VFL Game Day Round 18: Williamstown vs Essendon, Point Gellibrand Oval, Friday 20/07/23 @ 7:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the look of the backline, love the look of the forward line but having one AFL listed genuine midfielder going around is pretty grim. I know Shiel and Setters are out which would probably shift magnets around but flankers, flankers, flankers.

Mathematically impossible to make finals now I think but a very frustrating season overall. Need to recruit a ruck this off season

Last edited:

All 4 AFL emergencies named even though 1 will be sub in AFL and at least 2 others at ground. Gonna be a tough game in freezing conditions.

Hotchkin has played 6 games this year in the ruck, he's done alright.
He's okay but I'd prefer someone that's top level.

Probably tells us we need some more midfielders.

2 are on the injury list, Snelling is a genuine midfielder (at state league level) as well, plus I think Guelfi was an inside midfielder in his last season in the WAFL before we grabbed him?

With another preseason in to Davey Jnr I suspect he dislodges a Guelfi or Snelling, plus Wanganeen has been good, AMT might go around again, and the other Davey should be fully fit for preseason and was from memory a very highly regarded small forward. Some genuine smalls pushing the midfielders pretending to be smalls out of the side changes the VFL look substantially.

But yes, we need some genuine mature VFL grade midfielders to support the side.

Let's look at the top 4 in the VFL this year:

Gold Coast have Tsitas, Davies, Hollands, Sharp and Constable as their starters, on top of having Moyle as one of the best young rucks on an AFL list
Werribee have the two time Liston Medalist in Tom Gribble leading them along with Mannagh and Henderson, both high standard footballers.
Brisbane regularly have Robertson, Lyons and Kyle Dunkley in the VFL, along with Fort, who is at the very least a very good VFL ruck.
Box Hill have Morrison, Jai Serong, Ned Long, Cam Mackenzie and Bailey MacDonald as their starters.

That's great midfield depth for the three AFL aligned sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty average so far. Mass has had a lot but wasting it. Didn't use the wind to our advantage (pretty clearly going out way first Q looking at the kick depth).

Wanganeen and Davey quiet so far.

HT thoughts (doing the split screen, VFL on phone):

We are second to the ball. Weideman, Tsatas, Mass are getting plenty but only Weid is using it well. Baldwin and Voss are looking dangerous, Walla looks like he's hoovering everything up.

Need to use the wind in the third.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back