News Woosha back at Carlton in a Consultancy Role

Remove this Banner Ad

DT probably needed some advice and someone to call him out from time to time. If we put in Ross Lyon who clearly still has ambition to coach it would have been seen as undermining DT and put additional pressure on him where Woosha no longer harbours this desire so can just play a role supporting Teague.
True.
As Sellers said on a video I saw today, we have a nice coach in Teague. We need a bit more edge of a true head coach. I still feel like he is more like an assistant coach in a group of assistant coaches. I do not know where Worsfold headspace is at, hopefully he is not too mellow but he needs to bring out more from Teague of an edge if he is ever going to graduate to be a proper coach.
But if this is all we do to shake up this coaching group I think it won't be enough.
It often seems a player that becomes a coach tends to learn a lot from a coach he played a lot of his football under. For Teague that is Pagan and for me Pagan was a terrible coach at Carlton and taught the Thornton's of this world, nothing but sideways, keepings off football to avoid copping 100 point beltings. It was such a negative way of teaching players and Teague when he came to Carlton played in that team. I worry Teague has not learned to be in premiership winning football cultures and maybe that is why I not seeing enough edge in development of this team. Maybe he is just too nice and does not know what premiership winning football cultures are like to replicate.

I hope Teague has been shaken up and develops as a coach. He probably has this season to truly develop and if Worsfold mentorship does not work it not only probably means the end of Teague as a head coach it also should mean the likes of people that appointed him have to accept the blame and step down too.

All I can say is I hope it works out for all.
Developing Teague to step up to make it as a genuine good coach is certainly the right approach to take in this present time, rather than giving up on him or sacking him mid season. Carlton just cannot afford to ruin so much invested to this point. Changing approach is the best move right now.

Last edited:

Needed to happen but wouldve preferred Lyon. Could've helped bring a harder edge and a better defensive mindset.
Not Lyon.
His game plan is outdated.
He can wreck Collingwood next year

I don’t have a problem with it at all, call the appointment whatever you want but to me it’s about gaining an independent review through the eyes of someone who is in a position to know and understand the nuances of the modern game. He’ll report back to the board no doubt with an informed position of what’s right and what’s wrong, areas you just cannot expect the majority to know, they’re mostly businessman not professional footballers.

There’s nothing wrong with Constant review and change until you find the magic potion. I’d be more concerned about inaction, which is what effectively happened for 15 years.

The board are also doing reviews on list management and development programs, they’re not leaving any stone unturned to make the club great again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’ve been screaming out for an independent review after what I’ve been seeing on field. This is not what I envisioned. Woosha, unfortunately, has obvious biases and he’s only 1 man. This is the saviour complex that I was scared would happen. I was calling for the same sort of review that Adelaide had not too long ago. Not this.

The training wheels have arrived. What a joke this club is!

Not trying to oppose you here, just curious, why are they are joke for trying to address a clear issue?

What would you prefer, keep going the same course or start swinging the axe across the whole coaching department?

Needed to happen, Teague has shown that he struggles to make tough decisions and maybe he is too close to his player's. Of course he is not that much older than them. Woosha will help him to mature into a more hard-nosed coach. I really like David and hopefully he will be senior coach for many years and go on to taste the ultimate success. I think John will help him immensely.

Not trying to oppose you here, just curious, why are they are joke for trying to address a clear issue?

What would you prefer, keep going the same course or start swinging the axe across the whole coaching department?
This is not addressing the issue, it’s just deflection and spin. Woosha won’t hurt us but he’s just an addition to a sinking ship.

True.
As Sellers said on a video I saw today, we have a nice coach in Teague. We need a bit more edge of a true head coach. I still feel like he is more like an assistant coach in a group of assistant coaches. I do not know where Worsfold headspace is at, hopefully he is not too mellow but he needs to bring out more from Teague of an edge if he is ever going to graduate to be a proper coach.
But if this is all we do to shake up this coaching group I think it won't be enough.
It often seems a player that becomes a coach tends to learn a lot from a coach he played a lot of his football under. For Teague that is Pagan and for me Pagan was a terrible coach at Carlton and taught the Thornton's off this world, nothing but sideways, keepings off football to avoid copping 100 point beltings. It was such a negative way of teaching players and Teague when he came to Carlton played in that team. I worry Teague has not learned to be in premiership winning football cultures and maybe that is why I not seeing enough edge in development of this team. Maybe he is just too nice and does not know what premiership winning football cultures are like to replicate.

I hope Teague has been shaken up and develops as a coach. He probably has this season to true develop and if Worsfold mentorship does not work it not only probably means the end of Teague as a head coach it also should mean the likes of people that appointed him have to accept the blame and step down too.

