VFL Game Day Round 17: Geelong vs Essendon, Kardinia Park, Sunday 16/07/2023 @ 2:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

I get it….but yeah, I personally wouldn’t play him if all of BZT, Ridley and Lav are available.

As I said, he’s earned an opportunity if someone’s out….but I’m not yet convinced he can play as a genuine AFL level key defender.
How will we know until he gets an extended run at AFL level? He's dominating VFL.

Short priced to be at port next year. We need to give him a shot.
Yep. Just play him. And Bryan.

I'd rather keep him and miss finals this year if it means winning a flag in 3 years with him there.

yeah geez big call there mate. i reckon we'd all take the flag in 3 years even if cody weightmann is our captain.
What do we get from playing finals this year and crashing in the Elim final again, and then lose two kids dominating VFL because we won't give them an extended run in the seniors?
Yep I’m the same. Who cares about finishing 8th and getting wiped. I’d rather get more games into baldwin, Davey, Bryan and also give tsatas a run.
I have Wanganeen in the same group.

What do we get from playing finals this year and crashing in the Elim final again, and then lose two kids dominating VFL because we won't give them an extended run in the seniors?

I have Wanganeen in the same group.

What’s Wanganeen bring other than being hard at it and the surname Wanganeen?

He's quick and (most of the time) uses it well. I'm ignoring the surname tbh, he's had a very good period in the VFL since the North game and deserves a chance IMO.

#13 Nik Cox: Only played the first half but was pretty good for me. Would like to see him in next week.
#26 Kaine Baldwin: Get. Him. In. He's a 10 year key defender. Yes his kicking was a little off today but seriously...
#33 Alwyn Davey jr: Probably best on again. Really pushing for a recall.
#40 Tex Wanganeen: Again I feel like his stat line belied the way he played. Should get a gig soon IMO.
#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: He is so close. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets a call up
That's five that sound like they might be in line for a call up, but three are small forwards 🤔

Just don’t see Wanganeen offering more than any of the guys in the seniors. Apart from Baldwin there’s no one knocking the door
From my sporadic TV viewing:

#5 Elijah Tsatas: Looked good but a couple of poor tackling efforts in the first half were costly. Building.
#13 Nik Cox: Only played the first half but was pretty good for me. Would like to see him in next week.
#18 Lewis Hayes: Has put together a good year. Nice hands.
#26 Kaine Baldwin: Get. Him. In. He's a 10 year key defender. Yes his kicking was a little off today but seriously...
#28 Alastair Lord: Kicking was off apart from the sealer. Play him forward rest of the year. He's probably gone but might as well.
#33 Alwyn Davey jr: Probably best on again. Really pushing for a recall.
#38 Rhett Montgomerie: Intercept work was good but missed a few kicks that he should be hitting.
#39 Patrick Voss: felt like an "almost" game to me. Had a few nice efforts though.
#40 Tex Wanganeen: Again I feel like his stat line belied the way he played. Should get a gig soon IMO.
#41 Cian McBride: Best game he's had in defence. Think he still gets cut but he's making a fist of it.
#42 Massimo D'Ambrosio: clearly a cut above VFL level but not sure if he's there at AFL level
#43 Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti: He is so close. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets a call up
#45 Anthony Munkara: His pressure was at its best. Felt like a lot more than 7 touches too, every one was dangerous.

Really good win but frustrating that it's taken so long to get there again.
Must have been very sporadic viewing. Davey best on? Nowhere near it. Cox had zero influence. Voss had a shocker. I’m all for promoting young talent but you’ve got to earn it

Just don’t see Wanganeen offering more than any of the guys in the seniors. Apart from Baldwin there’s no one knocking the door

Must have been very sporadic viewing. Davey best on? Nowhere near it. Cox had zero influence. Voss had a shocker. I’m all for promoting young talent but you’ve got to earn it
Do you have any idea why Cox was pulled off at half time, if not to play seniors next week? Not injured I hope

Do you have any idea why Cox was pulled off at half time, if not to play seniors next week? Not injured I hope
Yeah I don’t think injured as he took a good mark down back just before the siren. Assume a possible in this week. Tsatas played whole game and I think Wanganeen …so don’t think they’ll play Friday after a Sunday game. Maybe with Cox there’s some concern with Dogs height

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's quick and (most of the time) uses it well. I'm ignoring the surname tbh, he's had a very good period in the VFL since the North game and deserves a chance IMO.
Tex has to be close.
We've been in a weird spot. Team was performing pretty well barring flat post-bye game v. freo and the GMBHA abomination.

Latter opens the window to some statement changes by Brad, but i don't think he's that sort of reactionary coach.
But Tex, Baldwin and Tsatas are doing everything right.

i wonder if we assess the last 4 games of the season in light of the next 2.
If we get a win or two from the Dogs & Swans, do we hold pattern and consolidate v. North, WCE and GWS. or do we roll the dice and bring some kids in.

Im itching for Baldwin to play the rest of the season alongside Zerk, Lav and Ridley.

I get it….but yeah, I personally wouldn’t play him if all of BZT, Ridley and Lav are available.

As I said, he’s earned an opportunity if someone’s out….but I’m not yet convinced he can play as a genuine AFL level key defender.
Well there is only one way to find out. He is better than VFL level.

He has been good over the last 4 or so weeks including playing some time in the midfield. He is pretty creative. Has taken him a while to get going but he did have a slow start to pre season. He has ability. It is now about consistent results . I was worried about his early season form but it has turned around. He has skill and he is very creative when he can play through the middle. Some of his efforts got us over the line against the GC a few weeks ago.

He was pulled for load management. Likely the coaches have him in the 22 for Friday that means.
Are we a football side or a transport company. Load management. De loading. Re Loading . :p

Are we a football side or a transport company. Load management. De loading. Re Loading . :p

We’re fitness influencers marketing herbal tea and cute little outfits

He has been good over the last 4 or so weeks including playing some time in the midfield. He is pretty creative. Has taken him a while to get going but he did have a slow start to pre season. He has ability. It is now about consistent results . I was worried about his early season form but it has turned around. He has skill and he is very creative when he can play through the middle. Some of his efforts got us over the line against the GC a few weeks ago.
All that, but also in the couple of AFL games he got last year you could see some smarts, some craft, a couple of steps ahead of the play.

No one knocking on the door?

I'm going to assume you watched neither the AFL (where we lost by 77 points to a team below us on the ladder) nor the VFL game (where 5/6/7 of our better younger guys led us to a win) over the weekend.

No one knocking on the door?

I'm going to assume you watched neither the AFL (where we lost by 77 points to a team below us on the ladder) nor the VFL game (where 5/6/7 of our better younger guys led us to a win) over the weekend.
What a wank. Make it sound like we got flogged by a spud team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back