Banter 2021 Off-Topic Chat Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This time last night, I was still getting home from the office. Tonight I've already had dinner and am just sitting back watching the news.

When I was working in Melbourne I was out the door at about 6:45/6:50am and getting home about 6:50/7pm - don't miss doing 12 hour days

Morrison Government have decided to increase Jobseeker by $50 a fortnight - after removing the $150 Covid supplement next month. How generous of them.
This isn’t a partisan one side is bad and the other good remark as both sides of politics have been complicit in not raising dole payments since 1994 but I really do think a lot of people overlook just how expensive some things are.

Pre-covid and post-covid social security costs the tax payer around 200bn dollars. That is 16% of GDP on people out of work, unable to work or now retired. At present on average ~16k per tax payer is going towards this.

That’s a shitload of my money and yours going to people presently not contributing to society, whether they are trying to (most) or not (the minority), are unable to, or deservedly are no longer required to.

Complaining over the loss of a covid supplement is a red herring. It is a supplement for a pandemic that we are now seemingly on the home stretch from. It was always going to be removed.

The economic cost to us all for this pandemic has been large, and rightly we were looked after when it begun. With unemployment stimulus and with rental moratoriums protecting a large portion of those affected. state and fed government grants and tax concessions for businesses. What was it? Over 100bn extra to shield Australia... Yet adding 1.1bn to the already bloated social security system is frowned upon.

Turn it up.

i shouldn’t have to fight the tax department to get a few dollars more in my tax return yet feel sorry for those my tax dollars are paying for.

That said, a more substantial increase to disability support and the interconnected carers support. Access to services, more funds allocated on a macro level and individually to disability pensioners and carers.

A more substantial increase to the age pension.

All for those. Give to those who have done their time contributing to Australia or through disability can no longer contribute. Look after those people handsomely.

This isn’t a partisan one side is bad and the other good remark as both sides of politics have been complicit in not raising dole payments since 1994 but I really do think a lot of people overlook just how expensive some things are.

Pre-covid and post-covid social security costs the tax payer around 200bn dollars. That is 16% of GDP on people out of work, unable to work or now retired. At present on average ~16k per tax payer is going towards this.

That’s a shitload of my money and yours going to people presently not contributing to society, whether they are trying to (most) or not (the minority), are unable to, or deservedly are no longer required to.

Complaining over the loss of a covid supplement is a red herring. It is a supplement for a pandemic that we are now seemingly on the home stretch from. It was always going to be removed.

The economic cost to us all for this pandemic has been large, and rightly we were looked after when it begun. With unemployment stimulus and with rental moratoriums protecting a large portion of those affected. state and fed government grants and tax concessions for businesses. What was it? Over 100bn extra to shield Australia... Yet adding 1.1bn to the already bloated social security system is frowned upon.

Turn it up.

i shouldn’t have to fight the tax department to get a few dollars more in my tax return yet feel sorry for those my tax dollars are paying for.

I agree it is definitely a bi-partisan issue and IMO payments should increase in line with inflation. However, it's frustrating that the payment is a mile below the poverty line. In Australia, Jobseeker is currently $565.70 a fortnight without the Covid supplement for a single adult with no dependents, and will be increasing to $615.70 a fortnight beginning in April, or roughly $44 a day. The poverty line is considered to be $457 A WEEK, or roughly $65 a day.

I don't mind my tax money going to those who generally are struggling - those that are doing the right thing and not abusing the system. I was in a similar situation before I found my current job, so I can relate to their plight. I was unemployed for about 5 years before I found my current job. I was applying for lots of jobs and getting nowhere (even got knocked back a job at the Reject Shop - the US comedian Arj Barker made a joke about something similar at the time - "How would you feel if you got rejected for a job at the Reject Shop?" Can laugh about it now, but didn't find it funny at the time, but I digress). I was fortunate enough to have supportive parents who would pay for my groceries and I would use my then Newstart payments to pay my rent and bills, but not everyone has access to support like that.

That said, a more substantial increase to disability support and the interconnected carers support. Access to services, more funds allocated on a macro level and individually to disability pensioners and carers.

All for those. Give to those who have done their time contributing to Australia or through disability can no longer contribute. Look after those people handsomely.

Couldn't agree more. Also need to be less strict on those applying for this assistance. Will never forget the lady I was speaking to at work once whose daughter had a degenerative eye disorder, and she had applied for a carers pension to look after her daughter as they claimed her daughter wasn't blind enough as she didn't need a guide dog. Don't get me started on those people who are genuinely disabled and Centrelink still claim they are able to work either.

