Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Infection rates in the over-80s have fallen by 36 per cent this month. Other age groups have seen similar falls.

The biggest drop was recorded in people in their 20s. Rates in that age group have halved.

Prof Harnden said: “The data we have is still is very early because it only reflects approximately three or four weeks of the program and it’s mainly based on the Pfizer vaccine.”

But he said evidence shows it’s better to receive a second dose of a different vaccine than none at all."

I know this was in jest. But in case anyone wondered.

Here is an example of what some of your fellow Australian citizens are experiencing in the UK.

I have had a 14 week and a 2 week lockdown in 2020 and currently in week 4 of my current lockdown that will probably last until Easter. Therefore, I probably have another 8 weeks to go on this one. That will be 28 weeks of lockdown since March last year.

It's boring and frustrating but as long as you can work from home and don't get made redundant it's bearable. I found the first 14 weeks bearable as it was summer and I was working. This one is infinitely harder as it is winter and I have been made redundant.

I last went to the Cinema in February 2020, pub in March 2020 and haven't seen anyone not in my household since December. I've seen my friends about half a dozen times in a year.

Good luck- you can do this.
Yeah mate, it was a tone-deaf joke. Apologies.

I reckon that's true but its still $1k to consolidated revenue if some old mate takes exception to people fishing for an hour or two (and it takes half an hour each way to walk there). Also I wore a mask to get my coffee this morning and I dunno about you blokes but I hated it. Could hardly breathe and every-time I did my sunnies steamed up.
Same here as my sunnies steamed up as well so let's just hope this having to wear masks is short lived!

sunnies steaming is such a first wold issue lol. people legit worked the whole day in them. I feel sorry for the tradies I saw wearing them in this heat.

Yeah mate, it was a tone-deaf joke. Apologies.

No need to apologise. This is a forum where banter and jokes are OK.

Please don’t feel the need to change. I’m not in any way offended.

I just want people to know what some Aussies are going through.

There are so many amazing, considerate people on here who care. You response shows you care.

Don't believe what Macron says. He is frustrated as the French Sanofi vaccine has failed in development. He is under extreme pressure within France as they have had to stop vaccinating in parts of France due to a lack of Astra Zeneca vaccine due to production problems in their Belgian and Dutch factories.

The EU have behaved disgustingly over the last week bullying and implementing clause 16 of the withdrawal agreement placing a hard border across Ireland threatening the Good Friday agreement that drives the fragile peace in Ireland. They did this without even consulting the UK of Ireland.

Luckily, they withdrew this the same night but it has demonstrated all of the worst flaws of the EU. To big, too bureaucratic and too dominated by France and Germany.

They are doing this to the UK who have 100k dead and Ireland who haven't began vaccinating. All at the whim of a petulant EU Commission that were spooked by justified negative sentiment regarding their performance in France and Germany.

Ultimately, what they have done is unify Britain, disenfranchise Ireland and prevent their own citizens being vaccinated. I hope we can sort this out as I want our friends in Ireland and Europe to be safe.
I think more attention needs to be drawn to the disgustingly selfish attitude of the EU over the past couple of weeks. We hear all about the failings of the US, the UK, Brazil and China (for different reasons) throughout the pandemic but the EU has been as bad as any country or group. Too rigid, too bloated and too slow on the draw. Vaccine nationalists should be condemned in the history books, and Macron appears to be one of them.

No need to apologise. This is a forum where banter and jokes are OK.

Please don’t feel the need to change. I’m not in any way offended.

I just want people to know what some Aussies are going through.

There are so many amazing, considerate people on here who care. You response shows you care.
My son is in the same boat as you, started a new job last May and hasn't been into the office yet. Seems to be coping alright, he works from his bedroom, Amazon delivers his supplies, luckily he loves reading and most sports sport so keeps himself amused.*

* edit- amused probably not the right word, maybe keeps himself sane.

My son is in the same boat as you, started a new job last May and hasn't been into the office yet. Seems to be coping alright, he works from his bedroom, Amazon delivers his supplies, luckily he loves reading and most sports sport so keeps himself amused.*

* edit- amused probably not the right word, maybe keeps himself sane.

He is doing really well in a difficult situation by the sounds of it. If he is single and living in a shared property that must be hard? If not, hopefully he is lucky like me as I have a wife, two children and a nice house. My real advantage is that I have a garden about the size of a tennis court, which is huge in UK terms. Just been out there kicking the footy in the mud with my son today!

The highlight of my day is when friends or family call. Escaping into their life is one of the things that keeps me going.

Adversity makes people resilient and appreciative of what they have. He will come out of this a better person. And imagine how awesome it's gonna be when you get to see him!

