Review Round 10, 2021: Essendon v Box Hill, Sunday 11.05am Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Harahan showing what I've been saying for a while.

He's a midfielder being forced to play as a small forward.

Mitchell finally put him in the middle in the last and his reading of the tap was far away better than anyone else there.
It’s an interesting point. It’s probably the best I have seen Hanrahan look at any level.

Mitchell finally put him in the middle in the last and his reading of the tap was far away better than anyone else there.
If the kid committed to the dedication, preparation and required fitness, he would be very capable at AFL level. If he does that then…..absolutely !!! Does not want it enough. Hope he can turn it around.

Mark McKenzie is doing a good job so far, im happy we have some good talent coming through
And Noah Anderson is coming along nicely too.

Feels like we are seeing some benefits of much needed list churn. We didn’t plan to have bramble, Jai, callow on the list but the unplanned retirements of scully and Patton and Sicily LTI have added some new players that look promising. I feel we’ve been a bit hesitant to turn players over (eg players like Ollie and nash have been kept around when other clubs may have moved them on + only added 4 players across ND and rookie draft in 2019 and 5 in 2020) so hopefully gives the list management team some confidence to be a bit bolder.

If the kid committed to the dedication, preparation and required fitness, he would be very capable at AFL level. If he does that then…..absolutely !!! Does not want it enough. Hope he can turn it around.
Yeah this is the issue. Midfielders can’t be finishing in the bottom 4 of time trials and 3 years in the list

He finishes at the back of all the time trials every time doesn't he and doesn't seem to have anywhere near the tank to play midfield? I also think he was drafted from StKevs as a forward/mid, rather than a permanent onballer. Lastly, always dangerous to make assumptions abouT players in bhh games that we easily win. Howe had 31 touches the other week for BHH and looked like Josh Kelly from the Giants. Anyway, hopefully this is a sign of Ollie's development and maturity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Screenshot_3.jpg

Great game. Watched it on Kayo Free.
These guys are a lot of fun to watch (and with our injury list dwindling, there's a truck-load of listed players to keep an eye on).
Too much to talk about for one post, but things that caught my eye ...

Maginness was very good (though again seemed more concerned with tagging/tackling than acquiring the ball). Have read a couple of posters talking down Finn, but I reckon Sammy rates him. And with good reason.
Downie is going to improve our senior team, but I can see why they are not gifting him games. Was sloppy with his field kicking at times (though I have zero doubts on his kicking going forward - sensational action, and has been very solid in recent games). Best thing about Downie is that he has improved his ability to receive the ball under pressure, and release a sound handball (he was a touch slow and was getting physically monstered earlier in the year).
Reeves was beaten by Phillips in the ruck, I thought, but got better as the match wore on.
Jeka again looked classy but was slightly less of a focal point with an extra big boy up forward demanding the ball (Callow).
Callow is a brute. Played pretty well, but it is his physicality which stands out. Will take on the role of protector for the smaller players - whether the coaches ask him to or not.

One final note: the way the players got around Maginness when he kicked his first was great to see, and typical of the group. These guys love playing with each other (no sooking about playing the level below).

I have chopped up some highlights while watching the game (but missed the 1st quarter and had to rely on Kayo's).. Excuse any editing glitches.

Last edited:
View attachment 1159871

Great game. Watched it on Kayo Free.
These guys are a lot of fun to watch (and with our injury list dwindling, there's a truck-load of listed players to keep an eye on).
Too much to talk about for one post, but things that caught my eye ...

Maginness was very good (though again seemed more concerned with tagging/tackling than acquiring the ball). Have read a couple of posters talking down Finn, but I reckon Sammy rates him. And with good reason.
Downie is going to improve our senior team, but I can see why they are not gifting him games. Was sloppy with his field kicking at times (though I have zero doubts on his kicking going forward - sensational action, and has been very solid in recent games). Best thing about Downie is that he has improved his ability to receive the ball under pressure, and release a sound handball (he was a touch slow and was getting physically monstered earlier in the year).
Reeves was beaten by Phillips in the ruck, I thought, but got better as the match wore on.
Jeka again looked classy but was slightly less of a focal point with an extra big boy up forward demanding the ball (Callow).
Callow is a brute. Played pretty well, but it is his physicality which stands out. Will take on the role of protector for the smaller players - whether the coaches ask him to or not.

One final note: the way the players got around Maginness when he kicked his first was great to see, and typical of the group. These guys love playing with each other (no sooking about playing the level below).

I have chopped up some highlights while watching the game (but missed the 1st quarter and had to rely on Kayo's).. Excuse any editing glitches.

Thankyou pal. Much appreciated.

Ollie looks sharp as a mid. His lack of size is probably the show stopper for him.

I like Finn's hands, very clean down low. He looked like he was tagging Number 60.

Massive improvement in Saunders game. Again lack of size will work against him but nice to see a hawk who can run.

DGB won't be playing too many games at BHH.

Ollie looks sharp as a mid. His lack of size is probably the show stopper for him.

I like Finn's hands, very clean down low. He looked like he was tagging Number 60.

Massive improvement in Saunders game. Again lack of size will work against him but nice to see a hawk who can run.

DGB won't be playing too many games at BHH.
Query whether we give Ollie one last shot? Agree can’t see him being a mid.
But wouldn’t mind seeing him and saunders buzzing around the flanks for a game or two rather than Moore or chad (who are better footballers but nowhere near as quick) just to give us a different look. They might be actually able to catch their opponent.

It’s a shame DGB is only just returning as would have been a good match up for Jones.

Ollie had the ball on a string in the last quarter. Given we are screaming out for some midfield zip, I find it peculiar that he is not a starting mid. He'll never make it in the AFL as a forward as he can't jump and can't beat a direct opponent. He needs to be in broken play. He's been on our list since 2016. His lack of a tank should have been resolved three years ago.

Ollie had the ball on a string in the last quarter. Given we are screaming out for some midfield zip, I find it peculiar that he is not a starting mid. He'll never make it in the AFL as a forward as he can't jump and can't beat a direct opponent. He needs to be in broken play. He's been on our list since 2016. His lack of a tank should have been resolved three years ago.
I saw one of his first ever games not long after he got drafted and coincidentally against Essendon. He played midfield all game then and was 2nd BOG behind Miles. Him and Pitto dominated Bellcho.

Since then he's been typecast as a small forward because, as Tops puts it, he doesn't prepare well enough.

I find it hard to believe that those 3 finished in the bottom 4 for time trials after their third preseason.

Utter rubbish re Mitchell. Remember going out to Linda Crescent to watch a preseason session in 2002. Boys did a two lap time trial which is roughly 900 metres give or take. As expected, Timmy Clarke brained the field, Crawford was around second around 20 metres behind and 3rd was Sam Mitchell - daylight to fourth and the remaining list. It became patently clear at that point that Mitchell was training his ass off both in the gym and on the track and was set to have a massive season which he obviously did. For someone as unathletic as he is, he turned himself into an elite midfielder who could run all day

Hallahan has far superior athletic attributes to Mitchell and arguably just as good skills. His poor showings on the track are clearly a lack of desire to get the most of himself. A good source has told me straight out that his work ethic at St Kevins was really poor. Said he was a is a good kid but just liked mixing his sports (elite cricketer) and didn't have the burning desire to succeed at any one individual sport. His younger brother is apparantly worse so no surprises he wasn't drafted despite having the talent.

Perhaps the penny has finally dropped for Ollie?? - if so well worth perservering with as evidenced on Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back