Roast Matt Rendell Vendetta against Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

"I've just a put a team together of your 17-year-olds who'll be sick of living up in the land of the falafel in western Sydney playing in front of a 12,000-seat stadium that's still not put up,"

Thats what he said. Do you think that is appropriate or neccessary?

Not appropriate or inappropriate. What's wrong with falafels? He was right. The people in that area were never likely to embrace Aussie rules. If Les Murray had said soccer will never succeed in the land of four n twenty pies and barbies, would you be offended?

well except for the dramatic stuff, I've been saying this for a few posts....not that you're a racist, but white folk should really keep their opinions to themselves and simply do the common courtesies when it comes to their interactions with indigenous people.

What are you talking about? I can give my opinion on a subject regardless of my race. Indigenous people are happy to tell us how to behave and what to say as is their right and we have every right to have an opinion about any subject. What are the common courtesies? Are you suggesting indigenous people are special or have an insight we are lacking? Should indigenous people watch what they say about white culture as they have no real understanding of what it is to be white?

Regarding your first part, I think it is impossible for me to know the various nuances of how to say things or how to talk about the topic. I'd like to see some basic guidelines about things relating to common decency and fairness - not abusing, access to services.....right across the board. I think your idea of reconciliation is beyond what the general populace is capable of. It's like trying to run, without learning to stand up properly. It also expects a certain level of interest and advocates often use terms like "learning" and "education". I've got a lot to learn about a wide variety of things in life.

IMO ...

... it’s about identity. Who are we as a culture? It’s a conversation that we have with ourselves all the time. It continuously evolves. IMO the current problems with reconciliation are that it continues to be a discussion about ‘us’ and ‘them’ ... from both sides.

Look at NZ - sure, the are people who are ethnically Maori, but despite that, Maori culture is embraced and owned by all New Zealander’s, regardless of ethnicity.

IMO reconciliation won’t work in this country until Indigenous culture is accepted by a critical mass of non-indigenous folks as part of their own national identity, and that the indigenous community are prepared to let that happen.

They don't say they have an indigenous heritage. They identify as indigenous. That is very different and you know it. Why? It seems being indigenous might be perceived as advantageous by some people which completely shatters the lie that we are still oppressing our indigenous people.

Eddie didn't apologise because he said racist stuff. Eddie apologized so he could maintain his reputation and status and continue to rub shoulders with the rich and powerful and remain in his media roles. The social media mob would have made this impossible had he told them to shove it and refused to apologise as anyone with a spine and integrity would have done. The jellyfish apologized for saying he wished Caro would stay under the water if she went down the slide on the Queen's Birthday MND fundraiser. Why? We all say lines like this about people we don't like. Yet he was accused of encouraging violence against women. It was an utter farce. I wish X would take a long walk off a short pier is a traditional comment made by Aussies about people they don't like. It was taken as nothing more than a statement about your opinion of the X, not an actual threat of violence until the SJW mob saw yet another opportunity to take down someone they hated.

Eddie of course gave a groveling apology (as he always does) and donated money to White Ribbon. His apologies are meaningless.

I hate to break it to you but until we all ship off to other places we still are oppressing the indigenous community. Whats the solution? I don't know. I hope we can find a solution.

Normalising or joking about violence against women is a big no-no. It is not ok, nor has it ever been. He was wrong.

I'm not sure why you are supportive and dismissive towards Ed's imappropiate comments about domestic violence and racism? Do you support them?

What are you talking about? I can give my opinion on a subject regardless of my race. Indigenous people are happy to tell us how to behave and what to say as is their right and we have every right to have an opinion about any subject. What are the common courtesies? Are you suggesting indigenous people are special or have an insight we are lacking? Should indigenous people watch what they say about white culture as they have no real understanding of what it is to be white?

i'm not making suggestions for people like you, domie. I doubt anyone could shut you up. However, if you just walked away and agreed to keep your opinions to yourself, it would improve the general situation.

I hate to break it to you but until we all ship off to other places we still are oppressing the indigenous community. Whats the solution? I don't know. I hope we can find a solution.

Normalising or joking about violence against women is a big no-no. It is not ok, nor has it ever been. He was wrong.

I'm not sure why you are supportive and dismissive towards Ed's imappropiate comments about domestic violence and racism? Do you support them?

McAllister was laughed at, Eddie lost the presidency and Rendell lost his job..... what more can be done?

People defended Alan Macallisters comments.

People defended Eddies comments.

People defended Rendell's comments.

Can you see the pattern?

Changing your thinking and opinions is hard, challenging and confronting. Challenge yourself

I'm assuming this is specific to the racist comments attributed to all of the above rather than a broader observation. With that in mind, happy for you to show me where I've defended Ed's comments on Goodes, or even his W/Sydney gaff. Happy for you to show me where I've defended McAlister on anything, I was never a fan. Can you see a lack of a pattern? The generalisations that get thrown around about racism are as much a part of the problem as the confected rage of a largely non-indigenous group who think they're fighting the good fight.

Last edited:
IMO ...

