Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
newcastle-cricket-stadium-concept.jpg

This would be really good.

Start playing some AFL games in Newcastle, as they would probably want more content than occasional cricket games, to make this boutique stadium viable.

If TAS get’s a team, then North Melbourne could play home games here against Swans and GWS, to make up for the lost Hobart games, and to help increase exposure for the two NSW teams.

This would be brilliant, it is ridiculous that a city the size of Newcastle gets no first class cricket. It is probably ten years away as a new racetrack has to be built first. In the meantime, get some AFL content at No.1 Sportsground.

With Tasmania coming in, and likely a 20th team sometime in the decade after that, which I think should be Canberra, GWS could potentially play 2 or so games a season at a stadium like this. Would be a perfect way to get some AFL content in the largest Australian city never to have hosted a (season-proper) game.

Is there even any interest in Newcastle for AFL?

There's probably a reason a game hasn't been played there before.

Not trying to be negative but I've lived in the ACT, NSW and Qld and I'd have thought Newcastle along with Townsville would be 2 of the large cities where you wouldn't play a game.

Is there even any interest in Newcastle for AFL?

There's probably a reason a game hasn't been played there before.

Not trying to be negative but I've lived in the ACT, NSW and Qld and I'd have thought Newcastle along with Townsville would be 2 of the large cities where you wouldn't play a game.
500,000 people though. It's definitely a large enough market to play 1-2 games per year (Townsville's population is 180,000).

I'd suggest the reason why they haven't played there yet is because there's been no decent venue.

500,000 people though. It's definitely a large enough market to play 1-2 games per year (Townsville's population is 180,000).

I'd suggest the reason why they haven't played there yet is because there's been no decent venue.

I’d suggest the reason is they don’t like AFL I’ve never been to a place in Australia like the Newcastle area that absolutely detests AFL. I’ve been there a few times and they really don’t like it. Last time I was there was for my brothers wedding a few years back and we went to a local pub on the Friday night before the wedding, when we asked if they had AFL on the tv he said “nah we only watch Rugby league here mate“. I said “we’ve got 25 of us Southerners who want to watch the AFL…” so he must have thought better of it and then relunctanty put the AFL onto one small tv screens out the back in the Lounge area. Funny enough We had more people watching the AFL out the back then they had watching the NRL in the front bar !!

When you only have 1 or 2 of a thing in a year, it is more of an event.

Look at when EPL teams come and play exhibition games.

People who don’t like soccer will go for the occasion.

When NRL state of origin is played in Perth and Adelaide they sell out because of the occasion.

Alice Springs gets an AFL game and the crowd is over a quarter of the towns population.

Tasmanian’s started getting weary of 8 Fifo AFL games after 20 years.

Newcastle would be able to get a crowd to such an event of 1-2 AFL games a year.

With Tasmania coming in, and likely a 20th team sometime in the decade after that, which I think should be Canberra, GWS could potentially play 2 or so games a season at a stadium like this. Would be a perfect way to get some AFL content in the largest Australian city never to have hosted a (season-proper) game.
GWS seriously need to show they are committed to western Sydney. Get out of Canberra and don't go looking for another market. They would need a secondoval within western Sydney however, due to the show.

GWS seriously need to show they are committed to western Sydney. Get out of Canberra and don't go looking for another market. They would need a secondoval within western Sydney however, due to the show.
Can they still play games at ANZ? I know it's not ideal, but if they stacked one side of the ground, lower tier only, and played big clubs (Swans, Pies, Tigers) to try and boost the numbers it could work. But I agree, they need to exit Canberra. Let North move some of their games to Canberra until a time where a 20th/21st/22nd license is placed up there.

Can they still play games at ANZ? I know it's not ideal, but if they stacked one side of the ground, lower tier only, and played big clubs (Swans, Pies, Tigers) to try and boost the numbers it could work. But I agree, they need to exit Canberra. Let North move some of their games to Canberra until a time where a 20th/21st/22nd license is placed up there.
I think they could easily get away with using Blacktown for a game or two, plus maybe the Sydney derby at Accor (even though that is a terrible stadium for AFL).

The SCG is always an option too if they really needed it.

I think they could easily get away with using Blacktown for a game or two, plus maybe the Sydney derby at Accor (even though that is a terrible stadium for AFL).

The SCG is always an option too if they really needed it.
I would make the argument the Giants should've been playing out of Blacktown from the very start (with a boutique stadium built out there) and shown they were truly committed to Western Sydney cause at the moment they're sort of viewed as a FIFO team. They'd probably be getting somewhat better crowds doing so (maybe high teens) in a location far more relevant to their supporter base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stadium Australia? Its in the same precinct as the show, which might rule it out even if its not used for the show. The two are far enough apart it might work, although it would be a pretty poor look for a GWS crowd in a stadium of that capacity against almost all opponents.
If there was an oval out Penrith way or something that might help get the Giants into another part of what is supposed to be their core market. Failing that, Blacktown might work in the short term while crowds are so low.

