Roast AFLW Tiresome Debate Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know where you are going with that rubbish but there has been outlets for women to play football for fckg decades the only thing deprived is a top tier national league with a career pathway & it's not like it's been there for men in that regard for that long either.
Women yes - girls no.

Schools didn't have girls teams and clubs didn't underage girls teams. Girls had to stop playing with the boys when they were 13.

And there were bugger all women's teams to play with, they weren't just down the road for most girls.

So for 5 years after 13, it was either play another sport or play no sport at all.

Dingles constant defence of the AFLW is quite bizarre. I know he has daughters, is a kept man and craves likes from Portia, but is that really enough to nail you colours to the mast of something that is truly s**t?

yeah nailed it papa.

I find your constant negativity just as bizarre. I mean I know you crave likes from jumbo and jimmy and you can’t wait to tell your daughters their dreams about sport are s**t and you are the man of the house and the internet but why nail your mast to something so backwards and negative.

Women yes - girls no.

Schools didn't have girls teams and clubs didn't underage girls teams. Girls had to stop playing with the boys when they were 13.

And there were bugger all women's teams to play with, they weren't just down the road for most girls.

So for 5 years after 13, it was either play another sport or play no sport at all.

Thanks for being patient mate

Yea I haven't been negative on AFLW at all I mean all I've intimated is it didn't just fall out of the sky and there has been outlets to play football but carry on with the yOu MiSoGyNiSt! cracks by all means.

Women yes - girls no.

There were two girls in my primary school footy team from memory it's all easy in theory but hard to create teams, clubs & competitions in those age brackets in the burbs when participation/interest was that low.

There were two girls in my primary school footy team from memory it's all easy in theory but hard to create teams, clubs & competitions in those age brackets in the burbs when participation/interest was that low.
You gotta encourage the girls and the state leagues had to do something about it.

When the AFL starting pushing Auskick from about 1998 (that's when I remember it was being launched and pushed in Sydney by AFL NSW/ACT) with a 6 week program, form very early days, 1/3rd of the participants were girls and the ratios were similar around the rest of the country. It pretty much is 50/50 these days.

If the infrastructure was there, plus the encouragement, the girls would have participated in decent numbers.

From 2006 WAFC Annual Report. It's only half a page of the report, but the SANFL had nothing like this, as they made no commitment until about 2012 to women's footy.

1584011214626.png

You gotta encourage the girls and the state leagues had to do something about it.

When the AFL starting pushing Auskick from about 1998 (that's when I remember it was being launched and pushed in Sydney by AFL NSW/ACT) with a 6 week program, form very early days, 1/3rd of the participants were girls and the ratios were similar around the rest of the country. It pretty much is 50/50 these days.

If the infrastructure was there, plus the encouragement, the girls would have participated in decent numbers.

From 2006 WAFC Annual Report. It's only half a page of the report, but the SANFL had nothing like this, as they made no commitment until about 2012 to women's footy.

View attachment 838312
Yea the encouragement is there now I just don't remember hordes of girls in tears they couldn't play after primary school forcing change, for local footy clubs running on the smell of an oily rag it would've been hard to commit too before more recent times.

Am I the only one that doesn't give a flying fu** about aflw

No you are not the only one, its complete garbage, but the money gravy train that it provides the club is something we are missing out on. Government's are falling over themselves to do facility upgrades in the name of women's sport and the AFL have positioned themselves to take an uneven and undeserved chunk of it. Watch the Crows/SANFL further benefit from this in the upgrades of Thebarton Oval. For that reason it is a priority.

That's why building financial strength is the goal; the means is up to Richo. China is a potential method to get there, but hey if he manages to renegotiate the stadium deal to something more equitable then all power to him.

Never watched a minute of AFLW myself but without a team we risk alienating 50% of potential South Australians supporters and members; it's an enormous concern. The reasons given for not having an AFLW team were resource-based (all our resources were focussed on China, we didn't have the suitable setup at Alberton etc.).

