Autopsy Round 18, 2021: St.Kilda v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearances we were -5, contested possessions -7. We got a bit of uncontested ball but unless we're winning it in the contest and surging forward, we don't have the polish to do much with it.

I hear that expression surging it forward a lot but it doesn’t necessarily do anything. Our inside 50 efficiency is really poor and that could be the ability of our midfielders to hit targets.

Leo Connolly with the lace out pass to Marshall was a thing of beauty. A low dart that the defender could do nothing about. That’s what I’m talking about!!!

Yeah well good luck eliminating idiots from society.
If someone is willing to pay my partner 900k a year I'd be more than happy to ditch social media thank you very much.
Or she can just change her settings to private and not expose herself to the general public. It's really very effing easy, you just have to forego vanity and narcissism and the rest takes care of itself.
IIRC she's a TV personality or something, so I suppose she'd view it as part of the job nowadays. I know I'll sound like an old fart saying this but media people didn't have social media accounts in the decades before social mdit existed and they did ok.

Maybe it's time for us to understand the direction this type of communication is taking our society and move past it.

Still, no victim blaming. We can think any stupid s**t we like, but keep the hurtful locked inside those big thick skulls, or at least away from people it will hurt. It is not constructive criticism it will not help anyone in any way. Keep it to yourself and spare the rest of us, we don't want to see that s**t.

Trading has been bloody good if you take away depth picks.

Steele was a magnificent pick up. Higgins looks good, Membrey is a good player, Steele, Crouch, Jones, Howard and Ryder the best of them. Wood has a had a good few weeks too. Carlisle, Kent, Frawley, Hill, Hanners, Mc Kernan not so good. Roberton was a gun too actually. Do we have the largest number of ring ins of any side ever?

There's a reason why clubs advise players and their family not to engage people on social media or seek out opinions on themselves.

For every 100 people blowing smoke up your ass there will be 10 that get really stuck into you.

If you need the validation then you're going to really suffer from the trash that gets thrown.
Only have to look at the big public figures from Scomo , Trump etc - I would love to know the % of there hate posts

IIRC she's a TV personality or something, so I suppose she'd view it as part of the job nowadays. I know I'll sound like an old fart saying this but media people didn't have social media accounts in the decades before social mdit existed and they did ok.

Maybe it's time for us to understand the direction this type of communication is taking our society and move past it.

Still, no victim blaming. We can think any stupid sh*t we like, but keep the hurtful locked inside those big thick skulls, or at least away from people it will hurt. It is not constructive criticism it will not help anyone in any way. Keep it to yourself and spare the rest of us, we don't want to see that sh*t.
I get blown away when I go anywhere people are trans fixed on there phones , like as though they are addicted.
Even in shops where people are meant to be working they have there eyes fixed on the phone.

I wonder if there will be articles about freo missing out on Georgiades like there was about us with Naughton and King

Most won't know this but there is a massive back story to how freo missed him. Just a huge clusterfu** of a mistake.

Cmon, spill please lol

I get blown away when I go anywhere people are trans fixed on there phones , like as though they are addicted.
Even in shops where people are meant to be working they have there eyes fixed on the phone.

A lot of us are addicted. More of us should be focusing on being able to kick with both legs so when Saints get desperate by running out of players, we’ll have it covered.

Why do people feel the need to tell others they should get off social media. There was only one problem about what happened and it wasn’t hills partner be on social media.
The points being made are not mutually exclusive. In principle everyone without exception should feel free and comfortable to be on social media (God only knows why you'd want to but that's a different question)..........and because of that same freedom there are unacceptable morons that spew out their bile as well ..they too have a freedom of sorts(somewhat unfortunately) to make it unpleasant to say the least.

If you are a person of profile such as player or a partner and you choose to exercise your freedom you run the risk of these morons finding you a target. If we had a way of stopping it such as a dump button then perhaps there would be a pragmatic solution to the problems attached to that principle which would to some extent see your freedom is protected. We don't and as such if It were me and my partner was copping it I would certainly consider not using the social media and put it down to a price that I pay for the profile of my occupation. One then argues why should you be forced too. Obviously that is a truth.

However when it comes to such a cornerstone value being violated, that is racial abuse of any kind we have to become quite militant in voicing our loudest protest ...we will not accept it! ...even perhaps to the extent of isolating and identifying these repeat offenders. However, then policing that becomes fraught with a myriad of problems. That's why eventually education and advertising 'ad nauseam' tends to work best. In that regard it then becomes a personal responsibility to be aware. An awareness so prevalent that it strangulates the voice that is persistent with its malicious bilious racist diatribe. I guess that's where we are heading. Unfortunately not quite there yet!

