News Club to launch external review of football department!

LOL. Lots of people here saying we need to be less "Old Carlton" then in the same post advocating for "Sack The Coach".
Old Carlton...

Had culture & a brand
was ruthless,
was uncompromising,
were winners,
were feared,
were respected

Made people accountable, yes sacked coaches that included Parkin, Walls, Jezza.

Overturned Boards, Pushed out rogue Presidents Harris, Elliot even.

Yep Old Carltons the problem.

Lets compare New Carlton...

No culture or brand
Not ruthless
Struggle to win
Not respected

A little bit of old Carlton wouldnt go astray right now...

And Im not alone in this thinking, the boys on the Prendercast are all over this topic.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Never as bad, never as good

I sense that the doom and gloom around here is purely based on the likelihood of missing finals, I get it.

Under Teagues current gameplan, tactics, selection consistency and player positions, I would agree he might not be the coach to take us forward

But what happens if he starts addressing these after the bye and output/results improve?

We know where things were in 2019, we improved in 2020, but we were inconsistent. While the 1st half of 2021 has been tough,/frustrating, there is still time to turn things around

The back half of the year will be telling for the club and Teague
2020 our best win probably was Geelong but my recollection of the season was giving up massive starts, or plenty of "teagues gift" games which we all still lament...

Or losing to Collingwood, Hawthorn and wooden spoon Adelaide

Or chairing off Gibbs...

I think we tread water last year, and now at best doing the same

A delicate issue but one that will be looked at is this dual captaincy nonsense. We need a single leader IMO. The problem being how do you amicably split up the captaincy should this arise?
Remove Cripps and Doc from the captaincy. Ask the players and coaching staff to nominate replacements (Cripps and Doc ineligible). Put the top three to a vote, most votes wins the job. Process to vetted by a leadership consultant, candidates interviewed to ensure suitability.

Old Carlton...

Had culture & a brand
was ruthless,
was uncompromising,
were winners,
were feared,
were respected
cheated the system, got caught and were penalised to the extent we are still feeling the consequences - yeah, old carlton is really what we need today.....

No culture or brand
Not ruthless
Struggle to win
Not respected

And Im not alone in this thinking, the boys on the Prendercast are all over this topic.

some omissions are more obvious than others........

Remove Cripps and Doc from the captaincy. Ask the players and coaching staff to nominate replacements (Cripps and Doc ineligible). Put the top three to a vote, most votes wins the job. Process to vetted by a leadership consultant, candidates interviewed to ensure suitability.
No voting. Not a popularity contest.

In the Board's opinion at least. :D But when we hear about factions still acting out....Mr Pokies behind the scenes etc it may be contributing to divisiveness.
A sense of entitlement coming from older players may (just for example) stem from what they've been told by certain people.
That kind of thinking can really permeate the culture of a place.
Isnt this exactly the issue tho.

Mr.Pokies isnt on the board, rules by proxy.

Dont believe me? Remind me why we flew Shiel to GC in his private jet with Judd as a recruitment strategy?

Board needs to cut the cord with these types.
The clearing of the debt, should hopefully stop us being beholdent to these types.

Otherwise, be nice if he steps up and goes on the board so he can be made accountable for his decisiom making and meddling.

2020 our best win probably was Geelong but my recollection of the season was giving up massive starts, or plenty of "teagues gift" games which we all still lament...

Or losing to Collingwood, Hawthorn and wooden spoon Adelaide

Or chairing off Gibbs...

I think we tread water last year, and now at best doing the same

Beat the Dogs comfortably too and if not for a kick after the siren, Port.

But extremely inconsistent

The Gibbs act has been overplayed, will be forgotten in about 12 months

Think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that we may have slightly regressed to the Lions of 2018, with beating teams below us and being competitive with sides above us

Gee, let me think, flees Poland pre World War 2, a journalist, philanthropist, supporter of the arts, sports, sciences, mother, daughter, wife, advocate of women's rights, carlton fanatic who rarely misses a game. I will say, she hasn't kicked a football ever so yeah, why is she persisted with?

"On occasion, her perspective conflicts with the club's other board members. "I love stars in football but I am the only director who does. They keep blathering on about 'A champion team will always beat a team of champions', which is all good and well, but if you're not winning, if you're not a champion team, you've got to give the public something to look at. She's a firm believer that clubs need stars. "You can't put on a show with no stars and it's the same with football," she says.

"She's thrilled to see the growth in female directors across the AFL ("I was the first at Carlton until Kate Jenkins' appointment a few weeks ago"), a huge fan of Caroline Wilson ("She knows more about football than any of the men") and worries about the physicality of the game ("Every footballer I know gets injured") If Carlton fields a women's team in 2017, Pratt will sponsor it. She hasn't held back from letting a coach or three know what she thinks needs to be done to get Carlton on track"

We butt heads Thy, but no issues with Jeanne, she sits on the board and makes herself accountable.

