VFL 2023 - GOLD COAST SUNS WIN THE PREMIERSHIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that right? I assume his participation in the victorious U18 Allies program this year helped their case. It's a pretty remarkable story that in 2023 we see a 16 year old cleared to participate in a VFL GF. The AFL rarely allows these kinds of things to happen but perhaps they felt it was in the best interests of the growing the game up north to expose a likely top 10 pick to a high level of footy 12 months out.
Not really, but a few forms, permission from their local club (which I assume would be the academy anyway), permission from the AFL, and consent from their parents.

Not really, but a few forms, permission from their local club (which I assume would be the academy anyway), permission from the AFL, and consent from their parents.
His local club is Broadbeach in the QAFL. Lombard played 8 games for the Broadbeach senior team (+1 reserves game) this year and that includes a losing QAFL Semi Final just three weeks ago. So when he was called up for the VFL prelim last week, he didn't have a senior game to play at the QAFL level. However Broadbeach did qualify for the QAFL reserves GF that week and Lombard was eligible to play in that game too. So Broadbeach cleared him to play for the Suns in the VFL prelim when they could have instead forced him to play for them in their reserves GF. Broady ended up losing that reserves GF by 14 points so there's probably a little regret over clearing Lombard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge props to Werribee. Probably one of the best ressies team ever given the larger list for GC

Mannagh probably should win the medal still. Otherwise I’d pick Hollands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back