Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The restrictions on exercise interest me.

We have thousands of overweight and obese people in WA, particularly in people aged from 40-65 which could tip them towards being at risk for COVID. Recently I have been on my own weight loss journey although I have mainly used an exercise bike. How does restricting exercise to one hour per day and forcing people to wear a mask while running lead to a better overall health outcome for WA?
If that was an ongoing policy you would have a point - being that its a temporary policy towards a stated goal.......

i mean theres smoothbrain theories....... this is like its been cut and polished

Given this strain is from the UK and believed to be highly contagious, I find it odd that here in WA and QLD there was really not knock on effect as such... yes its only Tuesday but I have to put my thoughts out there.

Yep, so why a 5 day lockdown do we think? Are we looking at further lock down measures come Friday?
Australia has been kissed on the dick by the fact that covid dies quickly in the heat - and that wave one was in a hot summer

that week in perth was hovering around 40° so it would last absolutely minimum time out of the body

Its a feature of australian management - the inability to see past about 7-14 days

we really have a terrible lack of forethought in australian management - we arent regarded well around the world

Completely agree.

Australia is arguably a kleptocracy where both the public and private sectors are now exceedingly politicised in comparison to any other developed country.

Rather than innovation, business is conducted through buying favours and lobbying to reduce competition.

It creates an environment where global factors and "big picture" thinking can largely be ignored, and has fostered a culture where pushing the boundaries is generally viewed as dangerous and is something that will limit the chances of individual career progression.

As a result we have an economy where entire sectors have ether collapsed, or are on the brink of collapse due to their respective captains' failure to acknowledge and respond to change.

Overseas, we [Australians] are seen as terrific workers who respond well to instruction but are incapable of making strategic decisions. Just look at the paucity of Australians on the boards of international conglomerates, despite the country having the combination of being the 14th largest economy with an English-speaking background.

Completely agree.

Australia is arguably a kleptocracy where both the public and private sectors are now exceedingly politicised in comparison to any other developed country.

Rather than innovation, business is conducted through buying favours and lobbying to reduce competition.

It creates an environment where global factors and "big picture" thinking can largely be ignored, and has fostered a culture where pushing the boundaries is generally viewed as dangerous and is something that will limit the chances of individual career progression.

As a result we have an economy where entire sectors have ether collapsed, or are on the brink of collapse due to their respective captains' failure to acknowledge and respond to change.

Overseas, we [Australians] are seen as terrific workers who respond well to instruction but are incapable of making strategic decisions. Just look at the paucity of Australians on the boards of international conglomerates, despite the country having the combination of being the 14th largest economy with an English-speaking background.
The school exams etc have always been more a test of memory than critical thinking.

Comes through in our workforce

If that was an ongoing policy you would have a point - being that its a temporary policy towards a stated goal.......

i mean theres smoothbrain theories....... this is like its been cut and polished
Heading off topic but why do we as a society put up with so many people being overweight or obese?

Obviously this isn't to the same extent as COVID, but fat people put unnecessary burden on our hospital systems and soak up large amount of public money through medicare and other health subsidies.

Heading off topic but why do we as a society put up with so many people being overweight or obese?

Obviously this isn't to the same extent as COVID, but fat people put unnecessary burden on our hospital systems and soak up large amount of public money through medicare and other health subsidies.
What's your plan, force people into fat camps?

I'm not sure we do accept it. There's been numerous government campaigns over the years targeting healthy eating/lifestyles.

Life? Be in it.

I have also pondered this and can only conclude that the combination of decadence and individualism that we live in allows people to escape the responsibility of their own actions whilst at the same time any added strain to the collective is ignored.

As for a possible solution, punitive measures have only ended up in social backlash and policy failure.

A possible way forward could be to tie-in some basic healthcare indices to a form of universal basic income payment - i.e the healthier you are (and less of a potential burden upon the healthcare system), the greater the amount of total payment you would receive.

It's a dangerous path to tread however, as it is effectively commodifying an individual's lifestyle and could very easily act as a Trojan Horse in the installment of a Chinese-style "social credit" system of evaluating a person's worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because supermarket aisles & roadside vendors packed full of cheap & attractive calories continue to be a great return on investment for real estate tycoons with very deep pockets?

By all means target stressed & unhealthy individuals, I mean we should just expect everybody to outwit large corporations with million dollar advertising budgets, especially with all the free time working people have.

Dont know but we shouldnt.

The food pyramid has a lot to answer for imho

If you're not obese, smoke or abuse alcohol/drugs there's not a lot the medical world can do for you if you become ill.

I prefer to think I'm simply playing the odds

And where do you stop? What about people who drink too much alcohol? Smokers? People who work outside in the sun all day? Dockers supporters? Plenty of people make life choices that aren't necessarily healthy other than eating too much.
Alcohol and cigarettes are taxed accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back