Autopsy Rd 5 BELTED! Power turns the Blues lights out

Who player well for the Blues vs Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If you can’t see that Crippa is still carrying an injury; you’re blind! He does not want to bend down! He cannot kick the ball with any meaningful force either. His hammys/back are COOKED. He needs to ******* rest.

if this is the case why wouldn’t Cripps just simplify his game and give off to the first option. Stop trying to take on the world!

Too many times he bangs the ball long when he has the opportunity to handball to someone in better position and who is a better and longer kick.

A perfect example last night where he took a Mark in the centre square, had 2 players streaming past but ignored them both, and kick it straight to a Port player.

No its not!
Its a game, its not life or death is it?

If you or anyone want to put all your happy eggs in one 'successful Carlton' basket.
Thats on you.

Don't get me wrong, i get no joy from us losing but am rational enough to realise that rich sportspeople chasing a ball around is not the be all and end all.

Chin up mate and buy a drum kit.
You will feel better in no time!
GO BLUES!!
It's so depressing

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

if this is the case why wouldn’t Cripps just simplify his game and give off to the first option. Stop trying to take on the world!

Too many times he bangs the ball long when he has the opportunity to handball to someone in better position and who is a better and longer kick.

A perfect example last night where he took a Mark in the centre square, had 2 players streaming past but ignored them both, and kick it straight to a Port player.
He’s obviously being coached to surge the ball forward. I imagine this will change next week.

Last edited:
We are in a lot of trouble, what a disgusting team.

Time all of us start not turning up to matches, we can't just keep giving this club money we don;t have.

We as fans and supporters need to make a statement, and the only way to that that is stop going to games.

There is a rot at this club, and it runs very deep. How many rebuilds are we going to have? How many more "same" excuses are we going to make?

It's very obvious the players don't care, so why should we care? I think Cripps has checked out and he is playing like that, maybe its better we don't offer him big bucks.

See you later, prefer you stayed away even if/when we turn the corner. Just another s**t supposed supporter

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Teague nailed it. The effort was there, but not the execution. We need both to be serious.

How do we fix this? It's easy to say just drop players - are they going to get better in the VFL?

The training track is where improvement starts.

Here’s my theory: too much ‘almost’ going on at our club. It’s taking players away from their strengths and causing them to lose confidence.

Cripps is ‘almost’ the best player isn’t he comp. He’s fantastic as a ball winner. He’s trying to run and break lines, and doing it badly. He’s trying to push forward but can’t mark or kick. Needs to get back to playing 95% of his time midfield and get back to ‘just’ being a contested beast who feeds others

Docherty is ‘almost’ back to his AA role of floating loosely in the backline, intercepting and creating. Except his timing and confidence are out, he’s lost a step of pace and an ounce of courage, and it’s killing us. Oh, and SPS and Saad are doing similar things and it’s overkill. Docherty needs to just get back to defending well first...

Zac Williams is ‘almost’ an A grade midfielder, but he’s not there in any aspect of his game. He IS the top shelf defender we need, and could probably play wing too...

Murphy and Betts are ‘almost’ still able to do it. They’re hidden in the forward line so what does it matter if they can’t go any more if it keeps a few of the boys happy? Except we can’t have two almost guys on the one line, surely?

McGovern, Martin and Saad - all classic ‘almost’ guys we paid as if they were over the line. All 3 look stunning at times, but have their flaws, and there’s a LOT of just hoping they’ll find that switch that makes them healthy, consistent, and a match winner. Might be a bit harsh on Saad (his almost us disposal and decision making when he’s run off half-back) I guess, but he’s ‘almost’ the best HB in the league

McKay -‘almost a superstar’. But he quits on plays and goes to ground too often, and has poor timing on his leads.

SPS is almost a good hbf, but isn’t the most natural defender and has a Clanger tendency that hurts there too much.

Lm has It’s no surprise that I come away from these games incredibly frsutrated as we ‘almost’ compete with top teams. We matched Port for contested possessions, tackles, inside 50s, etc but got smashed overall.

It’s also no surprise that the players who I come away happy with are guys just playing their role, where we’re not trying to ‘almost’ them. Plowman, Ed Curnow, Jones, Casboult, Newnes, Pittonet: we know what they are, we give them their job, and they do it. We aren’t trying to play Pittonet as a forward; Plowman gets killed when for some reason we play him on resting midfielders like Martin and Gray but is otherwise rock solid, etc.

Note: we have been here before and it’s a trend. Weitering was almost ruined by being played forward in his second year. Dow has been ruined by trying to turn an accumulating mid into a forward. Cuningham and Fisher the same. We tried to make Walsh a wing last year and while he was fine enough, he’s AA calibre as a mid.

There’s a version of our team that just grows in confidence and starts winning these games imo: something like:

- Williams to the backline and into the primary small defender role. Plowman the third tall but never the extra small. Docherty more defensive, Saad run.

