Autopsy Round 2, 2021 v Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats the question.. If injuries dont dictate that answer, then..
I reckon the Swans will be wanting to get a string of games into all the young crew.. players like JMac, Campbell, Gulden, Blackey, Stephens, Rowbum, Florent, Warner, Wicks, Gould?, Ling, McDonald, Hayward, McLean, Armatey? Ronke?, Bell.. I reckon will all (or mostly all) be rotated. I reckon these rotations will be kinda pre-planned within a framework which considers the development of all these guys. Its a good year to do this, We might make finals (my money says we will) but it'll be a stretch to win the granny.

so I have no idea of the answer to who does Rowbum replace

I'm not sure I agree that the club would want to do that. They will definitely have their preferred youngsters who they would ideally want 22 games from (if they're able and don't get injured/need to be managed.) I would think all of those youngsters who have played over the last two weeks (including Rowbottom & McInerney who only played one of the games) would be those preferred youngsters. I can't see them giving guys like Bell, Amartey, Gould, Ronke etc a run of games just for their own experience.

If we are at the point where someone as highly-rated internally as Hayward can be dropped, with Blakey potentially joining him, because of how well all of the preferred youngsters are going, then that doesn't bode too well for the non-preferred younger players.

But it's still so early in the year, and this season will take a lot of twists and turns, so opportunities will unexpectedly pop up for some of these players on the fringes.

I'm not sure I agree that the club would want to do that. They will definitely have their preferred youngsters who they would ideally want 22 games from (if they're able and don't get injured/need to be managed.) I would think all of those youngsters who have played over the last two weeks (including Rowbottom & McInerney who only played one of the games) would be those preferred youngsters. I can't see them giving guys like Bell, Amartey, Gould, Ronke etc a run of games just for their own experience.

If we are at the point where someone as highly-rated internally as Hayward can be dropped, with Blakey potentially joining him, because of how well all of the preferred youngsters are going, then that doesn't bode too well for the non-preferred younger players.

But it's still so early in the year, and this season will take a lot of twists and turns, so opportunities will unexpectedly pop up for some of these players on the fringes.
yep.. I did put a ???? after Amartey, Bell, etc.
And yep the Swans will have their preferred youngsters and these youngsters will get more games.
But consider:
- that the game time is back to normal, the interchange has been reduced, the new rules have equated to a faster game and the new game style has equated to a faster game. All players endurance is being seriously challenged each game, and will be seriously challenged over the entire season.
- We more often than not see 1st, 2nd and even 3rd year players run out of puff towards the end of the season.. Rowbum did last year.
- The drafting, development, List turnover and overall strategy over the last few years seems to be working towards being seriously competitive over the next few years, so the development (and preservation) of all the young players will be considered this year.

Hayward and consistency is an oxymoron.
Inside the forward 50 maybe. And even that would be improved with the way it's coming in now. He'll find it hard to break in without injury there atm. Did ok down back last year but I reckon he could find a spot on the wing. Covers the ground nicely, can take a mark, can kick. Puts in for the team. Good utility on the bench I think.

On the other hand everyone is playing so well maybe they can afford for Blakey to be that guy that just pops up with his pace and height, and does those 2/3 things per game that turn the tide. 🤷‍♂️

This opinion may be unpopular, but I had no problem with the HTB frees that were paid against us yesterday, I thought we were too slow to get rid of the ball at times. However, I did feel that the umps weren't paying the frees both ways at times.

This opinion may be unpopular, but I had no problem with the HTB frees that were paid against us yesterday, I thought we were too slow to get rid of the ball at times. However, I did feel that the umps weren't paying the frees both ways at times.

Wasn’t something like 7 of them inside defensive 50?

They’ll be watching that vision closely at the review this week!

Can’t be doing that against good sides.

Blakey did some nice things in the first half looking at the replay - helped a couple of goals get through with nice play.

His biggest error IMO was not striking the bloke that took out McDonald front on after he took the mark on the fifty. Take the two weeks and smack him next time. Hold his shirt while you do it if it'll save you a week. But do it. Opposition need to know - or have some expectation there will be immediate physical consequences to taking out our best players like that. It was embarrassing nobody else knocked him over tbh - only looked a young guy too. The next 5 minutes McDonald had two terrible kicks. Reckon he was a bit dazed after his head hit the ground.

AFL is a much cleaner game than the old days, but physical dominance still plays a role. One area we might lack is a player to put fear into our opponents.

I though Saints lost a final last year to Richmond the second they allowed Cotchin in the first half to intentionally coat-hanger Jones (could have lead to serious neck injury), and then laugh in their faces due to the lack of consequence.

Blakey plays with a lot of energy, arguably nervous energy, and I thought he worked really hard to halftime (when i had to switch off ... will catch replay hopefully tonight) ... i hope he's left alone in the side to grow with confidence ...
not sure if it's already been discussed, but did campbell do enough to get this week's rising star nom? or does he have to wait till next week?

Blakey plays with a lot of energy, arguably nervous energy, and I thought he worked really hard to halftime (when i had to switch off ... will catch replay hopefully tonight) ... i hope he's left alone in the side to grow with confidence ...
not sure if it's already been discussed, but did campbell do enough to get this week's rising star nom? or does he have to wait till next week?
James Jordon (20 disposals, 9 tackles) and Mitch Georgiades (4 goals) both had good games

Campbell had a great first half.
As did gulden.
3rd was flash in the pan type acts.
4th was .. yeah not the greatest.