When I was working in Melbourne I was out the door at about 6:45/6:50am and getting home about 6:50/7pm - don't miss doing 12 hour days

Yeah, on Monday night I walked out my front door at 6.30am and got back home just after 7.30pm.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

Self funded retirees can be doing it tuff as well with interest rates now virtually non existent my yearly income has dropped in 6 years from around $50,000 PA to under $10.000,won't be long before I'll be on a part pension something I thought I'd spare the country but now looks unavoidable.

Been reading stories on Twitter about people's horrific experiences about job interviews with people or companies they didn't feel comfortable working for, and how if they bring in the ruling that potential employers can report you if you don't accept a job with them could put vulnerable people in dangerous situations.

Apparently a lot of employers have come out and said they won't be bothering reporting some incidents though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Been reading stories on Twitter about people's horrific experiences about job interviews with people or companies they didn't feel comfortable working for, and how if they bring in the ruling that potential employers can report you if you don't accept a job with them could put vulnerable people in dangerous situations.

Apparently a lot of employers have come out and said they won't be bothering reporting some incidents though.
Yeah I can't see most employers bothering to report it. If they have a heap of applicants, why bother worrying about one who is completely unsuitable.

Yeah I can't see most employers bothering to report it. If they have a heap of applicants, why bother worrying about one who is completely unsuitable.

They wouldn't be reporting the unsuitable ones - it's the ones who are suitable who turn the job offer down that they can report.

Self funded retirees can be doing it tuff as well with interest rates now virtually non existent my yearly income has dropped in 6 years from around $50,000 PA to under $10.000,won't be long before I'll be on a part pension something I thought I'd spare the country but now looks unavoidable.
No doubt and I am not in the group advocating the removal of franking credits benefits.

Assuming you mean ppl interviewing for the Liberal prarty?

Ooooh found a job I should get easy. Before and after school care, 5 hours per day. Paid school holidays.

But do I want to work with kids again so soon, that is the question..

I dont wanna muck them around, it does say "permanent part time"

/not to mention is 25 hours per week enough to live off. I think it will be- just.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree it is definitely a bi-partisan issue and IMO payments should increase in line with inflation. However, it's frustrating that the payment is a mile below the poverty line. In Australia, Jobseeker is currently $565.70 a fortnight without the Covid supplement for a single adult with no dependents, and will be increasing to $615.70 a fortnight beginning in April, or roughly $44 a day. The poverty line is considered to be $457 A WEEK, or roughly $65 a day.

I don't mind my tax money going to those who generally are struggling - those that are doing the right thing and not abusing the system. I was in a similar situation before I found my current job, so I can relate to their plight. I was unemployed for about 5 years before I found my current job. I was applying for lots of jobs and getting nowhere (even got knocked back a job at the Reject Shop - the US comedian Arj Barker made a joke about something similar at the time - "How would you feel if you got rejected for a job at the Reject Shop?" Can laugh about it now, but didn't find it funny at the time, but I digress). I was fortunate enough to have supportive parents who would pay for my groceries and I would use my then Newstart payments to pay my rent and bills, but not everyone has access to support like that.

Couldn't agree more. Also need to be less strict on those applying for this assistance. Will never forget the lady I was speaking to at work once whose daughter had a degenerative eye disorder, and she had applied for a carers pension to look after her daughter as they claimed her daughter wasn't blind enough as she didn't need a guide dog. Don't get me started on those people who are genuinely disabled and Centrelink still claim they are able to work either.
I have no problem paying some extra tax for those on Newstart, and especially for those on the aged pension.
That is just ridiculous what they get paid.

I think I'll go for it.

At least find out the hourly rate, do the calculations (mortgage, bills, food etc) and see how it all stacks up.

Then give them a definitive answer. If I even get an interview, who knows in this climate..

I have no problem paying some extra tax for those on Newstart, and especially for those on the aged pension.
That is just ridiculous what they get paid.

Saw on Twitter those on Newstart get about the same amount of money a week ($308) as federal politicians get daily as a travel allowance ($280). And that is in addition to the pollies' six figure annual salary. Explain to me how that is fair.

I think I'll go for it.

At least find out the hourly rate, do the calculations (mortgage, bills, food etc) and see how it all stacks up.

Then give them a definitive answer. If I even get an interview, who knows in this climate..

Good luck. :)

Saw on Twitter those on Newstart get about the same amount of money a week ($308) as federal politicians get daily as a travel allowance ($280). And that is in addition to the pollies' six figure salary. Explain to me how that is fair.

Winty, dude, they drive around in limos. They are expensive on the upkeep of those.

Ooooh found a job I should get easy. Before and after school care, 5 hours per day. Paid school holidays.

But do I want to work with kids again so soon, that is the question..

I dont wanna muck them around, it does say "permanent part time"

/not to mention is 25 hours per week enough to live off. I think it will be- just.
Go for it - it won't hurt to put in an application and even see what feedback you may get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back