Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Some recent media reports suggest Teague will still be coach in 2022, but the club is trying to bring in stronger assistants like Chris Newman, who is doing a great job at Hawthorn/Box Hill Hawks.
Hopefully that is what will happen..

Not sure why people keep rolling out this Dimma/Thompson comparision when both had relatively good performance reaching finals before one poor season, there is a significant point of difference.

Because they were external reviews into the footy department.
If we follow Lethal's line of thought, they should have just resigned due to the review occurring, regardless of previous performances or review findings.

I can’t understand this desperation to retain a coach that’s shown very little game day footy IQ & oomph.
Progress is stagnant and no evolution for some time, players seem almost disinterested too.
I can’t see the logic in upgrading assistants only, is it to give a semblance of competency to our coaching department? appease disgruntled supporters ?
simply, reckon our head coach just ain’t got it.He may improve over time, but can the club navigate another 3 to 4 lackluster seasons?
Review is urgent hopefully and will be diligent , without errors or omissions.

Last edited:
What would be the point of the review if very little changes, clearly a pointless exercise as some have stated in our last 22 games we are clearly one of the worst performing teams on the back of large contracts for players from other clubs & many players on our list that are in a phrase were they should have reached a peak level of performance in their career journey.

Almost every respected figure Brown/Riewoldt/Lewis/Healy have flagged major issues that require significant change.

I never said we didn't need a review but I also think that there is a reasonable chance that the results may be predetermined.

You don't think the commentary by those you've named and more wouldn't influence the review panel before a pen is put to paper?

Also much too early to call the contracts of imported players a poor decision.

I can’t understand this desperation to retain a Coach that’s shown very little game day footy IQ & oomph.
Progress is stagnant and has been for some time, players seem almost disinterested too.
I can’t see the logic in upgrading assistants only, is it to give a semblance of competence in our coaching department? appease disgruntled supporters ?
simply put , our head coach just ain’t got it. He may improve over time, but can the club navigate another 3 to 4 lackluster seasons?

Not seeing a lot of desperation to keep the coach?

I can’t understand this desperation to retain a Coach that’s shown very little game day footy IQ & oomph.
Progress is stagnant and has been for some time, players seem almost disinterested too.
I can’t see the logic in upgrading assistants only, is it to give a semblance of competence in our coaching department? appease disgruntled supporters ?
simply put , our head coach just ain’t got it. He may improve over time, but can the club navigate another 3 to 4 lackluster seasons?

If you look at the voting on the "Teague in or out" thread only 25% of us think that he should be retained. I reckon few, if any, would be voting for him to be given an extension or even allowed to carry on next year at this stage, merely that he shouldn't be sacked after less than two seasons.

Not sure that many could also be accused of desperately wanting him retained either.

I wonder if Lethal and Blighty reckon Dimma should have walked at the end of 2016? Or Bomber Thompson in 2006?
We have to win 4 more games to level what Richmond did in 2016 and 6 to be near what bomber did in 2006.... The comparisons to those 2 coaches in particular are not apt or appropriate.

We have to win 4 more games to level what Richmond did in 2016 and 6 to be near what bomber did in 2006.... The comparisons to those 2 coaches in particular are not apt or appropriate.

That wasn't their point though.
Lethal was of the view that the fact that there is a review is reason enough for Teague to resign.

Geelong and Richmond were external. Collingwood in 2017 also.

Geelong had Parko as consultant but the review was led internally

The Richmond one was internal.

The clubs still trusted those within the club to still make the right decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they were external reviews into the footy department.
If we follow Lethal's line of thought, they should have just resigned due to the review occurring, regardless of previous performances or review findings.
Bang.

Sorry Stamos my error, no external footy people though, wouldn't be such concern if Ernst and Young was assisting the club conduct the review.

Given Sayers' background, that part is probably less important for us. Two of the panel members are administrators (Lowe with vast experience in other sports). Cook brought in Parkin.

The other aspect is, even if we sack Teague, how much advantage is it to us for him to go now? The Footy department has already been slashed, and Barker is gone. Whatever the outcome of the review, I can't see Teague's resignation as being good for anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back