Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We only had the 2 players Lachie Jones who will be a very good player but hasn't adjusted yet running under the ball and just flying for everything won't play rnd 1.
Also young Ollie lord has surprised with his contested marking but won't play this yr I wouldn't think.
One from our neighbours Riley Thilthorpe showed on the wkend why he should of been pick 1 I'm sure Adelaide would of picked him at 1 if the dogs weren't guaranteed to match the bid.
Have been saying for 18mths he is a generational talent.

It was well and truly trending when bolton and balta were tearing up the training track. Trust me on that one.

Obviously because the entire Richmond board use the wrong terminology.

Lore was being polite, however this isn't even up for debate.

The term predates current draft rules to the time when you could draft both 17 and 18 year olds in the national draft.

It was a way of differentiating between bottom and top age players in a draft year in a single eligible pool, like your Scott Pendlebury's and Dan Hanneberry's. Since the raising of the draft age, it's been used to refer to draft eligible and non-eligble players within TAC Cup/Nab League/Championship games.

"Bottom Age" has literally never been uttered in reference to a July-Dec top age DOB player within the football industry, if it has on the Richmond board, then it has been done so incorrectly.

The term predates current draft rules to the time when you could draft both 17 and 18 year olds in the national draft.

It was a way of differentiating between bottom and top age players in a draft year in a single eligible pool, like your Scott Pendlebury's and Dan Hanneberry's. Since the raising of the draft age, it's been used to refer to draft eligible and non-eligble players within TAC Cup/Nab League/Championship games.

"Bottom Age" has literally never been uttered in reference to a July-Dec top age DOB player within the football industry, if it has on the Richmond board, then it has been done so incorrectly.
Hey I tried - but some are more stubborn than others to admit their errors.

“Top age players” will become a buzz word in 2021 with those that didn’t get drafted last year playing in now the new under 19 comp.

For the record - these aren’t players born in Jan-April.....

So your already shifting the goal posts from it's not used to it used incorrectly?

Btw I couldn't give a rats about talk in the football industry I'm more concerned with football fans talking about football.

It's obviously not just tigers fans. There are no shortage of examples of it being used 'incorrect' by other teams fans, too.

Ye olde language is fluid. It's been a loong time, fans describing the younger players of a draft pool in those terms.

So your already shifting the goal posts from it's not used to it used incorrectly?

Btw I couldn't give a rats about talk in the football industry I'm more concerned with football fans talking about football.

It's obviously not just tigers fans. There are no shortage of examples of it being used 'incorrect' by other teams fans, too.

Ye olde language is fluid. It's been a loong time, fans describing the younger players of a draft pool in those terms.

We only had the 2 players Lachie Jones who will be a very good player but hasn't adjusted yet running under the ball and just flying for everything won't play rnd 1.
Also young Ollie lord has surprised with his contested marking but won't play this yr I wouldn't think.
One from our neighbours Riley Thilthorpe showed on the wkend why he should of been pick 1 I'm sure Adelaide would of picked him at 1 if the dogs weren't guaranteed to match the bid.
Have been saying for 18mths he is a generational talent.

Thats a very very BIG call

generational talents are usually Franklin , Ablett , Martin , Carey , Hird type players

I have never heard anyone refer to bottom age the way you see it.

To keep it simple bottom age is U/17 and top age is U/18. It is determined by the year they’re born and it literally has nothing to do with what month they’re born in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back in the day wasn’t it also/more used for players like Buddy, Roughead, Gibbs, Danger etc who were able to be drafted but actually only turned 17 in the year of the draft

Very well but it's mostly tigers fans discussing drafts for the last 10 years. Doesn't hold as much gravity as the age I'm afraid.

- During the season the kids from the younger age group are bottom ages.

- Towards the draft the kids born at the end of the year are bottom ages

I beg you to stop. For the love of pancakes, stop. it has never EVER been talked about that way or written that way and been correct, and your above two points are laughably wrong. maybe you should change your incorrect wording to the correct way which is the wording that has been used since the dawn of draft time.

- if you are eligible for the draft you are a top age player
- if you missed out on being drafted and have registered for the draft again you are a mature age player
- if you are not eligible for the draft as you are not old enough, you are a bottom age player.

if you are born in nov or dec you are considered and talked about as having a late birthday (not a bottom ager)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back in the day wasn’t it also/more used for players like Buddy, Roughead, Gibbs, Danger etc who were able to be drafted but actually only turned 17 in the year of the draft

Yes.

This is exactly the origin of the term. Since the raising of the draft age, bottom ager continued to be used to refer to those that didn't turn 18 in that draft year.

Here is a carton mod using it in the younger player sense. Multiple times then explaining it.

There are literally 100s of examples. (Jack carroll)

Lore, I have acknowledged it is used too to describe a non eligible, player too.
Quoting someone using it incorrectly doesn't make it correct.

Congratulations. You found a nuffy who posted something wrong.

Maybe you can correct yourself, and then him?

Anytime it has been used as you describe it is being used WRONG. It's no more correct than the hundreds of times BigFooty posters have written "you've got alot wrong" or "your an idiot".

It was well and truly trending when bolton and balta were tearing up the training track. Trust me on that one.
Only among barely literate Richmond supporters.

That they used it incorrectly doesn't change anything.

This bottom ager argument is getting hard to read , all I know is Jack Carroll is called a bottom ager and I assume it's cause at draft time he was still 17 and didn't turn 18 until January making him one of the youngest in last year's draft . EDIT : happy to be proven wrong if someone can please ffs sort this s**t show out .

FFS!

You are wrong!

Stop doubling down on the fact you're absolutely completely incorrect!!

No one cares that you might have found some people who are ALSO wrong on some inbred outpost of the internet. Just use the term correctly in the future!

This bottom ager argument is getting hard to read , all I know is Jack Carroll is called a bottom ager and I assume it's cause at draft time he was still 17 and didn't turn 18 until January making him one of the youngest in last year's draft . EDIT : happy to be proven wrong if someone can please ffs sort this sh*t show out .
Jack Carroll isn't a bottom ager. Anyone calling him that is easily confused by the football terms used correctly by others.

Yeah I also saw the term being incorrectly used by Tiger posters.

I found it bizarre that players born a couple of months apart was a point of difference. Does anyone really care if a player was born in August or November?? It was used in one of the re-do threads. Crazy.

Up to 12 months apart. And they are only 18 years old. It's a significant difference.

You really can't see why clubs would prefer dec. Birth over dec?

FFS!

You are wrong!

Stop doubling down on the fact you're absolutely completely incorrect!!

No one cares that you might have found some people who are ALSO wrong on some inbred outpost of the internet. Just use the term correctly in the future!

I mean , there are 100s or thousands of examples on this website alone. More than 'some'.

Only among barely literate Richmond supporters.

That they used it incorrectly doesn't change anything.

Richmond fans and carlton moderator team.

And countless example from other teams fans...

Jack Carroll isn't a bottom ager. Anyone calling him that is easily confused by the football terms used correctly by others.
Like I said happy to be proven wrong I was just going off what Shifter Sheahan said at the draft and if he is wrong as well then I'm happy to be .

I mean , there are 100s or thousands of examples on this website alone. More than 'some'.

Richmond fans and carlton moderator team.

And countless example from other teams fans...

Not true - I’ve only seen Tiger posters and 1 Carlton mod.

So after all that Tiger posters and 1 Carlton mod are confused. Time to move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back