not that bad of a kick of the footy.

Tom Phillips has been s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't watch the last quarter, but it looks like Tsatas' stats didn't change.

Was he sat down for the final quarter? Or just didn't get near it?

Tex, Baldwin, Hayes, Bryan impressive

Tippa, Cox, Tsatas, Kelly solid considering

Would be happy for Tex to come in for a Snelling if he doesnt fire today

Thoughts on Players:
Bryan: It was good to see him continue his solid form from previous weeks. (19 disp, 32 HO). Good in the middle, and an extra useful body as he finds away to stay involved after the hitout. Was involved in some good linkup play. Just the 2 marks, so contested marking is still an area of focus.
Wanganeen: started like a gun, and was everywhere in the first quarter. Played out of the centre and it seemed to suit him. (20 disposals, 2 goals). This was the first I'd seen of him with midfield minutes, so hopefully can build on this going forward.
Baldwin: was a rock in defense all day. Took a lot of defensive intercept marks and didn't put a foot wrong all day. Until kicking (after a brave intercept) kicked into the man on the mark and cost a goal. (well it was just a fingertipper... but still). 21 disposals and 12 marks.
Munkara: looks like the Coyote strapped to an ACME rocket trying to play chess.. goes so fast and then can't plot enough chess moves ahead to make it all come together.
Tippa: Started in the middle, and was good there. That was never going to last and returned to the more familiar position. Was creative and dynamic as ever and form is building.
Kelly: You couldn't pick him based on today. Commentators said he has been solid. Was terrible in the first quarter, with a clumsy spoil, a dropped chest mark and miss-directed kicks. Worked into the game as it went on, but wasn't good. He kept his AFL standard playing within himself style of game, and got a lot of possessions as the play switched sides out of defense. Looked rusty - and I say this as Cox and Tsatas were more composed after a longer period out.
Cox: played midfield for a large amount of the game. Wasn't as nimble at ground balls but went OK. (21 disp) was involved in the play all day, and was kicking his trademark worm burners.
Voss: Only the one goal (12 disp), but worked hard presenting on the lead all day.
Lord: (10 disposals) was OK. played back.
Tsatas: 17 disposals and a goal. Went off at 3 quarter time after some minor calf cramps. Good first up hitout. NOT a bust. (maybe some running on the other oval in 4th quarter).
Hunter: 7 disp and a goal. Took a while to get into the game. Is a big unit, so hopefully can start getting some marks and goals.
Hayes: 18 disposals - just goes about it and works well with Baldwin.

Thoughts on Players:
Bryan: It was good to see him continue his solid form from previous weeks. (19 disp, 32 HO). Good in the middle, and an extra useful body as he finds away to stay involved after the hitout. Was involved in some good linkup play. Just the 2 marks, so contested marking is still an area of focus.
Wanganeen: started like a gun, and was everywhere in the first quarter. Played out of the centre and it seemed to suit him. (20 disposals, 2 goals). This was the first I'd seen of him with midfield minutes, so hopefully can build on this going forward.
Baldwin: was a rock in defense all day. Took a lot of defensive intercept marks and didn't put a foot wrong all day. Until kicking (after a brave intercept) kicked into the man on the mark and cost a goal. (well it was just a fingertipper... but still). 21 disposals and 12 marks.
Munkara: looks like the Coyote strapped to an ACME rocket trying to play chess.. goes so fast and then can't plot enough chess moves ahead to make it all come together.
Tippa: Started in the middle, and was good there. That was never going to last and returned to the more familiar position. Was creative and dynamic as ever and form is building.
Kelly: You couldn't pick him based on today. Commentators said he has been solid. Was terrible in the first quarter, with a clumsy spoil, a dropped chest mark and miss-directed kicks. Worked into the game as it went on, but wasn't good. He kept his AFL standard playing within himself style of game, and got a lot of possessions as the play switched sides out of defense. Looked rusty - and I say this as Cox and Tsatas were more composed after a longer period out.
Cox: played midfield for a large amount of the game. Wasn't as nimble at ground balls but went OK. (21 disp) was involved in the play all day, and was kicking his trademark worm burners.
Voss: Only the one goal (12 disp), but worked hard presenting on the lead all day.
Lord: (10 disposals) was OK. played back.
Tsatas: 17 disposals and a goal. Went off at 3 quarter time after some minor calf cramps. Good first up hitout. NOT a bust. (maybe some running on the other oval in 4th quarter).
Hunter: 7 disp and a goal. Took a while to get into the game. Is a big unit, so hopefully can start getting some marks and goals.
Hayes: 18 disposals - just goes about it and works well with Baldwin.
Couldn't disagree more re: Kelly. He was comfortably 2nd bog for us behind Baldwin.

My player assessment:

#5 Elijah Tsatas: Looked excellent. Mostly played wing with a few CBA's, his kicking was on point. See him playing a couple after the bye and then moving into the seniors.
#13 Nik Cox: played a mix of midfield, wing and defence. Kicking was sometimes off and I didn't like his work inside, looked much better in space.
#18 Lewis Hayes: read the play reasonably well but surprised he had as many as he did.
#24 Nick Bryan: Had some really good moments but didn't dominate like he should have against the North rucks.
#26 Kaine Baldwin: clear BOG for mine. Apart from one really costly mistake he was excellent.
#28 Alastair Lord: Showed a lot of intent. Still iffy defensively though.
#29 Jake Kelly: As I said earlier, thought he was 2nd best on. Read the ball well and kicked well for the most part.
#33 Alwyn Davey jr: Drifted in and out of the game, probably needs a few more weeks in here.
#39 Patrick Voss: couldn't find a lot of space to lead into. Think sides are figuring him out a bit now.
#40 Tex Wanganeen: Great start, good finish, but went missing in between. Want to see more of him in the middle.
#41 Cian McBride: Beat Edwards forward and ruck. Still don't see him making it in defence
#43 Walla: Was good in the middle when there and kicked a very nice goal but looked gassed in the last
#45 Anthony Munkara: Had some electric runs. Wouldn't mind him spending time off half back to get his fitness up.
#49 Jaiden Hunter: Struggled with a much more congested forward line compared to the WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back