If we have an AFLW team then it's a sign that we've partially fixed those issues so I'd still place it at the top of MR's agenda.

I'm not interested in AFLW but I agree with you. I just don't think it is something to measure Richardson by because it is going to happen anyway and I won't be measuring our ceo on the women's win-loss ratio either.

I'm not interested in AFLW but I agree with you. I just don't think it is something to measure Richardson by because it is going to happen anyway and I won't be measuring our ceo on the women's win-loss ratio either.
99.9% aren't going to measure on our AFLW win-loss ratio. It's all about upgrade money and capturing / retaining young female fans. Prior to the AFLW our one clear supporter advantage over Adelaide was feeling more like a family friendly / kid friendly club, given their supporter demographics. Most here have heard personal anecdotes of family or friends with daughters who otherwise support/supported Port going along to Adelaide AFLW games or getting merchandise of.

When we get a team I won't be watching and I'd take one AFL flag in the next 25 years, then get an AFLW side in 2022 and winning the next 25 AFLW flags in a row. That doesn't change it's a glaring hole in our club right now and one that's costing short term and will cost long term unless it's addressed.

99.9% aren't going to measure on our AFLW win-loss ratio. It's all about upgrade money and capturing / retaining young female fans. Prior to the AFLW our one clear supporter advantage over Adelaide was feeling more like a family friendly / kid friendly club, given their supporter demographics. Most here have heard personal anecdotes of family or friends with daughters who otherwise support/supported Port going along to Adelaide AFLW games or getting merchandise of.

When we get a team I won't be watching and I'd take one AFL flag in the next 25 years, then get an AFLW side in 2022 and winning the next 25 AFLW flags in a row. That doesn't change it's a glaring hole in our club right now and one that's costing short term and will cost long term unless it's addressed.

I think the club is wasting it's time trying to build the women's football involvement from the grassroots, if they're being honest about their claims. What's the delay now? The other aflw teams seem to have basically been assembled instantly from wherever they could find quality. The club's initial reasons for delaying was the afl only granting one spot from SA and our business with China.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont watch AFLW, and dont ever feel inclined to. BUT ....If we had a team in the comp wearing our colours & sporting the Port Adelaide name, I daresay I will be drawn to watch it, and probably enjoy it.

A Port Adelaide AFLW premeriship is still a Port Adelaide premiership and I'll still celebrate the **** out of it. Posters above have already outlined the importance of developing an AFLW side regarding upgrade money and fanbase expansion, but I also think it's important to acknowledge how setting up an AFLW team now will be of great benefit 10+ years down the track as it opens up a professional pathway for young female footballers to believe they can play at the highest level for Port.

Once that professional pathway is clear, you'll have many more young girls taking up footy earlier on in their careers around the same age as the boys would and thus you would have encouraged say an extra 10 years of training and development if they had begun playing footy at 8 years old rather than another sport and transitioning to footy in their late teens. That's why the longer we wait to get this set up, the more advantaged other clubs will be as young AFLW players have been developed through their own systems.

In the next half-dozen or so years AFLW is sure to increase exponentially in quality due to the above reasons, more bums will land on seats and the financial benefits will follow. It's about playing the long game, and it's absolutely essential as I know a couple of friends who've turned down supporting Port because they are only interested in female footy at this stage and Port don't have a team. Would be a massive achievement for Richo and one we should be pushing hard for.

I have never watched a full game, maybe 5 minutes, that was enough. It is garbage.
The reality is its relative! Of course if you watch Port & Richmond play off in a cracking Prelim, then sit down and watch an AFLW match, the comparisons are vast.

But tell me if you go and watch your 13 y/o son go play in a grand final match, do you yell, cheer, and support him? Or do you come home and say, "the match was garbage."

