Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
I think you only trade up if you think you can get a generational type player and have targeted him from a long way out - say if Jamarra was on the open market. Even thought Logan will go in the top 3 picks, to me he doesn’t scream generational forward, players that go 5-15 (who didn’t play this year) could be much better players than him. If everyone had played a full season + national champs I’d be much more inclined to trade up for him.

If we trade a combination of picks 6, 7 or 8 it will be for pick 2 AND a second rounder in return (ie North’s future 2nd).

Dodoro will not be parting with 2 x top 8 picks for pick 2 on its own.

The suggestions on Norfs board of 6, 7 AND 8 (or throwing our future first in with two of those) is simply laughable...

Either way, we should end up with a couple/few elite guns, each of which would probably fill a gaping hole in our list. So really, im happy either way. Id just prefer McDonald by virtue of the fact that we have no real premiership caliber key fwd and I don't have faith in either Harry jones or Peter wright to become those players (but more very solid second and third talls respectively), but I do in McDonald and rather we pursued him. Again, either way I think it'll be a good result for the footy club.

was thinking Logan McDONald. so far my strike rate isn't too good though

Call yourself something that references Will Snelling or Dylan Clarke then.

I think you only trade up if you think you can get a generational type player and have targeted him from a long way out - say if Jamarra was on the open market. Even thought Logan will go in the top 3 picks, to me he doesn’t scream generational forward, players that go 5-15 (who didn’t play this year) could be much better players than him. If everyone had played a full season + national champs I’d be much more inclined to trade up for him.
Yeah I don't really see it either. His stats are great, but he doesn't look that athletic, that big and/or strong, doesn't have amazing hands, doesn't have a massive kick. He still could well be a very good player, but from the little I've seen I wouldn't be throwing everything at getting him.

Did we attempt to get Treloar (I think he wanted to go to NSW with his girlfriend). Also did we try for Stephenson?

My whole point with highlighting someone like Parish/Francis or a Dusty is that contrary to what you originally said, having 3 later picks being is not better than 1 or 2 higher picks.

I think if we identify the players we need, we should target them regardless of what pick they are. I look at our list personally and think - Who is our Bont? Who is our Dusty? Who is our Danger? In my opinion I think we'll have a much stronger chance of finding him with picks 1,2,3 than 7,8,9. Particularly looking at someone like Hollands or McDonald.

I have looked and I stand by my point. This is a quick summary. I have looked back 15 years. I also have the advantage of a decent size file with draft notes dating back to 2002 from not only myself but profiles from the recruiters at the club I was involved with.
The players you mentioned.
Bont. Pick 4.
Dusty. Pick 3.
Danger .Pick 10.
The draft Dusty went in Fyfe went at pick 20. Scully went at 1 and could have easily been the player someone would have traded up fog given he was the number 1 elect well before the draft. Trengrove went at two and was very highly regarded as well but a footy injury ended his career.
It is very easy to pick these things in hindsight. You would find very few who would have gone Martin 100% over Scully in that draft.

Then we have KP forwards. You have to go back to 2004 to find a KPF who ended up being a genuine star and that was Roughy at pick 2. Same draft Buddy pick 5. Most drafts did not have a KPF selected in the top 3 but those that did where fails.
Recent better KP players.
Keneddy-4
Hurely - 5
Davis-10
Talia-13
Gunston-29
Darling-26
Joe and Hawk where FS so I left them out.

Also had a look back 15 years to compare pick 1-2-3 to pick 6-10. There is no evidence that you win every time you have one pick in the 1-3 range. You do actually have more chance with 3 picks between 6-10. Yes there have been some big wins like Martin but on the flip side Buddy at 5 , Danger at 10 and Fyfe at 20 shows there are just as many super stars picked outside the top 3.

Right now you are speculating. How much have you seen of these guys ?

Harder to get quality forwards , I can see the thinking in trading up
Last quality forward to go top 3 was Roughy in 2004 and he was not even the best forward in that draft.

Are you guys still taking Kyle Dunkley?

