Universal Love David Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Passing on responsibility is pretty standard play in any zone based system where players are asked to 'be' in certain places and take responsibility for that space - passing on responsibility to team mates in other space according to game situation -you see this all the time in zone based systems of play for example in soccer where the midfielders typically hunt in groups of three with one dropping off and another coming in - depending on where the play is moving.

my view of what is going on is that the system Teague is trying to employ is missing the most important part of the system and that is defined 'groups' of players all hunting together in attack and defence according to where the contest is on the field at any point in time.

If you watch better drilled teams- you will see that typically 2-4 players are all running in unison and working as a sub team in any particular contested area - the defensive set up at the contest involves a combination of stopping players and players on the outside of any contest ready to either recieve in advantage if the ball is won or defend opposition outside recievers.

Carlton looks to me to have a 'sort of' zone system in place but lacks the player sub team connectedness to deliver effective attacking or defensive transitional (ie moving) play. This is why Carlton players are often 'looking' like they are running to the wrong space or running away from where they should be or could be - it is keystone cop type movement all too often and why the team plays like a bunch of diconnected individuals rather than playing to a discernable defensive or attacking system - Carlton players look confused as much as organised - everywhere.

Part of the problem is that there has been very little consistency in terms of where players are expected to play - we have players rotating through multiple positions in game and if you have too much of this - it makes the posiitonal and combinational play difficult to achieve.

eg our defensive transitional play with ball in hand compared to most teams is sub par both in general play and through kick ins - diablolically poor. Our defensive structure and execution in typical high ball entry situations plays into the hands of opposiiton as eg Jones in particular continues to punch the ball into the corridor - exactly where opposition players are runnng into instead of punching laterally - at least giving opposiiton less direct entry opportunity

In attack the major problem continues to be an over reliance on Harry's marking power and a belief that territorial gain via long bombs is a preferred method to create forward pressure opportunity - when in fact to well drilled defensive structures- all it does is provide either an intercept mark or ground ball turnover and rebound opportunity - witness the ease by which opposition exits forward fifty.

To me - Carlton has not progressed its system of play into a reliable and predictable set of strategies - all that has happenned is fitter more developed and more talented players are being asked to play school boy football - with a reliance on individual briliance to carry the day - which is why it is always hard work for the team - we are missing method.

When you have both skill/execution error as well as structural challenges with implementing and playing to a system - you have to look to the game plan and coaching of it in order to improve. My problem with this - is that we have been witnessing the same lack of progress and in fact I would argue deterioration for a long time now - which points to serious football department issues for want of a better expression.
I love well thought-out and reasoned posts, but my ADD will simply not allow me to get through this one...o_O

If they did, I not losing any sleep over it if you going to keep picking Newnes and not develop O'Brien and Honey as more important priority.
It tells me how out of alignment the thinking is with what we drafted.
Yep. Has me scratching my head week in, week out (no - it's not nits). When ARE we going to play our recruits? Newnes is a VERY average footballer. He should be there as depth whilst we develop our young guns, yet we keep picking these recycled players instead of our draftees?

Yep. Has me scratching my head week in, week out (no - it's not nits). When ARE we going to play our recruits? Newnes is a VERY average footballer. He should be there as depth whilst we develop our young guns, yet we keep picking these recycled players instead of our draftees?
They'll get to the end of the year and have, maybe, a few games under their belt and the club no clearer if they are any good or not. We know what Newnes/Murphy will give us....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

They'll get to the end of the year and have, maybe, a few games under their belt and the club no clearer if they are any good or not. We know what Newnes/Murphy will give us....

Not sure how you're spinning that given recent form...:think:

I do think if we lose Teague's papers will be stamped. Really important game for our coach.
Board already have enough data on Teague to make a call.
Win or Lose this game is irrelevant...

We have already fallen short in all the important season defining games (same as 2020) against Sydney, West Coast and Giants..
At this stage of our rebuild beating bottom 8 sides should be a given.. Not something we hope we can celebrate :eekv1:

Beating top 8 sides should be the only relevant goals coming home...
All the rest of the games should focus on blooding kids and waiting for the 2021 circus to end...

Board already have enough data on Teague to make a call.
Win or Lose this game is irrelevant...

We have already fallen short in all the important season defining games (same as 2020) against Sydney, West Coast and Giants..
At this stage of our rebuild beating bottom 8 sides should be a given.. Not something we hope we can celebrate :eekv1:

Beating top 8 sides should be the only relevant goals coming home...
All the rest of the games should focus on blooding kids and waiting for the 2021 circus to end...
I am not sure the Board's mind is made up on Teague but i am of the opinion a loss this weekend would.

