Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some good rule suggestions to increase the scoring.

- Extend the 6-6-6 rule so that three of the six who nominate for the backline must stay inside the 50M arc, while the other three cannot enter it under any circumstances. The ruckman and one other may enter the defensive arc, but like the basketball rule, they have to move back outside the arc within 30 seconds. And only 4 inside the Arc at any one time.

- Defenders are only allowed to contest in marking duals with one hand - the left or the right hand they elect to compete with is to be nominated to an umpire before the start of each quarter but may be changed from quarter to quarter.

- All free kicks awarded to attackers inside the 50M arc are to be taken from the edge of the goal-square. A penalty inside 50 that would be given as a 50 anywhere else on the ground will mean that the man on the mark cannot be placed on the mark.

- The Full Back has to have a ball and chain attached to one leg.

- Forwards may elect to freely throw the ball without penalty, drop the ball in a tackle or hold on to possession regardless of any tackles that are made on them (same as today for The Bullflogs, Cats and half of Richmond).

- If a defender blinks while the ball is being delivered into the forward line by the opposition it shall be deemed as holding the man and a free kick to the nearest forward will be paid.

- If there is any blurry vision when the score review video is being checked, roll the back/forward vision from the camera that gives the least practical chance to doubt that a goal was not scored, and then rule in favour of the team that has the greatest following to ensure that they have a better chance at making finals and increasing the AFL coffers.

This should enable teams to score more than 3 to 4 goals per game in 2021.

Should help the umpires too as these rules are as clear as day.
How about players with odd numbers wear an eye patch on their left eye and players with even numbers wear their patch over their right eye?

incentivise scoring? you mean like 4 points at the end of a game?
That incentives winning. Not scoring. Two very different things. Incentiving scoring would be handing out a premiership point every time a team reaches 100 (not suggesting this as a serious option, just pointing to a pretty blatant example).

That incentives winning. Not scoring. Two very different things. Incentiving scoring would be handing out a premiership point every time a team reaches 100 (not suggesting this as a serious option, just pointing to a pretty blatant example).
I'd actually like a trial of this. It's very directly there to encourage scoring but also doesn't * with the rules of the game.

I'd actually like a trial of this. It's very directly there to encourage scoring but also doesn't fu** with the rules of the game.
I think it's too soon to be tinkering with the fundamental rules of the game again. I'd much prefer a system like this in place next year than them going ham on certain other aspects.

That said I still think getting the ball into play faster will alleviate some congestion and make it harder to set up defensively. The ruck nominating nonsense is a large reason it takes so long, as is the way players haggle and fight over giving the ball back to the ump or delay giving it to a player after a free. Ball should just be put straight onto the ground, I hate the s**t some blokes/teams get away with.

So stocks in elite users by foot would go up also?

They have ALWAYS been important.

Darren Jarman & everyone, Pritchard & Dunstall, Price & McKenna, Boomer Harvey and every North KPF he player with.

Most can kick long, how many kick long to advantage in the mould of Martin?

More of them when they stop being scrawny endurance athletes and start building up their legs.

Interesting that you mention Martin, did you know he has the highest clanger average in recorded history?

Obviously winning contested ball is the first priority, but once you have it, you're gonna want to put it in the hands of a dynamic kick right?

Preferably.

From a list management perspective we'd do well to address both areas, which could be either one of Hollands ball use, or Phillips inside work i guess.

We're talking about rule changes, not drafting in 2020 mate.