... it’s about identity. Who are we as a culture? It’s a conversation that we have with ourselves all the time. It continuously evolves. IMO the current problems with reconciliation are that it continues to be a discussion about ‘us’ and ‘them’ ... from both sides.

Look at NZ - sure, the are people who are ethnically Maori, but despite that, Maori culture is embraced and owned by all New Zealander’s, regardless of ethnicity.

IMO reconciliation won’t work in this country until Indigenous culture is accepted by a critical mass of non-indigenous folks as part of their own national identity, and that the indigenous community are prepared to let that happen.

I understand what you're getting at, but surely you understand and acknowledge that the greater majority of people are not interested in "embracing" indigenous culture as their own. There's a lot of people who dont even talk to their neighbours. I love the lofty goals thing. I love the romance of it. However, the average person in the street is concerned about their mortgage, getting more stuff, getting a better job, getting their kids through school yada yada.

And the other point that I was making is not only is there a lack of interest in getting "educated", it is such a minefield that it's just not possible for the average white person who isnt significantly invested in the process...which is most.

Talking about kiwis, I'm sure you remember an IQ program run by Eddie all those years ago. People in the audience were divided into groups - teachers, public servants, models, Kiwis. In the end, the Kiwis got the lowest IQ on average. I think they ran the show again at a later date, but they didnt have a separate group for Kiwis.... I thought I would share that lol

I'm assuming this is specific to the racist comments attributed to all of the above rather than a broader observation. With that in mind, happy for you to show me where I've defended Ed's comments on Goodes. Happy for you to show me where I've defended McAlister on anything, I was never a fan. Can you see a lack of a pattern? The generalisations that get thrown around about racism are as much a part of the problem as the confected rage of a largely non-indigenous group who think they're fighting the good fight.

It was a broad observation trying to highlight that when people defend racist comments because of whatever "reason" or "intent" hindsight always proves them wrong.

I don't know what your opinions are of McAllister or McGuire but their comments were racist and inappropriate and indefensible.

This is just embarrassing....

Cringeworthy stuff. Stop being a hypocrite and leave this stolen land . You must lead by example. You remind me of the welcome to country phonies who think by simply acknowledging they are on stolen land everything is okay. If you truly believe that land belongs to a particular tribe, get off it and give it back.
You do understand that every country on the planet has been conquered, occupied and ruled by a variety of tribes and nations?
Why don't we all move to Mars?
I know that indigenous tribes dispute ownership of land between the different tribes.
America has the same problem. Many native American tribes invaded and stole territory from other tribes and often enslaved the people they conquered.
Who does the land belong to?
It's a messy , complex issue. I don't think we are oppressing anyone in 2021. We are spending billions of dollars on indigenous health and education. Hardly the actions of an oppressive regime.
Perhaps you are personally oppressing indigenous people.

Last edited:

Inappropriate comments about domestic violence? What a sad world we live on today. So desperate to twist anything into an act of oppression.
If he had made the same comment about Mike Sheehan you would not have given a stuff. What a farce.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm not making suggestions for people like you, domie. I doubt anyone could shut you up. However, if you just walked away and agreed to keep your opinions to yourself, it would improve the general situation.
Says the man who has made thousands more posts than me.

Cringeworthy stuff. Stop being a hypocrite and leave this stolen land . You must lead by example. You remind me of the welcome to country phonies who think by simplyvacknowledging they are on stolen land everything is okay. If you truly believe that land belongs to a particular tribe, get off it and give. It back.
You do understand that every country on the. planet has been conquered, occupied and ruled by a variety of tribes and nations?
I know that indigenous tribes dispute ownership of land between the different tribes.
America has the same problem. Many native American tribes invaded and stole territory from other tribes and often enslaved the people they conquered.
It's a messy , complex issue. I don't think we are oppressing anyone in 2021. We are spending billions of dollars on indigenous health and education. Hardly the actions of an oppressive regime.

If its meaningless to acknowledge that europeans took over indigenous land, then why not acknowledge it. It just means keeping your opinions to yourself when they do the welcome to country thing. It's meaningless to you but it brings happiness to others. We call it being a part of a society.

You always take the fundamentalist point of view and an obsession about not being a hypocrite..... look at the rest of your life and you'll probably find that you make a lot of concessions to the righteous position. Have you ever bought something from China? Well that's supporting an oppressive regime.... the list goes on and on..

Says the man who has made thousands more posts than me.

but you're the guy with the principles. I'm offering never to state an opinion on indigenous issues if that helps. I just need to find someone who is an expert on indigenous issues to tell me that I'll be helping by doing that.

I understand what you're getting at, but surely you understand and acknowledge that the greater majority of people are not interested in "embracing" indigenous culture as their own.

That can change

A lot of proud Australians who haven’t picked up a cricket bat since high school follow the fortunes of our national cricket team. In a few months a huge number of Australians will follow the fortunes of our national Olympic team across many sports they know nothing about. People will proudly talk about national medal tallies, and new heroes and heroines they’d never heard about a month earlier.

People can start taking an interest in all kinds of things ...

... but it needs to be accessible and people need to feel included.

And the other point that I was making is not only is there a lack of interest in getting "educated", it is such a minefield that it's just not possible for the average white person who isnt significantly invested in the process...which is most.

