news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder why the UFC didn't opt to keep him. 205 is so bloody shallow...

Oh yeah, cutting decent fighters to bring in more DWTNCS scrubs and low level WMMA to afford the next round of dividend payments.

Nemkov, AJ, Corey, Bader is better than Jan, Glover, Santos, Reyes. Bellator catching up slowly overall
uhhhh...

you talking about the same Corey that got wiped by Jan earlier this year?

idk if it's true that Bellator are really catching up. UFC has the up and coming LHWs like Rakic, Prochazka, Jamahal Hill, Magomed Ankalaev, Jimmy Crute etc.

Wonder why the UFC didn't opt to keep him. 205 is so bloody shallow...

Oh yeah, cutting decent fighters to bring in more DWTNCS scrubs and low level WMMA to afford the next round of dividend payments.

Nemkov, AJ, Corey, Bader is better than Jan, Glover, Santos, Reyes. Bellator catching up slowly overall
Haha you'd be joking. Corey Anderson got slept by Blachowitz, and if you're ignoring Jones because hes 'moved' up then you have to include Izzy who's arguably the best mixed martial artist in the world right now.

The young LHW are coming in the UFC, there's some serious talent coming up

Corey was a bad call but he was also #4 and has a win over Glover. Nemkov, Bader and AJ beat Jan, Thiago, Glover and Reyes convincingly.

Amped to see Izzy at 205, hope the size difference isn't too much

Corey was a bad call but he was also #4 and has a win over Glover. Nemkov, Bader and AJ beat Jan, Thiago, Glover and Reyes convincingly.

Amped to see Izzy at 205, hope the size difference isn't too much

Compete hypothetical but I wouldn't agree with that.

Eh not sure about that.

Jan particularly but also Reyes since being defeated by Jan are underrated. People say things like "the UFC light heavyweight champ has a loss on his record to Pat cummings". In reality he's won 8 out of his last 9 with the only loss to an absolute freak in Santos who could flatline any LHW in the world. He outclassed Reyes on the feet and does that to most people. His grappling is also very good.

Hard to know how rumble will return, although at Bellator with what I'll call "less strict drug policies" he is probably a decent chance of returning close to peak.

So, you won't be seeing Yoel at Bellator or PFL apparently.

Bellator specifically said they wouldn't take him, or potentially any of the 60 incoming UFC cuts because they simply don't want to be viewed as 2nd tier to the UFC anymore.

Seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me. Yoel would be the champ almost instantly there at Middleweight, and potentially a 2 weight champ.

So, you won't be seeing Yoel at Bellator or PFL apparently.

Bellator specifically said they wouldn't take him, or potentially any of the 60 incoming UFC cuts because they simply don't want to be viewed as 2nd tier to the UFC anymore.

Seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me. Yoel would be the champ almost instantly there at Middleweight, and potentially a 2 weight champ.
Yes and no, if York becomes champion then everyone points at Bellator and says look that's the place failed UFC fighters go to win.

Yoel would be great for them but I totally understand their logic.

Yes and no, if York becomes champion then everyone points at Bellator and says look that's the place failed UFC fighters go to win.

Yoel would be great for them but I totally understand their logic.
At the same time he is a big star. Not just a good fighter with an interesting style he great in interviews and funny as *. Remember when he kissed like rock hold after knocking him out. I reckon bellator would be mad not to sign him.

At the same time he is a big star. Not just a good fighter with an interesting style he great in interviews and funny as fu**. Remember when he kissed like rock hold after knocking him out. I reckon bellator would be mad not to sign him.

Yeah but you're having a seperate argument, no one is saying he isn't a star and a great sell, Bellator doesn't want to be the graveyard for old UFC fighters.
You can't get rid of that perception if you keep making exceptions

UFC should declare that the winner of Tony vs Oliveira will fight the winner of Conor vs Poirier for the belt.
Dana meeting with Khabib next month, nothing gonna happen till that's put to bed once and for all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliviera vs Khabib would be a cool stylistic matchup for sure.

Don't get me wrong though if Conor v Khabib 2 happens I'm all for it.

Thoughts on Rogan's commentary for the UFC?

On reddit it seems like UFC 256 was the final straw, and I'm happy to see this, because that's how I felt while watching it myself.