How about you get 1 premiership point for every 10 goals in a game on top of win/draw points

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But would it, Snake? It could also be argued that less interchange would result in a lot of very tired players. That, in turn, could lead to ever more inaccurate kicking for goal. I don’t have any other ideas, though, so...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree with this. Less interchange will just lead to high fatigue levels and sides default to defensive strategies and not be brave with the ball.

the only answer is you have to reduce congestion at stoppages and spread the ground, which can only be achieved by either:
- starting points, a certain amount of players and their opponents need to start in their attacking 50 or half of the ground. Similar to 6/6/6
- less players on ground. Think rugby 7’s.

although it’s a major shift from what I’m used to I could live with 1 - stops the defensive grids which I hate most about the current game

Last edited:
I agree with this. Less interchange will just lead to high fatigue levels and sides default to defensive strategies and not be brave with the ball.

the only answer is you gave to reduce congestion at stoppages and spread the ground, which can only be achieved by either:
- starting points, a certain amount of pkk look players and their opponents need to start in their attacking 50 or half of the ground. Similar to 6/6/6
- less players on ground. Think rugby 7’s.

although it’s a major shift from what I’m used to I could live with 1 - stops the defensive grids which I hate most about the current game

Exactly. The problem is congestion, you have to break congestion. Your Solutions are tough to hear but will make the game better.

Cutting down interchange will simply mean the fittest side wins. Ziebell would get killed in red time of every quarter and his career would be over. Maybe Cunners too. We don’t want to lose these guys. We need to take away the importance of endurance in the game. It adds nothing.

They do that for 120 minutes now!

I’ve always been fond of awarding an extra point for scoring 100 points as a rule.

Or first team to 100 wins - that would really incentivise scoring! One sided game? You get to go home early. Low scoring game? Players are punished for it when the clock just keeps running in the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mess the AFL have created is because they have experimented on the fly in league games.

Put a moratorium on changes in the AFL for a couple of years.

Start the VFL with aligned rules exactly to that of the AFL.

Tweak the f*** out of the rules in the VFL over the first year.

solidify exactly what works from an aesthetics and scoring point of view in the second.

Make the changes back to the AFL at the end of the second year.

Place a subsequent 3 year moratorium of rule changes, 1 to settle and see what coaches do with the rules, then follow the above through the VFL if tweaking is required.

This would in the longer term create a change mechanism so we would no longer get these changes that just seem to happen with reckless abandon and with no understanding of the consequences.

The game will still be able to evolve (it always has) but it will have a method for control of that evolution.

Any key take outs?
I missed the first part - a lot of the positive things we all heard in the member Q&A about the list and also about Stephenson particularly (he and LDU best mods in their draft year).

Biggest key messages for me were that we see the draft this year and next year as the foundation of the list build - and that we are going into draft with an open mind, with everything on the table for negotiation (including picks 2 and 11) if it gets us the result we want.

I missed the first part - a lot of the positive things we all heard in the member Q&A about the list and also about Stephenson particularly (he and LDU best mods in their draft year).

Biggest key messages for me were that we see the draft this year and next year as the foundation of the list build - and that we are going into draft with an open mind, with everything on the table for negotiation (including picks 2 and 11) if it gets us the result we want.

Twinkletoes. Flawed Genius. King Corey. The Filth Wizard dislike this.

Twinkletoes. Flawed Genius. King Corey. The Filth Wizard dislike this.

LDU and JS are going to have to work really hard in the plywood and cardboard mockup of Chaddy Food Court at mod pre-season if they have any chance of cracking the big time. They'll be moderating in the twos (the GWS board) for the foreseeable future otherwise

If they want to increase scoring, just do something that directly incentivises scoring.
One year in juniors, we got a Big Mac voucher for each goal scored. I think Port and the Hawks had a similar deal with Stuart Dew.

I wonder what the club wants for pick 2 - what would be a good deal?

LDU and JS are going to have to work really hard in the plywood and cardboard mockup of Chaddy Food Court at mod pre-season if they have any chance of cracking the big time. They'll be moderating in the twos (the GWS board) for the foreseeable future otherwise

I think TPA's point stands. Here's the rub.

I was hearing a bit of talk from my agent so ended up ringing Chief and yeh, he said we're looking at trades for you, TT, TFW and FG.

I mean I'd just signed a 3 year extension and thought we were all good but realised this forum stuff is big business now.

Now I just want to really pay back the faith at the Mysteries and Paranormal board. We have a really good young group coming through together and to have TT, TFW and FG all get traded with me, it'll be good to have some familiar faces around here. FG is just the sweetest most polite kid I've met in forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back