Just on that.
Nearly every structural goal we scored came from a Campbell or Gulden involvement. The other lightning rod being Dawson.
Reason.
Their kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy returned to kick 3 goals, got through the game fine
Kids Gulden, Campbell, Warner shined again
Nice healthy spread of goal kickers
Ball movement precise
100 points before 3QT again

Took the foot off the gas in the last quarter, but the game over realistically by 3QT

Umpires can GAGF

2 and 0 baby!
Agree with all that especially the umpires comment. Do you know that one umpire was a, South Australian? Do you know he did not give us even 1 free kick?

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Warner burst of speed is what we need

jmac is easily best 22

blakey the most overrated player on the list atm

be worried about rampe next week

Swap hewett amd mills already
Tex kicked 6 goals on Ramps. On the few a occasions McCartin had Walker he kept him quiet. Jonno Brown must not even watch the matches. He said McCartin played on Walker. He only did when Rampe left the back line.

Said it in the Match thread but we missed Allir today.
Blakey had a bad game but was good last week.
Rampe whats happened?
He is getting older and finding it hard to play on the big guys. Not only that several players got caught holding it by Tex. Hewee's was a farce. Tex got 3 goals from HTB frees. We got 1 free all day for incorrect disposal. Funny that when you had a SA umpire dictating.

Tale of two halves really.

Young guns like McCartin, Dawson, Gulden, Campbell, McDonald, McInerney and Florent were instrumental in setting up the unassailable lead in the first half.

Second half was just drab really. Making opportunities out of nothing, relying on Adelaide failing to do much damage on the scoreboard, etc.

But honestly if you had said pre-season that "Swans will play only one good half of footy, win by 33 points, kick a score of 120+ points, and it would be led by a bunch of under 23s" I would've laughed you out of the building. So cannot complain at all.

Worried about next week though. We really missed Rowbottom's smarts and his deft touch on the inside. Not to mention we lacked a speedy mid who could shut down an opposition clearance with a tackle. If we fail to bring these things next week, against what I rate as the best midfield in the comp, I think we will be in trouble.

But what a ******* start to the year! Now I've got some business to attend to...
Um, we kicked 6.5 in the third to win the match. They kicked 2.8 in the first half of the third but we controlled the second half of the quarter and kicked away. The last quarter we coasted. Obviously percentage is not high on the agenda

It was great to be at the SCG again! Simply Super!!!

I'm not sure if they told you on TV, but it was hot at the ground... maybe 27-28 degrees, very warm to be playing footy in early on in the season. They brought the fans out to cool the players on the bench...

Our team is full of young blokes, expecting them and/or the whole team to be consistent throughout a game, let alone a season, is unrealistic.

There were a number of brain fades, going for the miracle kick and kicking it out on the full, trying to offload instead of taking the tackle, Hewett's embarrassing moment... but they didn't let it get to them. They picked themselves up, dusted themselves off, and got on with it. We've got a fair bit of work to do, but a whole season to do it in, so lets not retire anyone just yet! We need our experience, they're giving our youth lots of assistance even if it's not visible on TV.

We're 2-0, we've a host of young players whose talent is the envy of half the league!

I'm super excited and strapped in for the ride!!! It's going to be great!!!

GO BLOODS!!! :largeredcircle: :mwcirlce:

Tex was clearly BOG where ever he was playing.

Tex carried Adelaide on his back (again). What a performance.

I was in stitches at caesar's post in the game preview thread "I don't rate Tex at all" but I nearly pissed myself when he followed that up with "Dawson is wasted in the back line. It’s worth asking why one of the top five most talented blokes on our list having so many disposals isn’t translating to a huge impact."

BF fans can be a riot sometimes.

I think Fox could be useful in the backline when he comes back from injury. Last season he coped ok against some of the bigger forwards and he is a good runner.
I've always been a big fan of Foxy. Genuine leg speed, evasive skills, big tank, nice kick, quick thinker, can play on smalls or talls, hates to lose a contest and bloody determined. A great defender but he can also play wing or forward. Hopefully he can squeeze his way back into the team when he's fully fit again. If Horse gives him any opportunity expect Fox to grab it with both hands, both feet and his teeth.

It's interesting because if Ling was going to get a game this is the week, but he's short a gallop now.

Maybe he plays none the less

Tex carried Adelaide on his back (again). What a performance.

I was in stitches at caesar's post in the game preview thread "I don't rate Tex at all" but I nearly pissed myself when he followed that up with "Dawson is wasted in the back line. It’s worth asking why one of the top five most talented blokes on our list having so many disposals isn’t translating to a huge impact."

BF fans can be a riot sometimes.

I didn't say "I don't rate Tex at all."

I said, "I don't rate him at all."

I would not refer to a player I don't rate by their nickname.

I thought the real difference between Sydney and Adelaide was our youth, who backed up last week with yet another stellar performance, while most of our older players also turned in classic performances.

Crows' youth just didn't have the same impact this week as they did against Geelong. This week the Crows relied heavily on their older brigade with the outstanding on-field leadership of Walker, the Rorys and a few senior players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back