As the top reply basically says, the world's 'most popular' podcaster is worth more to the UFC than merely his commentary.

But I think a lot of mma fans would prefer it if Rogan stuck to his fight companions, and let the new guard take over the main gig.

Rogan's fight companions suit him better, and I'm sure a lot of his fans would prefer to listen to that while watching the fight.

You'd think in this day and age there's be a way to make simulcasting easy. A 'press red for Rogan' type of thing.

But on UFC 256 it was like he was caught between trying to do his JRE / companion shtick, and trying to be serious. No man's land.

Rogan and DC were so bad that they brought Anik down to their level, his worst performance since I started watching regularly.

Last edited:
Joe used to be the best. Him on commentary made fights bigger. His voice is synonymous with the sport but now he is downright awful. Screaming "hes hurt" when hes not and "its tight" when its not. Just awful

I think Felder is the best atm. They should throw money at Brian Stann, he was fantastic, though i dont think hed be interested

On reddit it seems like UFC 265 was the final straw, and I'm happy to see this, because that's how I felt while watching it myself.

As the top reply basically says, the world's 'most popular' podcaster is worth more to the UFC than merely his commentary.

But I think a lot of mma fans would prefer it if Rogan stuck to his fight companions, and let the new guard take over the main gig.

Rogan's fight companions suit him better, and I'm sure a lot of his fans would prefer to listen to that while watching the fight.

You'd think in this day and age there's be a way to make simulcasting easy. A press red for Rogan type of thing.

But on UFC 256 it was like he was caught between trying to do his JRE / companion shtick, and trying to be serious. No man's land.

Rogan and DC were so bad that they brought Anik down to their level, his worst performance since I started watching regularly.

I still don't mind him. There's not an over-abundance of good commentators out there. Him with DC annoys me...I think I'm just over DC. There's too much DC atm. I don't even bother with Ariel/DC now. Ariel interviewing just fighters was always great.

I get what you mean with DC. I used to be a fan until I slowly accepted that he is a 100% company man with no shame.

Recently he came out and shat on the upcoming Paul / Mayweather fight, 'won't even watch it', 'not a real fight', bla bla bla.

This was days after he had given a glowing appraisal of the Tyson 'fight'.

And you just know that if Dana was promoting the Paul / Mayweather fight, DC would be talking it up bigtime.

I'm over DC, I'm especially over DC commentating fights, and him and Rogan together on fights is just embarrassing at this point.

Kudos to both of them for what they've achieved, and they both have lots more fame and fortune ahead of them, but it is time for a change.

Joe used to be the best. Him on commentary made fights bigger. His voice is synonymous with the sport but now he is downright awful. Screaming "hes hurt" when hes not and "its tight" when its not. Just awful

I think Felder is the best atm. They should throw money at Brian Stann, he was fantastic, though i dont think hed be interested

Totally forgot about Stann, he was great too. Knowledgable but still spoke to people new to the sport and didn't overcomplicate for the sake of it.

Think he left to do work on his charity for army veterans.

On reddit it seems like UFC 256 was the final straw, and I'm happy to see this, because that's how I felt while watching it myself.

You'd think in this day and age there's be a way to make simulcasting easy. A 'press red for Rogan' type of thing.

You saw my comments early in the 256 thread, was so obvious. They did new fans a disservice on Sunday. 100% bang on here.

Anil usually good but was roped into the blokey Triple M-esque tone of the broadcast.

I understood Rogan being kept while they gave Goldberg the arse, so at least fans still had a familiar voice to the old era. But some of the ex fighters have caught up, and they have decent play by play guys now....he's well past his use by date.

So apparently now Romero is signing with bellator after they said they were not interested. Going into LHW division which I always thought he should have done in the ufc a long time ago but given the amount of title fights he got given at middleweight there was probably never any reason to move up.

So apparently now Romero is signing with bellator after they said they were not interested. Going into LHW division which I always thought he should have done in the ufc a long time ago but given the amount of title fights he got given at middleweight there was probably never any reason to move up.

Wonder if his manager put out feelers for contract $, Bellator intially said nup and Romero is signing for less?

Seemed odd at the time that Bellator weren't keen.

As we're seeing these days, even in AFL managers and organisations are playing funny buggers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back