Analysis Jack Macrae Is Officially The Most Underrated Player In The AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I am predicting both of these players are ready to hit their prime and over the next 3-5 years both of them will be AA. Missed out this year, but Jack will get his rewards in the future.
40580910_295874331224263_4690606025311518720_n.jpg
No sign of Tim English there.
I reckon he's gone

1st - Hunter 191 votes
2nd - Macrae 190 votes
3rd - Bontempelli 154 votes

One vote, ouch

Only up by 8 votes at the end of R8 is stunning, especially with Hunter missing R5.

Again nothing wrong with Hunter winning, but just doesn't feel right when looking back on the year.

Jesus Christ, someone recognise him, please

Nope, let him keep flying under the radar as much as possible. Internally he knows just how highly he’s rated & that’s what really matters

One could make an argument that it's actually Lachie Hunter, not Macrae, who has been the player most underrated by the fans and media.

Tonight will obviously change a lot of people's perceptions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea why Macrae doesn’t have a Sutton medal around his neck. Second year in a row he’s been robbed.

Nope, let him keep flying under the radar as much as possible. Internally he knows just how highly he’s rated & that’s what really matters
He would've won the BnF in a canter if he was highly rated internally

#underrated

#farcical

One could make an argument that it's actually Lachie Hunter, not Macrae, who has been the player most underrated by the fans and media.

Tonight will obviously change a lot of people's perceptions.
Nah

Hunter was ok this year and was probably our 4th or 5th best imo, but far too often still fell into bad habits at times by butchering the ball going inside 50 or pissfarting around with it for far too long around half forward thus allowing time for our forwardline to be swamped by opposition defenders.

I'd like to see him play more direct and instinctive, something Jack has worked on big-time since 2016 and is a great feature of his game now. Imo Lachies 2016 was far better than this year.

Did anyone watch his speech? Did he look/sound disappointed?

In past interviews he's always seemed more concerned with team success rather than individual accolades, so maybe it's just us who are bothered by the last two years.

Nah

Hunter was ok this year and was probably our 4th or 5th best imo, but far too often still fell into bad habits at times by butchering the ball going inside 50 or pissfarting around with it for far too long around half forward thus allowing time for our forwardline to be swamped by opposition defenders.

I'd like to see him play more direct and instinctive, something Jack has worked on big-time since 2016 and is a great feature of his game now. Imo Lachies 2016 was far better than this year.
QED ;)

Did anyone watch his speech? Did he look/sound disappointed?

In past interviews he's always seemed more concerned with team success rather than individual accolades, so maybe it's just us who are bothered by the last two years.

Only fans give an over the top crap about individual awards. Players are more concerned with winning premierships, individual awards are a bonus, recognition for efforts over the season. Nothing wrong with hoping to win one, and you're allowed to feel disappointed at missing out because they are great honors to have. Players who only care about individual awards are the sh*test blokes to be around. Look at Ronaldo for example, bloke probably makes love to his own mirror reflection and sleeps with his trophies. Macrae will be disappointed but will move on fast and not care about it in the end, will turn his attention to 2019 and being even better.

He was our best player this year though and deserved an AA spot, but injuries play a part and cost him in the end, that's football.

Only fans give an over the top crap about individual awards. Players are more concerned with winning premierships, individual awards are a bonus, recognition for efforts over the season. Nothing wrong with hoping to win one, and you're allowed to feel disappointed at missing out because they are great honors to have. Players who only care about individual awards are the sh*test blokes to be around. Look at Ronaldo for example, bloke probably makes love to his own mirror reflection and sleeps with his trophies. Macrae will be disappointed but will move on fast and not care about it in the end, will turn his attention to 2019 and being even better.

He was our best player this year though and deserved an AA spot, but injuries play a part and cost him in the end, that's football.

I disagree. I think Macrae is a guy who does care about this stuff.

He should have won and he’s completely within his rights to be gutted about it.

I disagree. I think Macrae is a guy who does care about this stuff.

He should have won and he’s completely within his rights to be gutted about it.
If you read it again Fronk, I said players can want to win individual awards, and have the right to feel gutted if they miss out, as its a nice recognition. There are some players who will be pissed off about it in 10 years, some players who will dwell on it for a couple of weeks. Macrae will be the latter, will feel gutted surely, but will move on and bounce back quickly. If you're only in the game for individual recognition you're in it for the wrong reasons. He missed out because of injuries, not because he wasn't the best player, everyone knows he was. Injuries are part of the game and impact all awards, its life. He will win one eventually. The only ones who will be talking about it for the next 12 months will be us fans.

Last edited:
I was surprised he wasn’t even on the leadership panel last year. I like Hunter but McCrae is twice the player Lachie is. The trainers gave their award to Jack too. Sometimes there might not be enough votes to give in a game. That game in Ballarat we barely won over Gold Coast, Jack was HUGE, he personally won us the game, but he probably get maximum votes, then in some lacklustre team performance someone has to get maximum and maybe Lachie got votes in those sort of games? I find it very perplexing???

Well done jack macare. Equal most consecutive games 30+ possessions (and on the list twice) will break the record and make it an impossible take to beat.

absolutely phenomenal. An outstandingly consistent player, makes everyone better.

very grateful to watch in the red white and blue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back