I think more attention needs to be drawn to the disgustingly selfish attitude of the EU over the past couple of weeks. We hear all about the failings of the US, the UK, Brazil and China (for different reasons) throughout the pandemic but the EU has been as bad as any country or group. Too rigid, too bloated and too slow on the draw. Vaccine nationalists should be condemned in the history books, and Macron appears to be one of them.
The EU pumped billions of dollars into vaccine research and development, they are entitled to have a whinge when contractual obligations aren't met. But they have completely cocked up their response and come off looking pretty bad. I think vaccine nationalism is not really a thing, well it is a thing that most countries are guilty of, you wouldn't stay in govt long if stood by and watched vaccines be exported out of your country when you have shortages and thousands are dying. It's a s**t situation all round but the EU has undoubtedly given up any moral high ground it enjoyed over brexit.

He is doing really well in a difficult situation by the sounds of it. If he is single and living in a shared property that must be hard? If not, hopefully he is lucky like me as I have a wife, two children and a nice house. My real advantage is that I have a garden about the size of a tennis court, which is huge in UK terms. Just been out there kicking the footy in the mud with my son today!

The highlight of my day is when friends or family call. Escaping into their life is one of the things that keeps me going.

Adversity makes people resilient and appreciative of what they have. He will come out of this a better person. And imagine how awesome it's gonna be when you get to see him!
He is in a share house but has plenty of room, he has a friend in Sweden who he visits every few months as he can work from there but that looks like it will be on hold for a while now. As long as he can watch AFL, Premier league, NBA, NFL and can access decent French wine he copes.

The EU pumped billions of dollars into vaccine research and development, they are entitled to have a whinge when contractual obligations aren't met. But they have completely cocked up their response and come off looking pretty bad. I think vaccine nationalism is not really a thing, well it is a thing that most countries are guilty of, you wouldn't stay in govt long if stood by and watched vaccines be exported out of your country when you have shortages and thousands are dying. It's a sh*t situation all round but the EU has undoubtedly given up any moral high ground it enjoyed over brexit.

I totally agree. They had legitimate concerns that Astra Zeneca could supply some of the shortfall from their British plants. It's just the way they went about it. Unfortunately, they have displayed all the behaviours that made people vote to leave.

He is in a share house but has plenty of room, he has a friend in Sweden who he visits every few months as he can work from there but that looks like it will be on hold for a while now. As long as he can watch AFL, Premier league, NBA, NFL and can access decent French wine he copes.

Premier League, A-League, AFL & NFL footy
Australia v India, Sri Lanka v England, Big Bash and the upcoming India v England cricket

are what is keeping me sane.

The French leader Macron was basically spreading disinformation regarding the AstraZeneca vaccine. EU squabbling over the past week or so has been poor to say the least.
EU has always bullied countries that are outside the block.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got to wonder how the concept of social distancing, escapes the minds of so many.

A funeral in Jerusalem yesterday, making a mockery on the Countries ban on large gatherings.

https___prod.static9.net.jpg

A total ............ WTF moment ........... if I have ever seen one.

Same here as my sunnies steamed up as well so let's just hope this having to wear masks is short lived!
It shows how s**t a lot of these masks are. If your glasses are steaming up then it means the air is escaping from the top and not going through the filter. Ie it is not going to be effective and filtering any infection you have.

I bought a one size fits all one from a pharmacy and it is shocking.

Premier League, A-League, AFL & NFL footy
Australia v India, Sri Lanka v England, Big Bash and the upcoming India v England cricket

are what is keeping me sane.
Sport is keeping you sane? Sounds about right for me with or without a pandemic.

"Infection rates in the over-80s have fallen by 36 per cent this month. Other age groups have seen similar falls.

The biggest drop was recorded in people in their 20s. Rates in that age group have halved.

Prof Harnden said: “The data we have is still is very early because it only reflects approximately three or four weeks of the program and it’s mainly based on the Pfizer vaccine.”

But he said evidence shows it’s better to receive a second dose of a different vaccine than none at all."
The biggest drop is people in their 20s, who would presumably be among the lowest vaccination rates?

Wife coughing non-stop this morning and the boss tries to force her to work anyways. Not having a bar of that, thanks. Of course in Vic right now it's likely a cold, that's not the ******* point. Hard to believe how stupid some people are.

Bosses (muh monies! ) and the prevailing Aussie work culture/attitude are really not helpful it this kind of situation.

Nice delay between the test results from yesterday being compiled at 8am and us hearing nothing as the clock moves past 11am.. not like there's a couple million people wanting to know what's happening out there 🙄

The restrictions on exercise interest me.

We have thousands of overweight and obese people in WA, particularly in people aged from 40-65 which could tip them towards being at risk for COVID. Recently I have been on my own weight loss journey although I have mainly used an exercise bike. How does restricting exercise to one hour per day and forcing people to wear a mask while running lead to a better overall health outcome for WA?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back