Autopsy Round 2, 2021 v Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a luxury to have an excellent defence with Ling, Melican, Fox, Gould and Brand still waiting in the wings.
for an excellent defence, there weren't very many tackles laid... only Mills, Parker, Wicks, Kennedy, Warner and Papley laid more than 2... perhaps that's why they had so many shots on goal. Our defenders weren't actually tackling...

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Our young players made all the difference at the weekend. They come into a strong system, a team first ethos and a well understood game plan.

Our recent drafts have been impressive, with few exceptions. Stoddart and Foot were good players squeezed out by better players. Taylor was very talented but scuttled his own career. The vast majority of our recent draftees have shown themselves as far more than just handy at AFL level, only Gould remains untested. Maibaum was the only one not to make it at all.

2020 McDonald, Campbell, Gulden
2019 Stephens, Gould, Taylor, Warner
2018 Blakey, Rowbottom, McInenery, Foot
2017 Ling, McCartin, Stoddart
2016 Florent, Hayward, Maibaum, Cameron

Before that we picked up Mills and Heeney.

So much of our list is built from players we've been developing over the last 5 or so years, preparing for the fall of the old Swans empire with the rebuilding of the next and a new generation team. Anyone who has ever run a relay, or watched one keenly, will know that the baton change can make or break a performance. When I see how our young list nurtured and protected by our senior players and coaching staff, and the time and effort they put into their development I can see the baton being passed. The first two games of 2021 suggest there's no danger of the baton being fumbled.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
for an excellent defence, there weren't very many tackles laid... only Mills, Parker, Wicks, Kennedy, Warner and Papley laid more than 2... perhaps that's why they had so many shots on goal. Our defenders weren't actually tackling...
Agreed our defence weren't at their best in this game but the ball was coming in very fast at both ends. Hopefully we can learn and adjust before the Tigers game.

We still laid more tackles than Adelaide (55 v 50) with 6 of our players laying 4 or more, but there were also many missed tackles.

Agreed our defence weren't at their best in this game but the ball was coming in very fast at both ends. Hopefully we can learn and adjust before the Tigers game.

We still laid more tackles than Adelaide (55 v 50) with 6 of our players laying 4 or more, but there were also many missed tackles.
Yep, it was very fast, and it was better last week... but lots of missed tackles in both games.

For all that Kennedy had some poor kicks and handballs, without him things would have been a lot worse... led the clearances, laid 5 tackles and gained 423m

Fair enough. I must've interpreted your post wrong.

I agree with you about everything else. Blakey's such a unique player that the ebbs and flows in his form are always gonna be more noticeable than most other players. Just out of curiosity, who would you take out for Rowbottom?

McInerney, Blakey, Florent and totally against my religion Kennedy. Any of those would be incredibly stiff but purely on match up or players who haven't quite hit the ground running. I found that very hard to write so it's a massive decision for the real decision makers.

Only point I'm trying to make is now is not the time for fans to pull out the pitchforks based on one poor game, it's too early and we've just enjoyed a rare thing winning two in a row, but if fans are guessing who might come out no issue at all just hate to see it come across as rooting for it. The team seems well balanced and insane that we suddenly have depth with uninjured options. That right there is a recipe for success. A recipe that can turn quickly, don't mess with it.

elastic

Cometh the moment
Jul 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It's the great benefit of having few injuries and plenty of depth. All the kids know that competition for spots is hot and they are playing like it. The way Mcinerney ran out the game shows that he wants to be there. Plus the team is playing great football and who doesn't want to be a part of that. There may come a time later in the season where some of the kids may need a break but right now they are busting to be out there.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I didn't say "I don't rate Tex at all."

I said, "I don't rate him at all."

I would not refer to a player I don't rate by their nickname.
I paraphrased you. Perhaps you weren't alone in underrating Tex. He made our defence look silly. I felt for Hewett

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Yep, it was very fast, and it was better last week... but lots of missed tackles in both games.

For all that Kennedy had some poor kicks and handballs, without him things would have been a lot worse... led the clearances, laid 5 tackles and gained 423m
I agree completely. What Kennedy lacks in speed he makes up for in smarts and he tackles like an octopus covered in super-glue. One finger is all it takes. He directs the young mids constantly and always seems to be lurking, encouraging them to have a crack but ready to provide an out if they get in trouble. Any half decent you mid would benefit from that sort of schooling and support. Kennedy has plenty of good footy left in him but when he does finally retire he'll leave behind a cracking young midfield with an incredible ethos.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It's incredible to think that more than half the players on the ground on Saturday had played fewer than 50 games. Anyone footy fan interested in the young talent coming into the game would have loved that game. Perhaps Adelaide are a year behind us in their rebuild but they also have some real talent. I wouldn't be surprised if we whip their scrawny butts in a GF in a few years time. Matty Nicks is a smart operator and I think very few Crows fans would be disappointed with how they're developing as a team.

8 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
3 Ben Keays (ADEL)
2 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

Coaches votes

8 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
3 Ben Keays (ADEL)
2 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

Coaches votes

Who does Heeney have to bang to get his due recognition around here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we invent an Isaac Heeney award, where it goes to the player who is clearly a class above everyone else on the ground and who can do things hardly anyone else on the ground can do?

I think Isaac Heeney would win it most weeks.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
8 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
3 Ben Keays (ADEL)
2 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

Coaches votes

There is the team transformation just there.

Heeney the oldest at 24
Mccartin 21
Campbell 19
Dawson 23
Gulden 18
Warner 19
Three teenagers.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Agree with all that especially the umpires comment. Do you know that one umpire was a, South Australian? Do you know he did not give us even 1 free kick?

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why do the AFL send an Adelaide umpire with the Crows' team ? The guy has at least a 50% chance of being a diehard Crows fan and travelling with the team must make him feel almost one of them. We should only get Adelaide umpires when we play a Victorian team and vice versa. The AFL don't even bother to disguise their anti-Swans bias anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back