VFL 2023 - GOLD COAST SUNS WIN THE PREMIERSHIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's a disappointing end to the season, congratulations to GC on the win but I can't help but feel a bit sick after that. Irks me at the best of times to see AFL reserves sides win, let alone against my own side, and especially one from outside Victoria. The matchday event itself was quite good and it was an entertaining match, but * it's a painful outcome. Onwards and upwards I suppose.

Even though we lost it was a pretty good day out and I got my fat head on TV heaps because I'm a werribee nuffy lol

I can't help but feel a bit sick after that. Irks me at the best of times to see AFL reserves sides win, let alone against my own side, and especially one from outside Victoria. The matchday event itself was quite good and it was an entertaining match, but * it's a painful outcome. Onwards and upwards I suppose.
You know what irks me? When your team finishes top of the ladder and is supposed to earn the right to host the GF but for some unknown reason you're told the final will be held two states away in your opponent's home city. As a city we were robbed of the historic moment of our first ever premiership that we rightfully earned. I should be at Heritage Bank Stadium right now celebrating with the boys but instead I had to watch the GF on a choppy stream because CH7 Queensland didn't even televise it.

But hey, to each their own.

Good for the GC. Should have been held on the GC. Wish Werribee as a stand alone club got up, that GC team was stacked. AFL should start the Reserves comp and leave the VFL to thrive, which it would

It was a great day at Ikon Park

Official crowd 7000

I spent the day at VFL Geand Final Match Day Function and had a great time.

Congrats to GC Suns

Well done to Werribee’s Shaun Mannagh on winning Norm Goss Medal for best in ground.

Biggest disappointment no footy record or team list available.

Attachments

• IMG_9333.jpeg
    IMG_9333.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9331.jpeg
    IMG_9331.jpeg
    972.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9332.jpeg
    IMG_9332.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
Not a reflection on the commentary team today as I do think Ch7 under use them. Better than Hamish, BT and JB etc.

But unpopular opinion time. I enjoyed the VFL when the ABC did it.
The passion they had for the game is unrivalled.

Not a reflection on the commentary team today as I do think Ch7 under use them. Better than Hamish, BT and JB etc.

But unpopular opinion time. I enjoyed the VFL when the ABC did it.
The passion they had for the game is unrivalled.
Jason Bennett is the best 7 have , but they continue to use flogs like BT JB and Darcy

Good for the GC. Should have been held on the GC. Wish Werribee as a stand alone club got up, that GC team was stacked. AFL should start the Reserves comp and leave the VFL to thrive, which it would

Conferences? That way two divisional winners

It was a great day at Ikon Park

Official crowd 7000

I spent the day at VFL Geand Final Match Day Function and had a great time.

Congrats to GC Suns

Well done to Werribee’s Shaun Mannagh on winning Norm Goss Medal for best in ground.

Biggest disappointment no footy record or team list available.
Was the function open to the public? I saw nothing anywhere about a function even though I asked multiple areas.

Is that crowd right? It seems pretty much a rough number shouldn’t it be like 7,425 or something like that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was the function open to the public? I saw nothing anywhere about a function even though I asked multiple areas.

Is that crowd right? It seems pretty much a rough number shouldn’t it be like 7,425 or something like that?
The function was invitation only.

That 7000 number was the number the AFL said at the end of the game yesterday.

You know what irks me? When your team finishes top of the ladder and is supposed to earn the right to host the GF but for some unknown reason you're told the final will be held two states away in your opponent's home city. As a city we were robbed of the historic moment of our first ever premiership that we rightfully earned. I should be at Heritage Bank Stadium right now celebrating with the boys but instead I had to watch the GF on a choppy stream because CH7 Queensland didn't even televise it.

It’s going to sadly take this for the AFL to change their policy.

Werribee's competition got decimated a long long time before your side was even an idea, so don't take my reaction personally. But you seem to be a little bit misguided as to what you think GC should've been entitled to in terms of this match. Yes, in an ideal world the home team probably should be able to host a grand final, but there isn't a single top level footy comp in this country that gives the higher placed team a home GF. It just isn't all that practical. And the fact you got to play so many AFL listed players (some of whom are almost better than elite by VFL standards) probably balances things out juuuuust a little bit.

VFL season stats after yesterdays game

Attachments

• IMG_9336.jpeg
    IMG_9336.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9337.jpeg
    IMG_9337.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9338.jpeg
    IMG_9338.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9339.jpeg
    IMG_9339.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
So supporters from competing clubs don’t get an invite- sounds right…
It was only a small room. It was mainly a function to thank all clubs for their work this season. I was one of 3 representatives from Frankston there yesterday. We had representatives from Coburg and Colllingwood on our table. Obviously more Werribee and Gold Coast staff were in the room.

Werribee's competition got decimated a long long time before your side was even an idea, so don't take my reaction personally. But you seem to be a little bit misguided as to what you think GC should've been entitled to in terms of this match. Yes, in an ideal world the home team probably should be able to host a grand final, but there isn't a single top level footy comp in this country that gives the higher placed team a home GF. It just isn't all that practical. And the fact you got to play so many AFL listed players (some of whom are almost better than elite by VFL standards) probably balances things out juuuuust a little bit.
Well we know the "practical" element wasn't actually an issue because the AFL confirmed several weeks ago that a Brisbane v Gold Coast VFL grand final would have been played in Queensland. They were prepared to shift everything north if it was an all-Queensland affair and that suggests there weren't any legitimate practical issues that would prevent it. I also think it's far more likely that CH7 Queensland would have broadcast the game here locally had it been played in Queensland so we also missed out on that opportunity to potentially grow the game through local coverage. It's not just the home advantage that we're chasing up here.

I'm sure you won't agree but the decision to play it in Victoria when the higher ranked qualifier was from Queensland just screams of unnecessary Vic bias. Maybe most onlookers are just used to this competition being a Victorian only league but it's not anymore and home city/state advantage makes a big difference, particularly in a grand final. Give the teams in QLD & NSW a fair go.

With Lachie Neale’s Brownlow medal win Brisbane Lions became 2nd club in modern VFL (since 2000) to have JJ Liston Trophy and Brownlow Medal winners from the same club in Same season.

The other time was 2007 when Geelong had Jimmy Bartel win Brownlow Medal and James Byrne win JJ Liston Trophy.

With Lachie Neale’s Brownlow medal win Brisbane Lions became 2nd club in modern VFL (since 2000) to have JJ Liston Trophy and Brownlow Medal winners from the same club in Same season.

The other time was 2007 when Geelong had Jimmy Bartel win Brownlow Medal and James Byrne win JJ Liston Trophy.
2017: Dusty and Townsend

Dom Brew has won Werribee’s best and fairest
Had a really good season but I thought Shawny babe was going to win it for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back