2024 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

A crowd around 200 when game started at punt road oval today. It did build up as afternoon went on.
Richmond did an excellent job with the pre match ceremony.

Tyler Sonsie, Lachie Street and Jacob Koschitzke best for Tigers
Josh Schache and Shane McAdam best for Demons

Richmond 15-5(95) def Casey Demons 11-9(75)

Attachments

• IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Went to Point Gillibrand today, Werribees 2nd QTR was rubbish. They gave willy too much time and space. Willy r a top 4 team. Bees lack pace,I think they're in a bit of trouble. Next 4 games are brutal:
Carlton at home
Pies away
North Melb at home
Suns away
Need to win at least 2 of those

Mate, how can you say the recruiting has been strong? That is a ridiculous statement when you look at the facts

We have turned over 64 players in TWO years (32 OUT and 32 IN ) being 15 players who played over 250 COMBINED games over the two years and 17 players who didn't even get a game with majority walking away from the club

We roll out 1st game with a 3rd year coach playing 13 debutants FFS or 50% of the team, no wonder we can't win a game

Like all Stand Alone clubs list management is about RECRUIT, DEVELOP AND RETAIN (RDR).

Based on turning over our list 1.5 times in two years even "blind freddie" would agree that our ability to RDR is shithouse under current regime hence our recruitment has be weak not strong.

I don't think its a ridiculous statement at all. Some of the recruits this year were exceptional. Players like Jimmy Miller, Tom Highmore, Billy Gowers, Dan McKenzie, are some of the best plyers in the competition - then their were several other very solid recruits for this season who weren't as well known but solid additions nevertheless like Owen Mullady. Some of the players we have recruited to Port would be able to get a game at any VFL side, our recruiting in my eyes was definitely very good not perfect as their were a couple of key positions we may have benefited from covering but you would mark it around the B vicinity on the report card.

What wasn't good was our player retention, losing the likes of Sam Naismith, Ethan Phillips are massive losses which were unpreventable but as you said the amount of players we lost was substantial, some we may of liked to of kept, going forward I think it would be beneficial if the club was able to focus on retaining more quality (Gasper is a good example). Retaining players was not good I agree with you, I disagree that recruitment and the quality of recruits wasnt though - not just my thoughts but those of several "vfl experts" who stated that Port Melbourne were expected to be big improvers due to their good off season recruitement.

Far from a ridiculous statement - what i do find ridiculous though is people stating fiction as fact. Ill give you two examples - people stating that membership numbers are at a all time low - this is far from the truth, Port Melbourne had the highest membership sign ups amongst all VFL clubs who participated in the membership competition easily surpassing the side that came 2nd and membership numbers of today dwarf member numbers of lets say 10 years ago - far from a all time low, not a opinion a fact - the numbers do not lie. Another example - stating that people refused to take free bus rides to a away game to Frankston, the fact is that their was no free supporter bus.

Talking about facts ild suggest you do some fact checking before you post misinformation as you will lose credibility fast and people will begin to think your posts are agenda based.

Last edited:
Frankston vs Coburg is low scoring but very entertaining so far, sounds like it's a great atmosphere and there is a sizeable amount of coburg fans there

Frankston win 76 to 59. Went to sleep in the 4th and let Coburg kick the last three goals, but managed to hang on and slow the game down.

Not the prettiest performance, but it was a great contest. Credit to Coburg for their ferocity today. It was just a bit of class and composure that got Frankston over the line. Great to have two standalone clubs pulling a crowd that size and making a great night of it.

Frankston win 76 to 59. Went to sleep in the 4th and let Coburg kick the last three goals, but managed to hang on and slow the game down.

Not the prettiest performance, but it was a great contest. Credit to Coburg for their ferocity today. It was just a bit of class and composure that got Frankston over the line. Great to have two standalone clubs pulling a crowd that size and making a great night of it.
Great to see Frankston in the top 4, who's the player in the sleeves for you guys? He was great

For 3rd straight week Port Melbourne blows a last quarter lead to lose by 5 points to Gold Coast

Gold Coast 12-18(90) def Port Melbourne 13-7(85)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think its a ridiculous statement at all. Some of the recruits this year were exceptional. Players like Jimmy Miller, Tom Highmore, Billy Gowers, Dan McKenzie, are some of the best plyers in the competition - then their were several other very solid recruits for this season who weren't as well known but solid additions nevertheless like Owen Mullady. Some of the players we have recruited to Port would be able to get a game at any VFL side, our recruiting in my eyes was definitely very good not perfect as their were a couple of key positions we may have benefited from covering but you would mark it around the B vicinity on the report card.

What wasn't good was our player retention, losing the likes of Sam Naismith, Ethan Phillips are massive losses which were unpreventable but as you said the amount of players we lost was substantial, some we may of liked to of kept, going forward I think it would be beneficial if the club was able to focus on retaining more quality (Gasper is a good example). Retaining players was not good I agree with you, I disagree that recruitment and the quality of recruits wasnt though - not just my thoughts but those of several "vfl experts" who stated that Port Melbourne were expected to be big improvers due to their good off season recruitement.

Far from a ridiculous statement - what i do find ridiculous though is people stating fiction as fact. Ill give you two examples - people stating that membership numbers are at a all time low - this is far from the truth, Port Melbourne had the highest membership sign ups amongst all VFL clubs who participated in the membership competition easily surpassing the side that came 2nd and membership numbers of today dwarf member numbers of lets say 10 years ago - far from a all time low, not a opinion a fact - the numbers do not lie. Another example - stating that people refused to take free bus rides to a away game to Frankston, the fact is that their was no free supporter bus.

Talking about facts ild suggest you do some fact checking before you post misinformation as you will lose credibility fast and people will begin to think your posts are agenda based.

How are all those so called vfl expert" going Mega? Big improvers due to good off season recruitment

We are currently 0-5

Why don't you mention all the recruitment failures last 2 years mega. Clark, Bennel, Lentini, Bowes, Wilkinson, Stakelberg, Wiedeman etc etc.

Empty bus because only 6 people wanted to pay $20, oh please!

Win next week hopefully, but don't come in hear spruiking as it clearly shows the benchmark you set in life...like your Cred on here, very low

Remove this Banner Ad

Back