All I can say is I hope it works out for all.
Developing Teague to step up to make it as a genuine good coach is certainly the right approach to take in this present time, rather than giving up on him or sacking him mid season. Carlton just cannot afford to ruin so much invested to this point. Changing approach is the best move right now.

This has always been my concern with our current bunch of coaches.. Almost al of the best coaches have played in successful teams under hard ruthless coaches.. If you look at our lot Teague, Stanton, Barker.. 3 guys who have been surrounded by mediocrity there entire careers.. Only Luke Power played at a succesful club and Dale Amos played a minor role when Geelong were winning flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t have a problem with it at all, call the appointment whatever you want but to me it’s about gaining an independent review through the eyes of someone who is in a position to know and understand the nuances of the modern game. He’ll report back to the board no doubt with an informed position of what’s right and what’s wrong, areas you just cannot expect the majority to know, they’re mostly businessman not professional footballers.

There’s nothing wrong with Constant review and change until you find the magic potion. I’d be more concerned about inaction, which is what effectively happened for 15 years.

The board are also doing reviews on list management and development programs, they’re not leaving any stone unturned to make the club great again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Except imo the way the position has been outlined ( very part time) .
Theres no way he is going to have enough involvement in day to day goings on of the coaching structure and decision making to make informed recommendations to the board ? .

Dont get this ,why him? Underwhelming appointment in my eyes.
He won a flag 15 years ago and with the players he had nearly any half decent coach wouldve won it,what has he done since of note?
Underwhelming?

Stacks up ok to me, took the drug cheats to two finals series....with an ordinary list.

Woosha.JPG

You know i love the harsh banter between our big inflated ego clubs, sometimes i laugh, sometimes i cry... I truly took a gut punch after the Adam Saad thing and after accepting it thought "well you've got to hand it to the Blues" they are making moves!

But...

Worsfold played us like a fiddle though (All be it our idiot CEO let him). Between the no one speak to me Mark Neeld is one of the best fiasco, his phone in players coach themselves coaching, learning's learnings learning's BS, he was a disaster in the end.

We needed leaders and leading, we got headless chicken syndrome and an entitled player faction split.

Good luck fella's but i don't know about this one after last years positive trajectory you were on.

Rumour from farcebook, according to a former player at our club. Teagues mother in-law is seriously ill and he may have to take a short leave of absence very soon. Sounds plausible, Woosha may be needed for more than just a mentor role very soon.

Sellers said that on his appearance on 360 about Teague's mother in law, so legit.

Anyone but Barker thanks CFC.

You know i love the harsh banter between our big inflated ego clubs, sometimes i laugh, sometimes i cry... I truly took a gut punch after the Adam Saad thing and after accepting it thought "well you've got to hand it to the Blues" they are making moves!

But...

Worsfold played us like a fiddle though (All be it our idiot CEO let him). Between the no one speak to me Mark Neeld is one of the best fiasco, his phone in players coach themselves coaching, learning's learnings learning's BS, he was a disaster in the end.

We needed leaders and leading, we got headless chicken syndrome and an entitled player faction split.

Good luck fella's but i don't know about this one after last years positive trajectory you were on.
Yeah, Saad must have been a bitter "PILL" for you to swallow.

Last edited:
Like the theory of the appointment as its clear that our coaches arent getting the best out of the group .
But unless he is going to be meaningfully involved on game day dont see too much benefit in this .
The way the appointment has been outlined its very part time is it any different to what Walls was doing ?.
Imo you simply cant make strong recommendations on the back of little real involvement on match day atleast .

His coaching credentials are leagues ahead of our whole group combined. His experience and knowledge will benefit this group, no doubt in my mind.

How much will they take on board though is my query. Also, is this purely as an advisor to the coaching group, or will he report some of his findings/thoughts to the board?

I would find it more beneficial if he does some of the latter.

Rumour from farcebook, according to a former player at our club. Teagues mother in-law is seriously ill and he may have to take a short leave of absence very soon. Sounds plausible, Woosha may be needed for more than just a mentor role very soon.
Not necessarily rumour as Slobbo mentioned this earlier in the week, something along the lines "not to kick a bloke while he's down but his MIL is not faring too well"

Don't think we can blame COVID for this one, Geth. Club had two years before 2020 to replace Neil Craig.
More, it meant that we didn't get to make these calls when cold, considered; making the right decision based on the available evidence and looking for the candidate with the right experience and attributes.

Now, we're making a call based in part on a name and the feeling that we must do something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back