- Stabilise the midfield: Cripps (distributor), Curnow (stopper), Walsh (versatile) with SPS (versatile) and two of Dow/Cuningham/Stocker/Setterfield inside. Newnes, Cottrell OR Murphy, and then SPS/Cuningham/Walsh having some outside sets. Most of these guys play 90%+ of their game time midfield.

- Forward line of Fogarty, Gibbons, Cottrell or Murphy, McKay/McGivern/Casboult and then at some point Fisher/Martin forward. Again, just 7 guys (add Newnes or Cuningham now if needed) who basically play forward. None of this pinch hitting forward. All the stalls tackle hard and chase. All the talls can compete in the air.

Basically - just simplify roles, stop trying to make guys versatile and something they aren’t, stop hoping 26 year old blokes who are good/solid will become superstars and focus on getting the basics right. If we do that I honestly think we have the best depth in the league, top end talent on every line and would be a premiership threat THIS year.

Absolutely deflating, give off the handball and block

Liddle is doing a fantastic job, plenty not going right at the minute but he is flying.

I think you need to get a grip mate

Is that a reference to the free memberships he has handed out to get to 80k?

Is that going to be sustainable in 2022 if we dont perform onfield?

At last check free memberships or 6game for 3game price or whatever they were spruiking doesnt drive real revenue, only databases to spam us with.

CEO is responsible for on and off field cohesion. Onfield be driving accountability behind the scenes.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were LoGuidice I’d be furious with what the dishonest football department, from Lloyd down to the players, are dishing up.

I’d be putting Lloyd and Teague on notice - get serious on standards or get out !!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not just him, what about footy director Juddchella.

An architect of the rebuild. Another nowhere to be seen

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

He’s obviously being coached to surge the ball forward. I imagine this will change next week.

There is no way any top level coach would coach that way, Cripps is trying to do it all and just about ballsing it all up because he thinks he needs to.
He’s an in close distributor getting it out to the better users of the ball, his skill level is not at the level it needs to be to play in that manner.
He needs to play to his strengths not invent something he’s not.

It’s a coaches place though to get his mindset back to his strengths, he’s a liability a lot of the time when he’s trying to be something he isn’t

Yup me too. Because this is what the Blues do,just turn up when they feel like it.
Georgiadis(spelling?) Is going to be a champion of the game. The young kid was just gliding over the ground. Port have some exceptional young talent.
Ridiculous! How the f can you suggest such a thing. Our team will not win a game for the next four weeks. Drop Kennedy, willo, maybe gibbons, the doc, bring in stocker, Ramsay, Owies and ?

Here’s my theory: too much ‘almost’ going on at our club. It’s taking players away from their strengths and causing them to lose confidence.

Cripps is ‘almost’ the best player isn’t he comp. He’s fantastic as a ball winner. He’s trying to run and break lines, and doing it badly. He’s trying to push forward but can’t mark or kick. Needs to get back to playing 95% of his time midfield and get back to ‘just’ being a contested beast who feeds others

Docherty is ‘almost’ back to his AA role of floating loosely in the backline, intercepting and creating. Except his timing and confidence are out, he’s lost a step of pace and an ounce of courage, and it’s killing us. Oh, and SPS and Saad are doing similar things and it’s overkill. Docherty needs to just get back to defending well first...

Zac Williams is ‘almost’ an A grade midfielder, but he’s not there in any aspect of his game. He IS the top shelf defender we need, and could probably play wing too...

Murphy and Betts are ‘almost’ still able to do it. They’re hidden in the forward line so what does it matter if they can’t go any more if it keeps a few of the boys happy? Except we can’t have two almost guys on the one line, surely?

McGovern, Martin and Saad - all classic ‘almost’ guys we paid as if they were over the line. All 3 look stunning at times, but have their flaws, and there’s a LOT of just hoping they’ll find that switch that makes them healthy, consistent, and a match winner. Might be a bit harsh on Saad (his almost us disposal and decision making when he’s run off half-back) I guess, but he’s ‘almost’ the best HB in the league

McKay -‘almost a superstar’. But he quits on plays and goes to ground too often, and has poor timing on his leads.

SPS is almost a good hbf, but isn’t the most natural defender and has a Clanger tendency that hurts there too much.

Lm has It’s no surprise that I come away from these games incredibly frsutrated as we ‘almost’ compete with top teams. We matched Port for contested possessions, tackles, inside 50s, etc but got smashed overall.

It’s also no surprise that the players who I come away happy with are guys just playing their role, where we’re not trying to ‘almost’ them. Plowman, Ed Curnow, Jones, Casboult, Newnes, Pittonet: we know what they are, we give them their job, and they do it. We aren’t trying to play Pittonet as a forward; Plowman gets killed when for some reason we play him on resting midfielders like Martin and Gray but is otherwise rock solid, etc.

