Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in wrong thread:

I didn't like Teague's presser today.
For reason that he isn't being upfront and honest with fans and stakeholders about WHY we suck so badly.
I actually would respect the guy more if he came out and said "you know what, my game plan, it didn't work, and now we are adjusting to a new style, and it will take time, I put my hand up it was my fault"
Assuming that is the main reason why we are so poor, which is my view.
His presser was very far from honest.
He was asked about Doc and he just said positive things. Come on man, Doc has been poor. And he is a captain.

Posted this in wrong thread:

I didn't like Teague's presser today.
For reason that he isn't being upfront and honest with fans and stakeholders about WHY we suck so badly.
I actually would respect the guy more if he came out and said "you know what, my game plan, it didn't work, and now we are adjusting to a new style, and it will take time, I put my hand up it was my fault"
Assuming that is the main reason why we are so poor, which is my view.
His presser was very far from honest.
He was asked about Doc and he just said positive things. Come on man, Doc has been poor. And he is a captain.

I think the bolded is the key sentence in your post, specially the bit after the comma.

This is your view and obviously Teague thinks what he is doing is right regardless of the outside noise. If he were to say what you want to hear then he may as well follow it up by resigning. He'll probably sink or swim on his structures and game plan. You may not like it but it shows a lot more courage IMO to do that than to buckle under the pressure applied by those who just want him to fail.

I didn't think it was a bad presser BTW but I do wish he'd find a different phrase than "we've gotta get better".

Passing on responsibility is pretty standard play in any zone based system where players are asked to 'be' in certain places and take responsibility for that space - passing on responsibility to team mates in other space according to game situation -you see this all the time in zone based systems of play for example in soccer where the midfielders typically hunt in groups of three with one dropping off and another coming in - depending on where the play is moving.

my view of what is going on is that the system Teague is trying to employ is missing the most important part of the system and that is defined 'groups' of players all hunting together in attack and defence according to where the contest is on the field at any point in time.

If you watch better drilled teams- you will see that typically 2-4 players are all running in unison and working as a sub team in any particular contested area - the defensive set up at the contest involves a combination of stopping players and players on the outside of any contest ready to either recieve in advantage if the ball is won or defend opposition outside recievers.

Carlton looks to me to have a 'sort of' zone system in place but lacks the player sub team connectedness to deliver effective attacking or defensive transitional (ie moving) play. This is why Carlton players are often 'looking' like they are running to the wrong space or running away from where they should be or could be - it is keystone cop type movement all too often and why the team plays like a bunch of diconnected individuals rather than playing to a discernable defensive or attacking system - Carlton players look confused as much as organised - everywhere.

Part of the problem is that there has been very little consistency in terms of where players are expected to play - we have players rotating through multiple positions in game and if you have too much of this - it makes the posiitonal and combinational play difficult to achieve.

eg our defensive transitional play with ball in hand compared to most teams is sub par both in general play and through kick ins - diablolically poor. Our defensive structure and execution in typical high ball entry situations plays into the hands of opposiiton as eg Jones in particular continues to punch the ball into the corridor - exactly where opposition players are runnng into instead of punching laterally - at least giving opposiiton less direct entry opportunity

In attack the major problem continues to be an over reliance on Harry's marking power and a belief that territorial gain via long bombs is a preferred method to create forward pressure opportunity - when in fact to well drilled defensive structures- all it does is provide either an intercept mark or ground ball turnover and rebound opportunity - witness the ease by which opposition exits forward fifty.

To me - Carlton has not progressed its system of play into a reliable and predictable set of strategies - all that has happenned is fitter more developed and more talented players are being asked to play school boy football - with a reliance on individual briliance to carry the day - which is why it is always hard work for the team - we are missing method.

When you have both skill/execution error as well as structural challenges with implementing and playing to a system - you have to look to the game plan and coaching of it in order to improve. My problem with this - is that we have been witnessing the same lack of progress and in fact I would argue deterioration for a long time now - which points to serious football department issues for want of a better expression.