I dont think anyone is suggesting beating bottom 8 sides is something to be celebrated.

I do agree we should be using the remainder of the season to see which young players can actually be part of our best 22 going forward. It is a worry we dont know if LOB, SPS or Dow are long term players. I think we should give each of them a block of 7 or 8 games and play them in the position they were recruited for and tell them this is the opportunity for you to cement a spot in the starting 22 for next season.

What if these inclusions actually play well and "play their role"?

"Play the kids, hurr durr". Who knows what these kids are providing in training, maybe they're still not showing enough whereas the Newneses and now Murphys have their heads into gear.

Yes Crows were last year's wooden spooners - they beat last year's grand finalists and more top 8 sides than us so as far as I'm concerned they're a tough side who we need to play at our best for, so if our inclusions can help sure things up around the contest and at the back, we'll be a chance.

I don't think there's 20 David Teagues posting on BigFooty, but I know there's more than 20 toxic, negative sods in our fanbase looking for unnecessary blood.

Last edited:
I was almost resigned to seeing Newnes & Murphy back, so boring David !!
Teague and MC must see something that they can bring.
At least SPS is back, Dow & Stocker doing OK.
I am just really struggling with our coach steering the ship at the moment and comprehending his team selections, would love to see LOB and Honey in and seeing what they bring moving forward, can anyone provide insights as to why he won’t give these guys a crack ? Go Blues !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do I get the feeling many here want us to lose to increase the pressure of Teague?

You would have to be a rather spiteful fan to want that.

Can Understand wanting to lose for draft pick/trading reasons (not that I agree with it), but actively cheering against your team so the coach gets sacked is pathetic form imo.

And I am not naming names or accusing anyone here, but I am almost sure that is what some either here or on social media are thinking.

Why do I get the feeling many here want us to lose to increase the pressure of Teague?

Can Understand wanting to lose for draft pick/trading reasons (not that I agree with it), but actively cheering against your team so the coach gets sacked is pathetic form imo.

And I am not naming names or accusing anyone here, but I am almost sure that is what some either here or on social media are thinking.

The movement against Teague now is most likely occupied by a lot of those who were on the Teague Train 2 years ago who are impatient and can't wait for proper process to be followed. They will now make demands of the club as loudly against him as they did in favour of him. Hopefully, this time the club is less reactive than when it appointed him.

By the way, I wouldn't excuse hoping the team would lose to get a higher draft pick either. No team has ever benefited from doing so in terms of building a team that was single-minded in its desire to succeed.

ya think?

By the way, I wouldn't excuse hoping the team would lose to get a higher draft pick either. No team has ever benefited from doing so in terms of building a team that was single-minded in its desire to succeed.

Well Melbourne were charged with tanking and now sit on top of the AFL ladder.
Be interesting to see how they go in September …

Well Melbourne were charged with tanking and now sit on top of the AFL ladder.
Be interesting to see how they go in September …

10 years later? Most of those players they picked up with the high draft picks they tanked for aren't part of the current team.

Projection is a psychological defense mechanism in which individuals attribute characteristics they find unacceptable in themselves to another person or persons.

I'm not sure about wanting us to lose, but a lot of people would like it to be obvious either way.

My greatest preference would be to win the 9 remaining games, make the 8 and win all finals = Teague stays.

Second preference would be we are a much improved side and go something like 7 and 2 = Teague stays.

If we go 4 and 5 or similiar, with nothing shown from the younger blokes where does that leave us?

So then there is the preference that it is really obvious as soon as possible that we need to move on from Teague - so that we know we have to, and we do. Unfortunately that is facilitated by clearly underperforming.

Whilst it shouldn't be anyone's preferred option, it is probably better than having no idea what we should do.

I'm not sure about wanting us to lose, but a lot of people would like it to be obvious either way.

My greatest preference would be to win the 9 remaining games, make the 8 and win all finals = Teague stays.

Second preference would be we are a much improved side and go something like 7 and 2 = Teague stays.

If we go 4 and 5 or similiar, with nothing shown from the younger blokes where does that leave us?

So then there is the preference that it is really obvious as soon as possible that we need to move on from Teague - so that we know we have to, and we do. Unfortunately that is facilitated by clearly underperforming.

Whilst it shouldn't be anyone's preferred option, it is probably better than having no idea what we should do.
I'll take 4 and 5 at this stage.....

Can Teague honestly put his hand on his heart and say Murphy & Newnes are the best selections for the Carlton FC moving forward after everything we’ve seen so far that’s OK if he believes it, but for one reckon it’s borderline negligence and I don’t want him around anymore
Murphy absolutely is.
He deserves to get to 300, and isn't so terribly out of form.
Honey or lob should be in for Newnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back