Did I read somewhere Anthony is replacing her? Id be ok with that.

Dont believe me? Remind me why we flew Shiel to GC in his private jet with Judd as a recruitment strategy?

The clearing of the debt, should hopefully stop us being beholdent to these types.

Otherwise, be nice if he steps up and goes on the board so he can be made accountable for his decisiom making and meddling.

Didn't think it was Mathieson's private jet?

Beat the Dogs comfortably too and if not for a kick after the siren, Port.

But extremely inconsistent

The Gibbs act has been overplayed, will be forgotten in about 12 months

Think I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that we may have slightly regressed to the Lions of 2018, with beating teams below us and being competitive with sides above us
Fair enough.

The dogs are interesting, as we belted them under Bolton as well. We clearly match up well against them...

Obviously aware of this years loss, but first half was playing out same as previous years

Didn't think it was Mathieson's private jet?
My recall could be wrong. But definitely a private jet. Doubt it was the Pratts given they sit on opposite factions.

Regardless, i do also recall for all that, the.AFL made us put the cost of it into the cap.

And even more embarassingly, Shiel cited as his reason to join Essendon, was his desire to learn the property game and their connections with Schiavello.

Now we can now say Shiel, might have been a lucky miss given his output at the Dons.

But given MLG runs a property development company, and plenty of other prominent Carlton people do to, you'd think we could match the off field lure.

It would be nice if he disappears and it would not be nice if he got on the board.

Old Carlton...

Had culture & a brand
was ruthless,
was uncompromising,
were winners,
were feared,
were respected

No culture or brand
Not ruthless
Struggle to win
Not respected

Im not saying I'm against the logic either. I find it funny that people are just parroting what others are saying about no more old Carlton and then advocating for Sack the Coach without looking at all areas.

Old Carlton
Had culture & a brand - Sure did and I wish we still did
was ruthless, - Nothing wrong with this
was uncompromising, - Totally and we should be
were winners, - Love for it to happen again
were feared, - That would be nice
were respected - Again that would be nice

Made people accountable, yes sacked coaches that included Parkin, Walls, Jezza. - Thats fine. I don't mind if people lose their jobs for not hitting KPI's, which in this case would be wins. However, I am not convinced that Teague is the problem, and I am on the fence as to whether or not he is. I don't think he has the right people around him for us to know.

No culture or brand - Agreed
Not ruthless - Agreed
Struggle to win - Agreed
Not respected - Agreed

* But lets add a few more shall we...
Looks for easy option (messiah) - Pagan, Malthouse, Judd, SOS, AR, Buttifant. - Hasn't worked
Didn't evolve with the times like other - Got left behind in fitness and List Management
Hasn't really developed a lot of inhouse talent like they should - Why?
Didn't invest heavily into VFL like they should have - Hopefully this is changing

Assistant coaches play a massive part in the game and the way we/everyteam play. Get em right and it can make things click and revolutionise a team.

I was a massive fan of the backline (Amos) under Bolton. But, it would appear that he is not clicking with Teague for whatever reason, this needs to be investigated and resolved, one way or another. Happy for the review to look into this and please explains or sackings issued based on the outcome.
1 vs 1 Defence, whose idea was that... Massive Please explain.

The MC needs to be looked at as we are forever not putting out the right people in the right positions, Teague is only a part of this. Again the review needs to look into this.

Our defensive side of the game is horrendous on all lines. Why? Our tackling is deplorable. Why?

Our Forward structures as stupid, no one moving and dumping the ball onto anyones head is not the right option. Why are intercept players in the right position and our guys not? Again Forwardline coach and gameplan need to be looked at.

Lots of issues and this does not indicate one person being the problem IMO.

So review and take it serious.

No more Messiah options, they have not worked for us. Pagan, Malthouse, Judd, SOS, AR, Buttifant. It is as much a team in the coaches ranks as it is on the field and neither are clicking.

We have the players, So lets look at fixing the directions they are being given and who they are getting them from. Teague didn't pick the Assistants. IMO letting him have a hand in it might not be the worst thing in the world, let him flourish or hang himself.

Don't wanna see the same thing happen as what happened when we got rid of Ratts, Malthouse comes in and we know how that worked out. Would it be different with Clarko or Ross, I'm not convinced.

I'd rather empower our guys to be/do the best they can, and if they are not up to it. BYE.

Heaps on the Teague Train when he was caretaker (I was not one of them), and then he hits a rough patch and everyone turns on him. Maybe we look at why the problems have occured before pulling the trigger on the Head coach. If it is him, then sack him. But I'm not convinced.

Back