VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the Kayo streams will just be cheap like what they used to have on YouTube?

In the interview with Stephen Hocking on Footy Classified the other night, they were floating the idea of Tuesday night fixtures. Anyone know if this is on the radar for 2021, or is this just a possibility for 2022?

pretty much have to pick through the individual club websites

bizarrely, you can get live scores on the VFL App and on Flashscore, but nowhere online on the AFL website...
Thanks for the advice and I fear you are correct. I have searched high and low but cannot find Rd 1 selected VFL teams anywhere. Absolute disgrace that the once mighty VFA/VFL has come to this. Every metro and bush comp has its own website and via the ‘Match Centre’ tab you can see who is playing. However a state league does not even get its own website. Making it near on impossible to retain interest in the VFL.

Thanks for the advice and I fear you are correct. I have searched high and low but cannot find Rd 1 selected VFL teams anywhere. Absolute disgrace that the once mighty VFA/VFL has come to this. Every metro and bush comp has its own website and via the ‘Match Centre’ tab you can see who is playing. However a state league does not even get its own website. Making it near on impossible to retain interest in the VFL.

yeah I went looking too with no luck. Fortunately live scoring and stats on VFL app and on footy live app at least

Mr north man said:
Unfortunately Alan Aylett isn’t Dead but old VFA clubs and Aspey and Southport will be and will be blown away in 2021 in the EAFL as 2021 will be the only year the comp will be around.
As in 2022 the AFL will have a Reserves comp .
As for Southport and Aspey will play in the QAFL and the old VFA clubs will Be playing in local comps.

Willing to have copious amounts that aspley and Southport don’t get “blown away” they will be very competitive and will knock off some of the afl clubs for certain.

Aged like fine wine

Yeah they did nicely. Perhaps the gap between NEAFL and VFL wasn't as big after all.
I think the gap was there. The fact is Aspley and Southport are financially strong, well run clubs. They realized it would be a step up to VFL and planned and recruited accordingly. However, the results on Saturday were even better than I expected.

I think the gap was there. The fact is Aspley and Southport are financially strong, well run clubs. They realized it would be a step up to VFL and planned and recruited accordingly. However, the results on Saturday were even better than I expected.
I always felt that Southport should've been given the 17th AFL license and played as the Gold Coast Sharks.

Give it time
They were considered for the Gold Coast licence but it was thought this might alienate a lot of GC AFL fans. Southport were considered to be arrogant and ruthless (20 AFLQ GFs, 13 flags in 30 years!) practitioners of “chequebook footy” by other clubs/fans. In hindsight, I reckon Southport would have been more successful than the GC Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were considered for the Gold Coast licence but it was thought this might alienate a lot of GC AFL fans. Southport were considered to be arrogant and ruthless (20 AFLQ GFs, 13 flags in 30 years!) practitioners of “chequebook footy” by other clubs/fans. In hindsight, I reckon Southport would have been more successful than the GC Suns.
Ye but will everyone support the Sharks especially if they align with their own local team?

VFL Round 1

Aspley 20.13 (133) def. Port Melbourne 12.8 (80)
Southport 17.7 (109) def. Carlton 16.12 (108)
Brisbane 15.14 (104) def. Essendon 5.8 (38)

Can we stop pretending like there's a massive gap between second tier footy clubs in Queensland and Victoria now? The dominant players for the QLD teams are locals from the NEAFL - Aspley: Matt Hammelman and Matthew Payne, Southport: Fraser Thurlow, Brayden Crossley and Andrew Boston, Brisbane: Connor Ballenden.

Despite what some southerners may think, there are players and clubs in QLD/NSW that can play Aussie rules at a very high level.

VFL Round 1

Aspley 20.13 (133) def. Port Melbourne 12.8 (80)
Southport 17.7 (109) def. Carlton 16.12 (108)
Brisbane 15.14 (104) def. Essendon 5.8 (38)

Can we stop pretending like there's a massive gap between second tier footy clubs in Queensland and Victoria now? The dominant players for the QLD teams are locals from the NEAFL - Aspley: Matt Hammelman and Matthew Payne, Southport: Fraser Thurlow, Brayden Crossley and Andrew Boston, Brisbane: Connor Ballenden.

Despite what some southerners may think, there are players and clubs in QLD/NSW that can play Aussie rules at a very high level.
Perhaps im biased as i was born in the Great North but i dont think the elite levels are where there is a difference. I think its more schoolboy and into ammos and the semi professional levels where there is a discrepancy.