Note: we have been here before and it’s a trend. Weitering was almost ruined by being played forward in his second year. Dow has been ruined by trying to turn an accumulating mid into a forward. Cuningham and Fisher the same. We tried to make Walsh a wing last year and while he was fine enough, he’s AA calibre as a mid.

There’s a version of our team that just grows in confidence and starts winning these games imo: something like:

- Williams to the backline and into the primary small defender role. Plowman the third tall but never the extra small. Docherty more defensive, Saad run.

- Stabilise the midfield: Cripps (distributor), Curnow (stopper), Walsh (versatile) with SPS (versatile) and two of Dow/Cuningham/Stocker/Setterfield inside. Newnes, Cottrell OR Murphy, and then SPS/Cuningham/Walsh having some outside sets. Most of these guys play 90%+ of their game time midfield.

- Forward line of Fogarty, Gibbons, Cottrell or Murphy, McKay/McGivern/Casboult and then at some point Fisher/Martin forward. Again, just 7 guys (add Newnes or Cuningham now if needed) who basically play forward. None of this pinch hitting forward. All the stalls tackle hard and chase. All the talls can compete in the air.

Basically - just simplify roles, stop trying to make guys versatile and something they aren’t, stop hoping 26 year old blokes who are good/solid will become superstars and focus on getting the basics right. If we do that I honestly think we have the best depth in the league, top end talent on every line and would be a premiership threat THIS year.
Well thought out, well done.

Teague nailed it. The effort was there, but not the execution. We need both to be serious.

How do we fix this? It's easy to say just drop players - are they going to get better in the VFL?

The training track is where improvement starts.

The problem with dropping players is that it's only the lower-tier guys who cop it.

Cripps, Docherty, McKay - all utterly woeful last night. Poor turnovers, positioning errors, lack of defensive effort, missed easy shots for goal. None are getting dropped.

The lower-tier guys need confidence and to feel supported and backed if it is just a matter of poise/execution - they'll gain confidence from knowing that a mistkae or two doesn't matter as long as they put int eh effort to win it back... That's how they grow into better players.

Setterfield and Dow looked horribly out of form and confidence, which is slightly different. That's a good time to hit the reserves, just build a little bit with less pressure then come back. Williamson needs a run in the twos for the same reason. Dow - bloody insane we didn't play him in the reserves yesterday, but we are a mess of a club.

Friend of mine worked at CFC in 2014, the psychologist there said we had one extrovert on the list; Mitch Robinson. I’ve seen Williams in person and he is as introverted as they come. Head down, no swagger or confidence. He is also the bloke in our team with the most dogfu** in him. So if he’s not an extrovert, then I’m not sure anyone is. Maybe Charlie Curnow? Nobody in our side has that Fev IDGAF attitude. Cripps is a man mountain and laughs and bullies blokes but he’s not going to run through you like Dangerfield would.

We need more campaigner in our side. A bit of arrogance. A Dixon, Franklin, Dusty, Greene, Cunnington type.
Cottrell has grunt.
But yeah,totally agree with this. Our players are the "nice" guys of the league.

Where do we go from here
From The outside it looks like theirs ,
No accountability
No earning your spot
No repercussions for not doing your job
No Forsyth or guts to change our system of play when the game looks like it’s not suiting
us eg slipping away .
No playing players to their strengths .
No playing players in their natural position that enticed us to draft them
No president coming out publicly and putting all and sundry on notice and acting on it .
No skills coach on our books worth his pay.
NO GOAL KICKING COACH
I was hoping things had begun to change even though I knew they really haven’t
I’ve had the blinkers on .
Blind Freddy can see theirs deep embedded issues at our club starting from the top
I don’t blame the players they get paid no matter what when theirs noone with the guts to drop these guys
Trade them when they currency make a statement that we wont put up with this crap eg MM playing favourites and players out of form .
We get what we deserve and that’s a club making money thanks ML but forgetting what it’s meant to do which is win .

Just a random comment but I’m sure many of you agree with this as I know my Blues brotherhood do..

We have chronically lacked players who can “explode”, with strength and speed, from stoppages, the type of speed that can give them that crucial extra split second of time to find the right option when they are free to release to outside runners. Think your C Judd type..

This is where we have missed out with Dow, LOB, Willo, Matt K, Setters, SPS not being the impact players we needed. Sadly either they’re too slow or just can’t find the footy.

My glass half full mentality, though, has me thinking Philp, Fog, Carroll, Kemp, Ramsay, Stocker could really help us going forward with this chronic issue. They’re on our list thank god!

I reckon 2nd half of the year we’ll look far better with these types of players in the team, but let’s steel ourselves that the finals dream will most likely be gone by then, but let’s at least salvage something out of this year. It could all turn around very quickly next year.

This is a really good post mate. Great food for thought.

Back