Opinion Unpopular Opinions: Dons Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

We absolutely do not need to sell the farm for a big bodied midfielder (whatever that actually is) AND none of the recent successful teams had many, if any, of them anyway!

It was also my point. 🤔

The reality is that you need a mix of strategies depending on your list and who is available that would complement it.

If you’re anti-draft, anti-trade, anti-FA or whatever then you’re being ideological rather than practical, which often leads to circular arguments, and that really is boring.
This needs to be sticky'd in the trade/FA thread.

Jake Stringer will miss out on a contract with Essendon by asking for too much.

He ends up at Carlton and plays in a flag before Essendon return to the finals

We should wear red shorts as much as possible. Especially with our clash kit.

Yep, we should be wearing red shorts with it.

We should also produce a third kit, white, with a red sash and black highlights.

Still wear the black and red every single chance we can (probably at least 16 times a year), but the ship as sailed on the other games. Let’s make the most of it and have two alternative strips and wear the best contrast – we’ll sell more too.

This Sydney heritage one-off looked really good. We should claim it. With black cuffs and black outlines on the sash.

1625635376140.png

Brayden Ham will make it as a player (100-150+ games)

The other thread reminds me...all things being equal, I doubt Essendon 2000 wins a flag against any of Brisbane (01-03), Geelong (07-11), Hawthorn (13-15), and Richmond (17-20). I wouldn't count on Collingwood (10-11) or Sydney (12-14) either.

2000 was a very weak season (as was 1999 - look at the shite playing in the 1999 GF). Injuries in 2001 covered up the reality that the game had started to change and we didn't have the midfield to compete with the Lions. The loss of Caracella, Heffernan and Blumfield also diverted from the reality of a midfield that couldn't really compete. We barley had 1 A grader playing midfield (Mercuri did little from 2000 and played forward, Hird played forward as much as midfield). The Lions had 4 in 1 team and star KPPs (to match ours).

1993 is a much more remarkable flag given the quality of the competition. The other finalists:

- Carlton, 2nd, was very strong with flags in 87 and 95;
- Adelaide, 3rd, had what was basically a state team it was given upon entry to the AFL;
- West Coast, 4th, had its state team following entry to the league, played GFs and won flags in 91, 92, 94;
- Hawthorn, 5th, finished second and was the end of the 80s dynasty with a flag as recent as 91;
- North, 6th, finished the season 5th and that team went on to play prelims from 94 to 99 (including 2 flags).

Outside the finals the Geelong side that made GFs in 89, 92, 94 and 95 finished 7th. In 1992, Footscray finished second and played in a prelim, Collingwood finished 3rd and St Kilda finished 6th (with more points than we had at the end of 93).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thread reminds me...all things being equal, I doubt Essendon 2000 wins a flag against any of Brisbane (01-03), Geelong (07-11), Hawthorn (13-15), and Richmond (17-20). I wouldn't count on Collingwood (10-11) or Sydney (12-14) either.

We were four goals off beating Brisbane 01 with Hird and Mercuri injured, Long and Wallis not in the team. The 2000 team would have beaten Brisbane 01.

We were four goals off beating Brisbane 01 with Hird and Mercuri injured, Long and Wallis not in the team. The 2000 team would have beaten Brisbane 01.
Fletch injured too.

The decision to become a tenant of Docklands has traded long term growth and viability for short term financial gain.

The decision to leave Windy Hill was wrong, and choosing Tullamarine was the worst of the options presented at the time.

Our refusal to budge on the Guernsey has limited our ability to be a leader in the AFL with away strips and alternative strips and has led to us caving anyway and creating horrible clash strips that no one finds appealing.

We haven't had a superstar player since Matthew Lloyd retired.

Essendon has been kissed on the dick by the umpiring department for far too long, and the fact we can't take this advantage to win more tight games is an indictment on the entire organisation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back