Great post mate, thanks for that.

A lot to digest but I like and appreciate the in depth analysis.

Great post mate, thanks for that.

A lot to digest but I like and appreciate the in depth analysis.
tske it with a grain of salt mate- it is just my view.
- bottom line is I think the team has been plagued by injury and that combined with new players affected continuity for a long time now. However, the method by which they are being asked to play needs serious review/attention that and baffling team selection policy are my three main areas of issue.

tske it with a grain of salt mate- it is just my view.
- bottom line is I think the team has been plagued by injury and that combined with new players affected continuity for a long time now. However, the method by which they are being asked to play needs serious review/attention that and baffling team selection policy are my three main areas of issue.

I did hear something recently that at least one player mentioned confusion in terms of game plan and it does beggar belief that the team continues to lose in the same way week after week.

Absolutely agree re team selection/player positioning and this obsession Teague has with players being able to play multiple positions (in my time on this planet people seem to work best when they have a defined role they can sink their teeth into and work on).

Lets hope this review nuts all this out.

funny take on a snippet in this video. Listen to the comments from Eddie regarding Luke sayers, then as a camera pans out to caro
it catches lyon giving maguire a little wink and wry grin.

comment 2.25, grin and wink 2.45

Or maybe the club grows up and realises they need to stop making the same mistakes they have over the last 2.5 decades and actually back the decisions they have made without buckling to pressure every time.

Well if the club made good decisions in the first place perhaps they wouldn’t continually find themselves under pressure.
It was clear in Judd’s “training wheels” comments what the clubs thoughts were re the new coaching appointment but then … “the Teague train”
What a bloody joke !!
And here we are …

Well if the club made good decisions in the first place perhaps they wouldn’t continually find themselves under pressure.
It was clear in Judd’s “training wheels” comments what the clubs thoughts were re the new coaching appointment but then … “the Teague train”
What a bloody joke !!
And here we are …
Spot on & succinctly put, media and manic supporters crucified Judd when he made the non populist comment, after all what would a champion footballer consumate professional, director of football department really know about footy?
Its this petty, parochial fanaticism, playing to the gallery attitude that will get us nowhere fast.
Luke Sayers must be a strong, determined and focused leader, with passion and much patience it’s going to take time.

Spot on & succinctly put, media and manic supporters crucified Judd when he made the non populist comment, after all what would a champion footballer consumate professional, director of football department really know about footy?
Its this petty, parochial fanaticism, playing to the gallery attitude that will get us nowhere fast.
Luke Sayers must be a strong, determined and focused leader, with passion and much patience it’s going to take time.

I absolutely gave it to Judd - not because of the view he expressed but because he expressed it in public - there was no need whatsoever for him to make the comment for public consumption just as there was no need to sack Bolton halfway through a season with no preparation for replacement options on the table - - all that was on Mr Lid-El and his marketing agenda re Bolton and his political agenda against SOS and for his mate(s) -people need to be able to connect the dots as to what was going on back then - because the better option back then is probably still the #1 option if Teague is to be replaced - today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You really think this is a good enough post to warrant repeating a couple of minutes apart on two threads?

Don't forget to post it to Teagues email, sure he'll be happy to respond.
Was good enough for you to respond to....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Reading some of the comments on this board today, including in this thread, you'd think ot was all doom and gloom and not a good day for the club at all.

Some people are never happy

What if we win on Sunday ?
How that’s relevant If we win on Sunday ??
Wc and swans were the game changers and the team and Teague buckled !! And let’s not talk about the witches hat performance from last week
The rest of the season is for just for Murphy show (apparently one week in the reserves and he has worked out all his flaws )

How that’s relevant If we win on Sunday ??
Wc and swans were the game changers and the team and Teague buckled !! And let’s not talk about the witches hat performance from last week
The rest of the season is for just for Murphy show (apparently one week in the reserves and he has worked out all his flaws )
Of course it is relevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back