Steele was a magnificent pick up. Higgins looks good, Membrey is a good player, Steele, Crouch, Jones, Howard and Ryder the best of them. Wood has a had a good few weeks too. Carlisle, Kent, Frawley, Hill, Hanners, Mc Kernan not so good. Roberton was a gun too actually. Do we have the largest number of ring ins of any side ever?

If we are talking trading, and not just players from other clubs:

Membrey, Robbo and Crouch, McKernan and Frawley were free agents.

Wood was a supplemental pick.

So trades were Steele, Higgins, Hill, Kent, Jones, Howard, Ryder, Carlisle, Hanners....plus Butler. Bruce was a a pretty good player for us, but losing him effectively gained us Jones.

The points being made are not mutually exclusive. In principle everyone without exception should feel free and comfortable to be on social media (God only knows why you'd want to but that's a different question)..........and because of that same freedom there are unacceptable morons that spew out their bile as well ..they too have a freedom of sorts(somewhat unfortunately) to make it unpleasant to say the least.

If you are a person of profile such as player or a partner and you choose to exercise your freedom you run the risk of these morons finding you a target. If we had a way of stopping it such as a dump button then perhaps there would be a pragmatic solution to the problems attached to that principle which would to some extent see your freedom is protected. We don't and as such if It were me and my partner was copping it I would certainly consider not using the social media and put it down to a price that I pay for the profile of my occupation. One then argues why should you be forced too. Obviously that is a truth.

However when it comes to such a cornerstone value being violated, that is racial abuse of any kind we have to become quite militant in voicing our loudest protest ...we will not accept it! ...even perhaps to the extent of isolating and identifying these repeat offenders. However, then policing that becomes fraught with a myriad of problems. That's why eventually education and advertising 'ad nauseam' tends to work best. In that regard it then becomes a personal responsibility to be aware. An awareness so prevalent that it strangulates the voice that is persistent with its malicious bilious racist diatribe. I guess that's where we are heading. Unfortunately not quite there yet!
Make the platform owners responsible for content. Make them publish the identity of perpetrators, makes them responsible for their words.,
The problem disappears in a heart beat. Not doing so is just condoning it.

Largest number of ring ins of any side ever - I would say it was Nth when the grabbed Doug Wade , Cable , Rantall , Blight , Glendinning , Barry Davis , Brent Croswell and these are just the stars who were recruited that won them the flag in 75 , the following years they picked up additions in Keenan etc.

If we never got players into the squad from trades St Kilda would most probably be in Tassie now.

Our team has just about got the list to win a flag because of it.(couple missing pieces a CHB and CHF)
Steele is just brilliant , Crouch is a A grade player , Hill no matter what anybody says is a class outside runner who we were screaming out for and will only get better the more wins we get.
Jones seems to have vastly improved on the days he was at the Swans and even his kicking.
Higgins is just like a key forward the way he plays and would be a lock in the Tigers side the way he has played.
Butler has had a shocker of a year but any small forward to kick 30 odd goals a couple times is far better than any small forwards we have.
Howard is just another fantastic selection and god knows what we would do without him.
Wilkie , Highmore are another 2 good ones.

With King , Gresham , Coffield , Clark , Paton , Connolly , Byrne , Bytel , Sinclair , Battle , Marshall

This is 20 players who basically will be at the club for the next 4yrs

These guys could easily not be at the club next year

Ryder / one injury away from retirement
Ross / looked at the Bombers last year could move for more coin
Billings / wants more money
Dunstan / wants out
Lonie / we have to many small forwards
Hannerbery / one season left but could be put on the long term injury list

These guys will be gone
Roberton
Frawley
Geary
Carlisle
Hunter
Alabakis
McKernan

Which leaves us with 6 kids to pick up in the drafts

If Billings , Dunstan and Lonie walk we could well pick up a couple experienced players as well - who they get will have a big influence on next year.

I can see this at a country/provincial level...not at a first class level. That's what I'm saying, in an AFL environment, if you can't execute on your non preferred then you should be getting up to speed quick smart in your own time. Not the teams time
Well you would have to ask the question why a professional sportsman has not done it in their own time, the coach should be asking that. This especially applies to players who have spent yrs on a club list and in and out of the 1's due to inadequate skills. Why were they recruited in the first place?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could say the same about your mate Seb though. That era of Saints are flaky. I'm not really attached to any of them these days. They are a boring side.
Membrey gives far more attack to our team than Ross does, his skill set is far more unique too. Seb is a much quieter leader too. He will make two teams better when he leaves, not many can say that. Unless we hold onto him until he is delisted out of the game like we did with Armo. Membrey is a big reason we beat the Lions and his leadership seems to have improved a lot in the last few years.

