Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read about Bar-ratt’s serve he gave Eddy.
I expect he is mostly annoyed that Collingwoods wos resulted in NM having a good trade period.
can’t wait for muffin heads reply!
Life just keeps getting better and better.
Link?

Jack Ziebell pushes for return to 20-minute quarters in 2021

Jack Ziebell has urged the AFL to revert to its full-length 20-minute quarters, as the league’s competition committee on Wednesday considers potential rule changes for the 2021 season.

The league meeting, which brings together the AFL’s heavy-hitters, will consider how to find a better balance between attack and defence.

AFL luminaries have urged the league to slash the interchange bench and find ways to reduce congestion in a game that has 50-year levels of low scoring.

North Melbourne captain Ziebell told the Herald Sun the league needed to immediately revert to 20-minute quarters, after 16-minute terms this year.

The AFL is keen to halve the difference, playing 18-minute quarters next year as games often balloon out past 120 minutes in total game time.

But Ziebell says time-on is often when teams can break down the tactics of rival sides.

“This year is so hard to judge from, but I feel like the majority of scoring is done late in quarters,” he said.

“If you shorten the quarters, you are losing 40 per cent of the scoring. You can look at a game with 40 points to 30, but if you let the game on you can get 80 points to 70."

“It’s a tough year to make rash changes, but I would like to see the game go back to normal length. I understand why it changed with short breaks, but to have full-length games, it’s an integral part of our game and something we missed this year.”

He says the AFL should retain its 90 interchanges, adamant the game is not broken.

“I think the interchange should stay the same. I am a traditionalist,” Ziebell said.

“Even the starting positions 6-6-6 was designed to help create space, and you have seen more centre-bounce goals kicked. I like the way the game is played in terms of stoppages.

“I don’t mind the congestion. It brings players in with a different skill set, but if you want to open up the game you will just have quick blokes running around the whole time.”

The league’s competition committee consists of AFL figures and competition heavyweights, including club presidents Eddie McGuire, Colin Carter and Peggy O’Neal, Sydney board member Andrew Ireland, club chief executives Andrew Fagan and Justin Reeves, Brisbane Lions coach Chris Fagan, and players Patrick Dangerfield and Stephen Coniglio.

The committee has already met to consider the 2021 season structure and fixture.

Magpies president McGuire is adamant the league should start in February.

He told Triple M on Tuesday the league should bring forward Round 1 to make room to play up to 28 games.

“It’s why I’ve been pushing we should be starting the footy season in mid-Feb,” he said.

Wait, are they seriously considering getting rid of the 20 minute quarters permanently?

Why? Everything about this season as a spectator SUCKED. Quarters felt way too short, even in the GF it was 16 minutes, its a disgrace.

It never made sense to bring it in the first place, their stupid excuse was 'blah blah covid blah'.

Why is the media always talking about splitting pick 2? Why not pick 1? It seems like they are hell bent on another club landing McDonald other than us. There is every chance the crows will pick him anyway.

The crows need more players than wee do. We have already brought in 4 players, the afl site says we have 6 live draft picks compared to the crows 8? Why not talk about splitting pick 1?

I might be over sensitive about these things but it's as if we're not worthy of a pick 2, we might as well split it.

I get the impression that North are happy to let people know that nothing is off the table as far as we’re concerned. I think that’s a good thing. Why not look around for better angles? There’s a new broom in the club and it’s doing plenty of sweeping. I think most supporters will view that positively.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I get the impression that North are happy to let people know that nothing is off the table as far as we’re concerned. I think that’s a good thing. Why not look around for better angles? There’s a new broom in the club and it’s doing plenty of sweeping. I think most supporters will view that positively.

regardless with live trading it would be silly to do any deal until you have seen adelaides hand. we have live trading so its silly not to take advantage of it.

I can see it now, 32 players in one half of the ground as the ball keeps bobbling away in congestion in someone's forward half. A player burst from the pack, snaps, and kicks a behind. It then takes 45 seconds for 30 odd blokes to sort out where the heck they are supposed to be, all the while the umpires try to hurry them on but they're powerless to call a free kick because there's literally a dozen plus blokes from each team haggling over who goes where.

heck me in the ass I hate the brainstrust at AFL house.

Just. Cap. The. ****ing. Interchange!

If interchange caps existed in his day, Dane Swan wouldn’t have had a career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had some doubts originally, but if you think about it, the perfect tackle should be rewarded. If the tackle locks the opponent with the ball so they can't dispose of it, then tackler deserves the free.

If the player tackled does get a legal kick or handpass out, then they should not be penalised and the tackler must release them straight away (remember, by the current rules, if a tackler holds a player after they release the ball for the extra second so they cannot participate in the next piece of play then they get a free kick and 50m - that's the rule).

If the ball gets knocked free by the act of the tackler then play on (and immediate release required).

If the Footscray player who is tackled throws the ball out in front of them then a free is payed AGAINST them as it is no longer 2017. Same for anybody else.

The biggest issue becomes this: Some negative players like those from Geelong and the Wiggles will sweat on an opponent to take possession so they get the opportunity to tackle and win a cheap free, when they could have possibly competed for the ball. In my opinion, if you give up a chance to take possession you are not entitled to a free for tackling the bloke who had the guts to go for it. But we have umpires who want to make pricks of themselves and do the exaggerated free kick motion for holding the ball (Chamberlain is one). So anything sensible is doomed.
No effin way. Rewarding the player who goes and gets the ball is a central tenet of the game. Your last paragraph highlights why this is a terrible idea and even worse to umpire.

I can see it now, 32 players in one half of the ground as the ball keeps bobbling away in congestion in someone's forward half. A player burst from the pack, snaps, and kicks a behind. It then takes 45 seconds for 30 odd blokes to sort out where the fu** they are supposed to be, all the while the umpires try to hurry them on but they're powerless to call a free kick because there's literally a dozen plus blokes from each team haggling over who goes where.

fu** me in the ass I hate the brainstrust at AFL house.
And as soon as one team sees the other out of position, particularly with the ball in their forward half, they'll push the ball out towards the boundary to force a throw in, gaining the free...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back