I have looked and I stand by my point. This is a quick summary. I have looked back 15 years. I also have the advantage of a decent size file with draft notes dating back to 2002 from not only myself but profiles from the recruiters at the club I was involved with.
Bont. Pick 4.
Dusty. Pick 3.
Danger .Pick 10.
The draft Dusty went in Fyfe went at pick 20. Scully went at 1 and could have easily been the player someone would have traded up fog given he was the number 1 elect well before the draft. Trengrove went at two and was very highly regarded as well but a footy injury ended his career.
It is very easy to pick these things in hindsight. You would find very few who would have gone Martin 100% over Scully in that draft.

Then we have KP forwards. You have to go back to 2004 to find a KPF who ended up being a genuine star and that was Roughy at pick 2. Same draft Buddy pick 5. Most drafts did not have a KPF selected in the top 3 but those that did where fails.
Keneddy-4
Hurely - 5
Davis-10
Talia-13
Gunston-29
Darling-26

Also had a look back 15 years to compare pick 1-2-3 to pick 6-10. There is no evidence that you win every time you have one pick in the 1-3 range. You do actually have more chance with 3 picks between 6-10. Yes there have been some big wins like Martin but on the flip side Buddy at 5 , Danger at 10 and Fyfe at 20 shows there are just as many super stars picked outside the top 3.

This happens every year, there’s some shiny underage form and everyone thinks it’ll make them the next big thing.

Wasn’t Jack Watts putting out great numbers at U18 level? Patton and Boyd we’re both the next big things. Scully.

Plenty of high picks are busts. We have many holes to fill in our best 22, so more throws at the board with good picks is the way to go.

Are you guys still taking Kyle Dunkley?

I don’t think it was ever a sure thing we were, especially given the lack of clarity the AFL have provided over list sizes.

There has never been any mention of him from the EFC side of things, that was all media driven.

So no idea 🤷🏻‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This happens every year, there’s some shiny underage form and everyone thinks it’ll make them the next big thing.

Wasn’t Jack Watts putting out great numbers at U18 level? Patton and Boyd we’re both the next big things. Scully.

Plenty of high picks are busts. We have many holes to fill in our best 22, so more throws at the board with good picks is the way to go.

Watts is a good example. He was clearly the best under 18 player in his year and 99.9% agreed. Saw him play in the wet at Sandy and he kicked 5 from FF in the first half and had 19 possessions playing center in the second half. What we did not really know was he was going to be as soft as he was.

thoughts on:

Ess F1 -> Dees & Lions F1
7 & Port F3 -> Coll F1 & 16

6 (Reid), 8 (Perkins/Cox), 16 (NO'D)

Coll, Dees, Lions 1st rd picks.

If this additional trade period opens up; Dunkley becomes gettable
Or we hit 2 drafts hard to build depth.

You've got to pick your mark as well. Throw as many darts as you want in 2003, probably just wasting darts.

Bont. Pick 4.
Dusty. Pick 3.
Danger .Pick 10.

Keneddy-4
Hurely - 5
Davis-10
Talia-13
Gunston-29
Darling-26

To be fair Patton wasn’t a busy because of talent, 3 acls killed him. In 2017 he dominated and then did his knee again. Scully was the best winger in the game in ‘16 and ‘17 until he ruined in ankle at the start of 18 and hasn’t been the same since.

thoughts on:

Ess F1 -> Dees & Lions F1
7 & Port F3 -> Coll F1 & 16

6 (Reid), 8 (Perkins/Cox), 16 (NO'D)

Coll, Dees, Lions 1st rd picks.

If this additional trade period opens up; Dunkley becomes gettable
Or we hit 2 drafts hard to build depth.
Don't see Brisbane doing that deal, unless they're absolutely sure we're finishing last.

Second trade period officially not happening according to AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon:

Second trade period officially not happening according to AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon:
The right decision I think, as much as it might have benefited us in this instance.

i can't see us finishing outside the bottom 5.
I can't either, but I figure they'd prefer to have two future first instead of just one.

Welp, time to move Dodo on then.

Last quality forward to go top 3 was Roughy in 2004 and he was not even the best forward in that draft.
Point is it's hard to get them via FA or trade as well, Imagine trying to convince Ben or Max King to come to us.

I think they should have had it. Not to know the list sizes or cap but to expect to finalise plans for the draft seems absolutely crazy. I suppose you can still trade excess picks, though you'd probably get bugger all for them.
Which is why it was suggested, but according to the article clubs felt they could get by without it and it would be unfair since they didn't know it was a possibility at 7.29pm on Thursday when they all took unders or coughed up overs in desperation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back