According to their website they have 55,000 members :O

EDIT: Sorry that's social club members, not footy club members. Both are called Southport Sharks.

It is probably worth noting at this point that the Sharks turn over about 20m a year in gaming revenue, about on par with Hawthorn. They're not a plucky little underdog here, they're quite possibly the richest Australian Football club outside the outside the AFL (due to more generous gaming laws than in Vic and SA, and I checked that they make more money than Ainslie) .

It is probably worth noting at this point that the Sharks turn over about 20m a year in gaming revenue, about on par with Hawthorn. They're not a plucky little underdog here, they're quite possibly the richest Australian Football club outside the outside the AFL (due to more generous gaming laws than in Vic and SA, and I checked that they make more money than Ainslie) .
Wow. How did they not get the Gold Coast license then? :O

Surely merge them with the Suns and the AFL wouldn't have to stump up the cash every year?

Probably down to football politics. They were absolutely positioning for it, and they applied the same time Port did back in the 1990s, and I think tried to buy North Melbourne when they were a listed company.

That said, their president is on the Suns board and they're a major sponsor and host of a lot of Suns events. So it's not as though the club is shut out of GCFC goings on.

Probably down to football politics. They were absolutely positioning for it, and they applied the same time Port did back in the 1990s, and I think tried to buy North Melbourne when they were a listed company.

That said, their president is on the Suns board and they're a major sponsor and host of a lot of Suns events. So it's not as though the club is shut out of GCFC goings on.
After the Sharks didn't get the licence, they invested in the Suns. They gave the Gold Coast Suns 1 million dollars a year for the first 10 years in the AFL. We at Aspley unfortunately are not as financial. Credit where its due the Sharks are very well run, as are Aspley.

A question for the banana benders ...

I wondered whether Matty Payne might have given up the fight last season and opted for a cruisey life of footy in the 'burbs. But he has blitzed in Round One - were you surprised that he's done that well...?

A question for the banana benders ...

I wondered whether Matty Payne might have given up the fight last season and opted for a cruisey life of footy in the 'burbs. But he has blitzed in Round One - were you surprised that he's done that well...?

in my opinion Payne has been one of the best players outside the AFL for 12 years straight. Gun player got Morningside over the line in the qafl gf last year.
No surprise to me....

Wow. How did they not get the Gold Coast license then? :O
Had Port Adelaide not sucessfully applied for an AFL licence in '96, Southport would have entered the national competition. The AFL Commission said as much at the time.

Surely merge them with the Suns and the AFL wouldn't have to stump up the cash every year?
Could be on the cards one day and I could see it working in a similar way to Port Adelaide's merger of the Power and Magpies in 2010. Assume Southport's highly successful football history (22 Premierships across the GCAFL, QAFL and NEAFL), incorporate their slick chevron jumper design, takeover management of significant company assets/revenue producers like their onsite Mantra hotel/restaurants/function centre etc, distribute the increased finances accordingly to ensure football success (the Sharks have a very good history of doing this) and take advantage of their existing ties to former players and wealthy Gold Coast businesses/general corporate excellence.

Importantly, try to incorporate Southport's 60-year history (especially the successful years) as much as you possibly can ala the Swans with South Melbourne and the Lions with Fitzroy to inject more soul into the club. This means proudly displaying QAFL premiership flags/trophies around the club, wall graphics of former premiership teams/players that have gone before you, updated internal club records, incorporation of legendary former players and their jumper numbers on lockers etc. Port Adelaide often acknowledge their long history of producing high level juniors before entering the AFL like Gavin Wanganeen (1990), Nathan Buckley (1992) and Andrew McLeod (1994). A merger between the Suns and Sharks would result in a similar situation where the Gold Coast Footy Club could lay claim to former juniors like Marcus Ashcroft (1988), Nick Riewoldt (2000), Daniel Merrett (2002), Kurt Tippett (2006) and Dayne Beams (2008), despite all those players competing for a different club at the AFL level.

The Gold Coast Suns Football Club Est. 2011 becomes the Gold Coast Sharks Football Club Est. 1961 under this hypothetical merger and the reserves/academy teams play and train at the club's traditional home in Southport while the senior men's and women's teams play and train at the better facilities in Carrara. I could see it working and some would argue it should happen considering two separate GC teams in the VFL would really be better off as a combined Gold Coast super team. It would obviously secure the club's future as well given we wouldn't be so reliant on the AFL for funds and could actually stand on our own two feet financially. Makes a lot of sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back