Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The stats may say our stoppages are okay. But I think most supporters would agree we have struggled in that area and struggled to use it to our advantage.

Honestly i'm not sure about that.

Stats aside, when I watch us my interpretation is we actually get pretty good clearances...I can vividly recall stoppages including centre ones where we get a clear break with some run out of the stoppage...we kick it I50 and usually it doesn't end up in a score. That has more to do with forward/mid connection, forward set ups and execution than the stoppage itself.

Yes a lot of our stoppage wins are hack kicks forward...but look closely at all the top teams and many of their clearances are the same...the key is having good set ups and players ahead of the ball to win the next contest to turn that clearance into a score. That's something we've struggled at more than stoppages imo.

Like Arr0w said, I think having better, faster runners and more skillful executors by foot around the stoppages will make the biggest difference for us.

Not making anything up. It's our set-ups.
We get drawn to the ball, so that our players are under pressure and often flat-footed. So we can win the clearance, but the quality is poor. Surely you acknowledge that while we get a lot of inside 50s, our conversion is poor?

However our opposition, while they might win less clearances than us, when they do it's often to a player in space and on the move.

I think our stoppage set-ups can take a large part of the blame for both us getting scored against in 5 goal + runs, and not being able to score when we are dominating parts of the game.

My personal take is that our lack of run was more to blame than stoppage set ups...at times we just looked really slow around stoppages and through the midfield and the opposition would waltz away with little defensive pressure...not surprising at times with Cripps/Kennedy/Setterfield in there. Need more balanced mids and more speed.

As for not scoring in those periods, again I felt the bigger issue was poor forward/mid connection, forward set ups, running power and execution rather than stoppage set ups.

My personal take is that our lack of run was more to blame than stoppage set ups...at times we just looked really slow around stoppages and through the midfield and the opposition would waltz away with little defensive pressure...not surprising at times with Cripps/Kennedy/Setterfield in there. Need more balanced mids and more speed.

Surely positioning can take some of the blame, it's not purely our run?

I've sat on a table for a club lunch with him and he's quite affable.

Bodes well for managing up and being second fiddle, but not good if you want a bit of ruthlessness.

Yep, he definitely appears to be quite ruthful...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I like this appointment. Totally. He has background and in teaching. Lower level school footy but with development..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The above is every reason I don"t like the appointment. He has a degree in everything apart from one in winning afl finals

The above is every reason I don"t like the appointment. He has a degree in everything apart from one in winning afl finals
He is in a development role though. Look at all the teachers/educators that have succeeded in the Hawthorn system. Bolton, Fagan that I can think of right off the bat. Jeez again, Michael.

Great appointment, Blues.

In Barker's 13 year playing career, he played in 2 finals series and had a 39% career winning percentage.

In his 14 year coaching career, he's been in 4 finals series and had a 40% winning percentage.

He's been on the winning side of 6 finals during his 27 years in the game.

The Saints were the highest scoring team across the three seasons prior to Barker joining. They were the lowest scoring team during his first year as forwards coach, and third lowest during his two years in the role. They were the third highest scoring team following his departure.

During the decade that Hawks were making finals, their two lowest season tallies were the two seasons that Barker was their forward coach.

We were top 6/8 for least points conceded for the five seasons prior to him taking over as defensive coach. We were bottom 2/3 during his two year stint.

Over the past few years during his tenure as stoppage coach, we're bottom 2 for converting stoppage clearances to points, while also bottom 2 for points conceded from stoppage clearances.

He simply hasn't experienced a level of success in the game that should warrant employing for over a decade.

In Barker's 13 year playing career, he played in 2 finals series and had a 39% career winning percentage.

In his 14 year coaching career, he's been in 4 finals series and had a 40% winning percentage.

The Saints were the highest scoring team across the three seasons prior to Barker joining. They were the lowest scoring team during his first year as forwards coach, and third lowest during his two years in the role. They were the third highest scoring team following his departure.

During the decade that Hawks were making finals, their two lowest season tallies were the two seasons that Barker was their forward coach.

We were top 6/8 for least points conceded for the five seasons prior to him taking over as defensive coach. We were bottom 2/3 during his two year stint.

Over the past few years during his tenure as stoppage coach, we're bottom 2 for converting stoppage clearances to points, while also bottom 2 for points conceded from stoppage clearances.

He simply hasn't experienced a level of success in the game that should warrant employing for over a decade.
How did we rate for stoppages? (Which is what his role is).

The whole anti barker thing appears to be built on the "vibe". Not sure what his % winning as a player has to do with his ability as an assistant coach.

By all means give us factual information as to why he is poor at his job.

Surely being bottom 2 from points conceded from stoppages is a good thing for a stoppage coach?

You are merely stating that the likes of teague and Lloyd as football manager are incompetent for continue to employ someone who in your eyes has proven that they don't have the capacity to do the job.

How did we rate for stoppages? (Which is what his role is).

The whole anti barker thing appears to be built on the "vibe". Not sure what his % winning as a player has to do with his ability as an assistant coach.

By all means give us factual information as to why he is poor at his job.

Surely being bottom 2 from points conceded from stoppages is a good thing for a stoppage coach?

You are merely stating that the likes of teague and Lloyd as football manager are incompetent for continue to employ someone who in your eyes has proven that they don't have the capacity to do the job.
Bottom at stopping scoring from stoppages, and bottom two from getting scores from stoppages, it is not a good thing

Do you get that his lengthy tenure at a s**t club - us, will skew his poor figures even poorerer?

He is in a development role though. Look at all the teachers/educators that have succeeded in the Hawthorn system. Bolton, Fagan that I can think of right off the bat. Jeez again, Michael.

Great appointment, Blues.
Your perspective is contradictory. Bolton didn't succeed when divorced from the influence of Clarkson's winning aura. Fagan at 60 is experienced and has the following people around him that know how to win: starcevich, simon black, clark keating with leigh matthews on the board Our club has no premiership winning experience, apart from Luke Power, at any level of the club. Appointing another coach with no afl playing experience let alone finals winning experience, will not create the right mix Teague requires to become successful.

Do you get that his lengthy tenure at a sh*t club - us, will skew his poor figures even poorerer?
Excluding us, his 17 years in the game has seen similarly limited success.

One person is not going to be the root of success or failure, however I would suspect he would have been poached by now of his impact were that significant, and if it's simply on par with other assistant coaches or prospects, I'd personally favour someone from a successful environment than one who has spent over two decades in unsuccessful environments.

Putting that aside though, I just personally favour rotating assistants once they've imparted all they could possibly teach. You would think that would be the case after a decade, so I'd look to bring in someone that has another perspective to offer, and that may click with players that he may have been unable to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back