Yeah, agree.

It's no different to what was the issue in the first place. Some stay and some don't.

Rendell obviously wanted a fix for the issue which is a tick. He was obviously insensitive with how he conducted himself in doing it.
This a a deeper issue and he would have been better served (and even round up the other clubs), to strongly suggest the AFL (if they weren't already looking at it), to basically invest resources in having the best and most appropriate advice for longer lasting outcomes.

It seems some clubs have been doing it better than others for a few years now. Whether it includes creating the right environment (both at club and outside the club) with the assistance/advice of retired indigenous players or mentors or whatever. And then again, it may not be right for every kid.
Regarding Rendell it's a matter of being genuinely engaged on the issue, saying 'I just said it the wrong way' is the same as saying 'I didn't think of the effect of my words on what I already knew was a sensitive issue'.
Again it's about respect, if you respect the sensitivities of the 'target people' then you make sure you say EXACTLY what you mean.

Cringeworthy stuff. Stop being a hypocrite and leave this stolen land . You must lead by example. You remind me of the welcome to country phonies who think by simplyvacknowledging they are on stolen land everything is okay. If you truly believe that land belongs to a particular tribe, get off it and give. It back.
You do understand that every country on the. planet has been conquered, occupied and ruled by a variety of tribes and nations?

This post, more than anything, is a brilliant example of why it's important to pay attention in school and read the odd book.

Jesus Christ.

Rendell doesn't have a vendetta - it's not that personal or complicated.

He's an old hand in the game that's worked at multiple clubs - he doesn't give a crap about club loyalty, his job and passion was talent ID.

He's trying to make it now in the media and he's not a moron - he realises that the best way to get his mug in the paper and on the radio is to talk about his most recent employer and say the odd sensationalist thing.

Before you get angry at him for "spilling club secrets! Oh the shock and horror!" just realise that nothing he says actually matters. View it through the prism of an old man looking for attention in a competitive shock jock world and move on with your life - don't give him, or any other clickbait bullshit, a second of your time.

Theres no need for discussion, Rendell made racist comments and suggested further systemic racist systems be put in place to benefit himself and his employer under the umbrella of helping indigenous players.
Al Gore: “If we don’t make drastic changes to our carbon emissions the polar ice caps will melt by the year 2040!”

BIGNEDKELLY: “Al Gore said we should melt the polar ice caps by the year 2040!”

Rendell doesn't have a vendetta - it's not that personal or complicated.

He's an old hand in the game that's worked at multiple clubs - he doesn't give a crap about club loyalty, his job and passion was talent ID.

He's trying to make it now in the media and he's not a moron - he realises that the best way to get his mug in the paper and on the radio is to talk about his most recent employer and say the odd sensationalist thing.

Before you get angry at him for "spilling club secrets! Oh the shock and horror!" just realise that nothing he says actually matters. View it through the prism of an old man looking for attention in a competitive shock jock world and move on with your life - don't give him, or any other clickbait bullshit, a second of your time.

Be that as it may ...

... it’s still poor form to publicly take a pot shot at an ex-colleague.

If its meaningless to acknowledge that europeans took over indigenous land, then why not acknowledge it. It just means keeping your opinions to yourself when they do the welcome to country thing. It's meaningless to you but it brings happiness to others. We call it being a part of a society.

You always take the fundamentalist point of view and an obsession about not being a hypocrite..... look at the rest of your life and you'll probably find that you make a lot of concessions to the righteous position. Have you ever bought something from China? Well that's supporting an oppressive regime.... the list goes on and on..

If I stood at a podium and said "I would just like to acknowledge that this bike I'm riding and the house I currently live in was actually stolen from Jack Smith down the road" and then went on with the ceremony feeling all virtuous and warm because I admitted publicly that I am living in a house I stole then surely it would be appropriate for others to say "Well, why don't you give it back to him?" It's a cheap stunt designed to make the speaker and those gathered feel righteous and noble without having to actually do anything. That's why it shits me.

We cannot change the past. We are doing everything in our power to redress the wrongs committed by our ancestors, but saying we are living on stolen land is ridiculous. Any look into the history of any nation will quickly make you aware of the fact that all of them have a history of invasion and constant changes in who holds the power and control. We can only live in the present and I think we have done an admirable job of trying to make things right with our indigenous brothers and sisters.

I'm sure I wear clothes made in China and I have never condemned anyone for wandering into Kmart and buying a tshirt without investigating its origins. What irks me is when LeBron James constantly refers to America as an oppressive, racist country and constantly condemns the police and Republicans while refusing to say a word about the country which has contributed most to the wealth of the NBA and its players- a country, which as you rightly point out, is a truly monstrous dictatorship. He actually defends China and refuses to criticize its government. That is a very different kettle of fish.

Be that as it may ...

... it’s still poor form to publicly take a pot shot at an ex-colleague.

Absolutely, but hardly anything new in football.

He weighed up his worth as a talent scout against what he could be worth as a media dial-a-quote and thought it'd be easier to just say something controversial every other week.

I liked the club's statement defending its man, but ultimately, it has given Rendell and his comments more oxygen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back