I know what you mean anout that gen of Saints player, probably the only ones I'd keep would be Membrey and Sinclair, plus maybe Webster and Lonie for depth.

Pretty good summary. I could tell at the start that we were not quite right and they had done their homework. I think ratten was outcoached by Hinkley as well. We badly underestimated some of their newer players. Karl Amon really hurt us again. Bottom line, we didnt play all that well and forward line was well beaten.

Bit stiff on Ratts. I reckon that he made some calls that gave us every chance to win i.e. small backline, zoned off through the guts to allow slow movement around the boundary and heavy inside game. If we were a little better than terrible going i50 and with set shots we wouldve won, not to mention those ridiculous turnovers late from Sincs and Hill.

Out of curiosity, what did Hinkley do that out foxed ratts? Re Amon... dmac going down crucified that match up...

Max looked shedloads better last week up the ground. Ridiculous asking him to stay close to goal.
I don’t remember him doing any of his best work at all last week up the ground, whereas he without doubt did his best work this week outside 50, and a quick look at his heat maps for the two games confirms that last week he spent by far the most time very close to goal, whereas yesterday he spent most of his time outside the 50. On the flank and up to the wing.

It was if we lose Dunny. It would keep a mature midfielder for a few years while others develop and his contested game is much better than Brads. He used to regularly get double figure contested possessions. He's probably slightly better than Brad IMO.
The Brad Crouch who had 20 contested possessions yesterday?

Career averages for contested possessions per game:

Matt- 11.01
Brad- 10.81

How long does that last for though. He was still training with us while recovering from the knee and his fitness program was implemented. He's behind but that doesn't stop him learning leading patterns and a different game style.
Just because they’re twins doesn’t mean they play the same way though.

It’s abundantly clear that Max is the better contested mark (career average of 1.82 v 1.02 per game) and that Ben is better on the lead.

And I remember reading prior to their draft that Max was the one who generally stayed closer to home, whereas Ben would push up the ground more.

This is why I don’t agree with those who say we shouldn’t get Ben, because then we’ll have two guys who are exactly the same in our front half.

They would compliment each other perfectly. Max stays closer to goal for the long kicks, and Ben would lead up- like he does at GCS.

Longer and Hickey weren't developed at our club and what pick did Pierce and Alabakis go?

It's like you expect all late picks to become something haha.
Billy Longer was 20 when he came to the club. Hickey came as a 21 year old.
tell me how it wasn’t on us to develop them?

Marshall came as a 21 yr old. Going by your logic on the others we didn’t develop Marshall either. North Ballarat did. Which further backs my point up about Skrob.

Billy Longer was 20 when he came to the club. Hickey came as a 21 year old.
tell me how it wasn’t on us to develop them?

Marshall came as a 21 yr old. Going by your logic on the others we didn’t develop Marshall either. North Ballarat did. Which further backs my point up about Skrob.
My logic is fairly easy to understand. We drafted Marshall. And who cares where Skrobalak has come from lol. Plenty make it to the AFL without AFL experience.

Bit stiff on Ratts. I reckon that he made some calls that gave us every chance to win i.e. small backline, zoned off through the guts to allow slow movement around the boundary and heavy inside game. If we were a little better than terrible going i50 and with set shots we wouldve won, not to mention those ridiculous turnovers late from Sincs and Hill.

Out of curiosity, what did Hinkley do that out foxed ratts? Re Amon... dmac going down crucified that match up...
They looked switched on from the get go ( motivation), they tackled harder and more often i.e beat St Kilda at their own game. he managed to get key players isolated - their FF for one, he got better matchups, they pressured more and he used Dixon to good effect i.e always took 2/3 saints players in a congested mark situation. Plan B for an injured player? dmac is no superstar- whoever went to Amon still had the responsibility of holding and didnt. Could have tagged Wines as well. Your small backline goes against what nearly every poster has said- where's the big key defender?

Flawed logic.
And yes, we did. As a 21 year old.
We also traded in Longer and Hickey at similar ages. So why don’t we get credited their development and only Marshall’s?
You can if you want. Hickey is playing well at the Swans right now so if you want to use him you can. I don't want to because he was in the Suns system first.

I mean you have no basis for your opinion that Skrob is a bad coach, you have no idea of him really and taking a rookie draft pick to become one of the best young ruckmen is an excellent effort and great coaching.

You can if you want. Hickey is playing well at the Swans right now so if you want to use him you can. I don't want to because he was in the Suns system first.

I mean you have no basis for your opinion that Skrob is a bad coach, you have no idea of him really and taking a rookie draft pick to become one of the best young ruckmen is an excellent effort and great coaching.
I’d actually coincide Marshall’s development with the arrival of Brendon Lade at the start of 2019, which (coincidentally) was Marshall’s breakout year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back