Owning a horse

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a bunch of information out there showing that owning a horse is generally not profitable, the social aspects are the selling point which is why you'll never see syndicates selling it on the likelihood of making coin. Just like lotto you might win but the odds are stacked heavily against.

Recently just bought into my first one with a couple of mates in a punters club. Trainer retained the horse from Orbis (Breed to Sell) after it was clear it wasn't going to make it to HK. Won a 2yo maiden on debut, and a few top 5 finishes in town. Probably shouldn't have raced as a 2yo, hence why we were happy to take on trust that the talent was there anyway. Trialling on Monday, racing on the 20th at The Gold Coast. To get a fringe Metro midweek / Provincial Saturday horse for absolute peanuts (because Orbis couldn't be patient) seems pretty stress free. The trainer wouldn't have kept it if he thought it was hopeless either, so we were happy with that lead in. Probably going to make an acceptable 1600-2000m galloper at some point.

Anyway, I look forward to winning the Golden Eagle with it in October.

I still dream of getting a gun 3yo filly so I can run it every day over the Flem carnival Phar Lap style

Wakeful > Melbourne Cup > Oaks > Mackinnon

Getting into the Cup would be the biggest drama I can see, there's not a great deal of pathway for you mate.

Maybe buck 100 years of history and win the Derby on the Saturday?

Either way, vets and stewards will have you on speed dial all week, before your timely end is met at the hands of activists as you're filling out the nomination card for the Zipping.

Recently just bought into my first one with a couple of mates in a punters club. Trainer retained the horse from Orbis (Breed to Sell) after it was clear it wasn't going to make it to HK. Won a 2yo maiden on debut, and a few top 5 finishes in town. Probably shouldn't have raced as a 2yo, hence why we were happy to take on trust that the talent was there anyway. Trialling on Monday, racing on the 20th at The Gold Coast. To get a fringe Metro midweek / Provincial Saturday horse for absolute peanuts (because Orbis couldn't be patient) seems pretty stress free. The trainer wouldn't have kept it if he thought it was hopeless either, so we were happy with that lead in. Probably going to make an acceptable 1600-2000m galloper at some point.

Anyway, I look forward to winning the Golden Eagle with it in October.

This things going around tomorrow at the GC (R6, N8) providing they get a start.

Won its maiden on debut on a Heavy 8 over 1400.
Tomorrow it's racing fresh on Heavy 10+ over 1400.

Its probably the one with the most upside in the race, and most likely to handle the conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back