Stadium Australia? Its in the same precinct as the show, which might rule it out even if its not used for the show. The two are far enough apart it might work, although it would be a pretty poor look for a GWS crowd in a stadium of that capacity against almost all opponents.
If there was an oval out Penrith way or something that might help get the Giants into another part of what is supposed to be their core market. Failing that, Blacktown might work in the short term while crowds are so low.
ANZ isn't used for the show at all and hosts NRL then so always an option.

I would make the argument the Giants should've been playing out of Blacktown from the very start (with a boutique stadium built out there) and shown they were truly committed to Western Sydney cause at the moment they're sort of viewed as a FIFO team. They'd probably be getting somewhat better crowds doing so (maybe high teens) in a location far more relevant to their supporter base.
Blacktown's stadium isn't in a great location, being sort of in between actual suburbs with nothing around it bar parkland and other athletic facilities, although I guess they could have built a special events train station next to it.

The Showground really isn't much better though. I think the AFL really missed a trick not getting Old Kings Oval in Parramatta developed into a proper stadium. Its location next door to Western Sydney Stadium (and its predecessor) would have very convenient for logistics.

They would be averaging 5k rather than 9k if they were any further out. Very few footy fans past Homebush.

We were banned from being full time their by the Council and NSW cricket. Only reason Giants were allowed to be part of the setup was to get the state funding across the line. Once done we were told we couldnt be there full time.

Blacktown's stadium isn't in a great location, being sort of in between actual suburbs with nothing around it bar parkland and other athletic facilities, although I guess they could have built a special events train station next to it.

The Showground really isn't much better though. I think the AFL really missed a trick not getting Old Kings Oval in Parramatta developed into a proper stadium. Its location next door to Western Sydney Stadium (and its predecessor) would have very convenient for logistics.
Showground, Giants Stadium, is 1000 times better for transport, pubs, access and as a facility itself.

Transport is better? Until the metro and light rail comes in, how so?
Blacktown has a very very small carpark. That's it.
Parra would of been slightly better than Blacktown with the Station 20 mins walk from Parra Station, but car parks are more sparse then the Olympic Precinct. Would of cost a lot more to upgrade that stadium compared to Show Grounds as well. 1 thing it has over the Olympic Park precinct is things to do around the area. One day they will invest more into Olympic Park, but it is getting better.
Giants Stadium has many large car parks, multiple bus stops, taxi ranks, and a train station 4 minutes walk that is direct to one of the biggest link stations for Western Sydney in Lidcombe. The West & Sth West lines all go through it.
For transport its probably the most provided for stadium in Sydney. Will just get better with the light rail.

Blacktown has a very very small carpark. That's it.
Parra would of been slightly better than Blacktown with the Station 20 mins walk from Parra Station, but car parks are more sparse then the Olympic Precinct. Would of cost a lot more to upgrade that stadium compared to Show Grounds as well. 1 thing it has over the Olympic Park precinct is things to do around the area. One day they will invest more into Olympic Park, but it is getting better.
Giants Stadium has many large car parks, multiple bus stops, taxi ranks, and a train station 4 minutes walk that is direct to one of the biggest link stations for Western Sydney in Lidcombe. The West & Sth West lines all go through it.
For transport its probably the most provided for stadium in Sydney. Will just get better with the light rail.
We need to get over this idea of driving to stadiums. It's not the 1970s anymore. Public transport is the way now.

I've taken the train to Sydney Olympic Park and having to change at Lidcombe is annoying, just as annoying as changing to a bus for any other stadium would be. It will get better when the metro and light rail to Olympic Park come in. Hopefully that's the game changer for the Giants' home crowds.

We need to get over this idea of driving to stadiums. It's not the 1970s anymore. Public transport is the way now.

I've taken the train to Sydney Olympic Park and having to change at Lidcombe is annoying, just as annoying as changing to a bus for any other stadium would be. It will get better when the metro and light rail to Olympic Park come in. Hopefully that's the game changer for the Giants' home crowds.
Nothing to get over. Plenty of people still travel by car, you may not but allot do.
Just taking into account train travel its still the best accessed stadium in Sydney, besides maybe Campbelltown which is next door to a station.
Changing at Strathfield for a link train that operates every 10 mins is much better than the 20 plus min walks from stations you have to do for every other facility.

As for crowds, it is a multigenerational plan and being part time hurts. Others disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back