New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

every game involving Australia or India would get more than 10k
Australia and India wouldn't make up most of the games. It would also likely include venues in other states like they do with the soccer. There would be no reason to keep the gabba if they did build a new stadium due to the new stadium taking over the usages that the gabba is used for.

Metricon is more than 10k. Also can easily use temporary stands and most if not all venues. Alot of the games wouldn't have more than 10k anyway.
England, South Africa all the nations from the sub continent Aus and NZ. Makes no sense tearing down the Gabba. I can see post Olympics getting rid of it

Australia and India wouldn't make up most of the games. It would also likely include venues in other states like they do with the soccer. There would be no reason to keep the gabba if they did build a new stadium due to the new stadium taking over the usages that the gabba is used for.
If they built a new stadium for the games they'd be no point bringing down the Gabba, the more venues the better. After the games I assume they'd bring down the Gabba.

If they built a new stadium for the games they'd be no point bringing down the Gabba, the more venues the better. After the games I assume they'd bring down the Gabba.
Imo I don't think they will use the gabba at the Olympics and then knock it down. They can always refurb the gabba and use it for the cricket and ceremonies and have the athletics at metircon. I feel they just won't bother with the new a stadium, especially if cricket is apart of the games.

I'm wondering how they're going to add another level. Given the overhang on both Vulture and Stanley Streets, they might have to permanently reclaim a traffic lane on both sides to give themselves enough room and structural stability.

So 1 billion dollars to increase capacity by 8k jeez

It's being described as a full rebuild in the press

I was against the expansion of the Gabba because I thought local geog was too restrictive, but if they are razing and then raising the stadium, a lot of those issues are overcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waste of one billion dollars and that’s before it goes over budget
You'd be surprised how quickly one billion dollars can be made up into the local GDP with influx of visitors attracted to the new stadium.
Not to mention the Olympic Games being required to have a stadium to their standards which would cost over a billion to build anyway.

You'd be surprised how quickly one billion dollars can be made up into the local GDP with influx of visitors attracted to the new stadium.
Not to mention the Olympic Games being required to have a stadium to their standards which would cost over a billion to build anyway.
It’s not going to get more blokes at the first test shield or to the lions games. It’s an incredible amount of money for not much

It’s not going to get more blokes at the first test shield or to the lions games. It’s an incredible amount of money for not much
For the longevity of the stadium (talking 20-30 year lifespan) it is worth it. From the images, and now the reporting, it looks like a pretty major overhaul if not a complete rebuild.

Yeah I do spend a billion on a white elephant just like stadium Australia granted the Gabba will actually get used more and is in a better location

Even without the Olympics, the Gabba needs a seriously significant redevelopment. Just look at cricket, where they are now struggling to guarantee involvement in 3-4 test series thanks to the improvements in Perth and AO

Yeah I do spend a billion on a white elephant just like stadium Australia granted the Gabba will actually get used more and is in a better location
The Gabba is out of date and really isn’t up to scratch anymore, it’s not about drawing in more people (which it will anyways), it’s about Brisbane having a suitable AFL and cricket venue for the next 30 years. The Gabba realistically would only have 10 more years left anyways before it would need a major refurb.

This will be a complete rebuild with 50,000 seats being the right size for the Lions long term and now is allowed by the Olympic committee. It won’t be a white elephant by any stretch.

Interesting the branding on the renders is very lions focused, satisfying the Olympic brief for stadiums to be usable post Olympic.

also shows the impact on putting the grand final in Brisbane...

more like 15k. its not a 42k stadium anymore, not sure why everyone keeps running with that number.
Isn't the new cap going to be 50k therefore an increase of 8k?

It's also rebuild, so it is 1b for 50k I all reality (plus the warm up area and parkland around the stadium

Isn't the new cap going to be 50k therefore an increase of 8k?

It's also rebuild, so it is 1b for 50k I all reality (plus the warm up area and parkland around the stadium
A sellout at the Gabba these days is around 35 000, and then if they really have to, they'll open up a few more areas that aren't in regular use, but even that doesn't go past 37 500. The true capacity has dropped in the past decade.

The only concern I have about the Gabba redevelopment is they just finished one last October.

Also, is there only going to be the single pathway into the stadium?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back