Its only garbage if you start comparing it. Now YOU probably watch your sons game, loved seeing him play and enjoy playing, and sat through the whole match. I come along, dont know anyone playing, watch for 5min and walk off saying: "Geez, this match is garbage!" Compared to what? It might actually be the best ever under-14's match played in the history of sports. How do you feel? Do you agree? Or do you feel insulted that I just berated your son's 100% efforts?

Its all relative mate! There is 50% of the population & and a huge % of AFL supporters who love footy, want to play footy, but who have never been given a pathway to have a go. The potential is huge.

You mightn't be a fan, but don't knock or disrespect it. The quicker Port get involved, the better off the club will be ... on many fronts.

The quicker Port get involved, the better off the club will be ... on many fronts.

This bit is right, but the rest of what you have written is complete s**t.

Compared to what? Compared to everything. It is an abysmal standard. Of course your own kids under 12 game is important to you, but it has zero interest to everybody else because it's a 1000 times below the standard most people want to watch. And that's fine, because nobodies dressing it up as something it isn't. It's not being broadcast on TV and it's not shoved down people's throats pretending it's good. Girls/women have as much right to play the game as your under 12 boys do, the standard is about the same and should be treated as such.

AFLW is below A9 B's level.

Have you watched it live? I haven't but a colleague that was playing A1 believed that the better women's teams could beat them, and my head spun. I just couldn't accept it.
After the crows women's team won their first 8 week flag, Abby Holmes appeared on Marngrook and stated that "now we've (crows) got three flags". My first thoughts were, if people of the crows want to accumulate that level of football into a total club count of flags for their club then Port has the right to include its umpteen years of reserves, under 19s, under 18s, under 17s, under 15s flags too because I just don't see the best of the women's games being better than what I remember the old standard of under 17s sanfl.

Have you watched it live? I haven't but a colleague that was playing A1 believed that the better women's teams could beat them, and my head spun. I just couldn't accept it.
After the crows women's team won their first 8 week flag, Abby Holmes appeared on Marngrook and stated that "now we've (crows) got three flags". My first thoughts were, if people of the crows want to accumulate that level of football into a total club count of flags for their club then Port has the right to include its umpteen years of reserves, under 19s, under 18s, under 17s, under 15s flags too because I just don't see the best of the women's games being better than what I remember the old standard of under 17s sanfl.

Your mate was clearly pulling your leg. To relate this to soccer, a game far more suited to women and played by females for far longer, in 2016, the Matildas, ranked 5th in the world, lost 7 nil to the Newcastle Jets Under 16 boys team.

This bit is right, but the rest of what you have written is complete sh*t.

Compared to what? Compared to everything. It is an abysmal standard. Of course your own kids under 12 game is important to you, but it has zero interest to everybody else because it's a 1000 times below the standard most people want to watch. And that's fine, because nobodies dressing it up as something it isn't. It's not being broadcast on TV and it's not shoved down people's throats pretending it's good. Girls/women have as much right to play the game as your under 12 boys do, the standard is about the same and should be treated as such.
Actually, your post is complete crap.

YOU are not being told to watch the game. It is not being marketed as the being of AFL standard, and only an idiot expects it to be.

Fact it is in its infancy and will take many years to become a really good spectacle. But regardless of this, it will still have a good audience because the target group is not closed-minded AFL-watching buffoons, but the millions of women and girls out there and their families, along with some who follow because of love of club.

I am old enough to remember the days of Netball shown on the ABC. I would rather have eaten glass than watch it. Look at the professional quality and skill of a trans-Tasman test now. Immensely watchable.

I could say the same about woman's soccer, a joke when first thrust onto tv, but look at the skill of the Matildas. And please cut the crap about these being different sports, its not about the game, its the principle ... The principle being that if you play hard enough, long enough, keep getting the resources, the backing, quality coaches and facilities, then improvement in quality & skills will come.

Until then keep burying your head in the sand. It might never be your cup of tea, or mine for that matter ... But no one really cares.

Last edited: